Rank the Star Trek films

t.bexon

Report this Apr. 25 2011, 4:57 pm

1) The Voyage Home- I feel the best story that has a moral concerning the flaws of modern man and it also has great humor and it gives every character a great moment. A classic

2) The Wrath of Khan- A great story of revenge. It also contains the ultimate villain and the best sacrafice in Star Trek history.

3) The Undiscovered Country- I loved the idea of Kirk coming to terms with the new ideas of peace with the Klingons, the entire film has a ton of character development with Kirk. Also I love Spock playing Sherlock Holmes aboard the Enterprise

4) The Motion Picture- Everyone says it's slow, boring, and dull. It has a slow pace, but it also has the great mysterious plot that comes closest to capturing the brilliant essence of the TV series on the big screen

5) First Contact- I love the Borg. I also love Picard discovering his thirst for revenge and overcoming it. The other great thing is Data and the Borg Queen. Data just comes out with a "Resistance is futile", and you know he's gonna own

6) The Search For Spock- I love the idea of the Genesis effect regenerating Spock, it makes sense in a way if you think of how the Genesis planet evolves and regenerates the dead atoms around it over time. Kruge was a great villain, and Klingons always make a movie better.

7) Star Trek '09- I saw this at a drive in, and while I was a little less sci fi experienced, I thought it was great. It still is a good film, with respectful plot and an alternate timeline that was the only way to protect the film from online trolls and die hard Trekkies

8) Insurrection- Underrated, to say the least. Some plot mistakes, some bad effects, but it was the closest they came to The Next Generation TV series. I liked it

9) Nemesis- Data's death sucked, and I didn't think Shinzon was a very good villain at all. This also is a total rip off of The Wrath of Khan, and it failed unforgivably. The Next Generation deserved a better send off. It had some good action and effects, just a lacking script.

10) The Final Frontier-  The plot was irritating, with a God entity and an irritating renegade Vulcan. I feel it left the whole "God" thing mostly unexplained. It didn't make sense. If it revealed itself as a being that appeared that way before it ended the movie, it would be better. The only thing I liked was the humor at the beginning

11) Generations- Kirk's death was a disgrace. It lacked great sacrafice and a matter of importance. The entire plot was over all screwed up, and I think Data's emotions chip side plot was just a mess. I do love the life forms song though

Any disagreements? Post your list and explain your differing choices. Prove me wrong

___Lucifer___

Report this Apr. 25 2011, 5:10 pm

How can anyone prove you wrong? Preferences are completely subjective.

My list:

11) Nemesis

Six of Nine

Report this Apr. 25 2011, 5:19 pm

1) First Contact

2) Star Trek 09'

3) Voyage Home

4)  The Wrath of Khan ( Nick Meyer did great)

5) Generations

6) The Motion Picture (Good For the Time)

7) Nemesis ( Would Be higher)

8)  Final Frontier

9) Innsurection

I feel like im missing some of them if so let me know

As a wise man once wrote, : "Nature decays, but latinum lasts forever".

Vger23

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 1:22 pm

My order (with space between representing the difference in my preference for each)

1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

11. Star Trek: Insurrection

Six of Nine

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 1:23 pm

1) First Contact

2) Star Trek 09'

3) Voyage Home

4)  The Wrath of Khan ( Nick Meyer did great)

5) Generations

6) The Motion Picture (Good For the Time)

7) Nemesis ( Would Be higher if they hadnt killed data)

8)  Final Frontier

9) The Undsoverd Country

10) Insurection

As a wise man once wrote, : "Nature decays, but latinum lasts forever".

Six of Nine

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 1:24 pm

11) The Search for Spock

(It wasnt much of a movie for me)

TheRikerLean

6. the wrath of khan

7. Insurrection

8. the voyage home

9. the undiscoverd country

10. the final frontier

11. generations

"Do you think it's possible for two people to go back in time and correct a mistake that never should have happened?" ... "On this ship, anything is possible."

Kirk'sGirl52

Report this Apr. 27 2011, 2:07 am

1)  Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home - Loved it mostly for it's well written humor and the comraderie between our beloved characters.

2) Star Trek '09 - I was truly baffled by this film.  I had just read a book about Kirk in the Academy and expected that story.  Was I ever shoked!  I kept shaking my head throughout the movie, wondering why they didn't adhere to that storyline.  Sooo, I decided to accept the fact that this was a different story all together and went back to see the film a second and thoroughly satisfying time.  I have since watched it about 11 times.  Love it every time!

3)  Star Trek - First Contact - (STNG) Again I loved the humor in this film and it was a very good plotline.  This one was so well written and entertaining.  I have seen it soooo many times.

4) Star Trek VI - The Undiscovered Country - I just really liked this story.  The acting was terrific.  One of the best!

5) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Hey, I sobbed when Spock died.  I mean, really, didn't everyone shed some tears.  Ricardo Montaban was absolutely riveting in this movie.  His rage radiated out of the screen.  Well acted.

6) Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - Didn't we all hate to see David die.  Still, we got our Spock back!  YAAA!

7) Star Trek: Generations - This was well done, but it hurt too much to see Kirk die, although, I thought it was quite cool to have the starship crash land.  That was awesome!

8) Star Trek: Insurrection - This, although entertaining, seemed too much like a TV plot.  I did love the interaction between Troi and Will! He is so HOT!

9) Star Trek: The Motion Picture - WHEW!  This had you spinning a bit.  Interesting storyline, but too cerebral.  It took forever to get across the spaceship.  I mean swirling colors and music going on and on. Boring!  How many pages of dialog were there in this film?  Couldn't have been too many.

10) Star Trek Nemesis - I just hated this storyline.  So much of the story was centered around the Captain and that made the story less interesting.  We lost Data too.  Nooooo...

11)  Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - I hated this movie.  It was confusing, aggravating, fustrating, and a mess.  The best scenes were the opening ones with Kirk climbing and Spock rescuing him....singing around the campfire...  (Did I get that right?) The rest of the movie was just lame and I believe it was the least grossing movie of the whole series.  $70,000,000.

So that's my take.  Live long and prosper and God bless you all! : - )

coastcityo

Report this Apr. 27 2011, 7:05 pm

Wrath of Kahn A+

Voyage Home A+

First Contact A

Undiscovered Country A-

Search for Spock B+

Insurrection B-

Generations C

Nemesis D+

TMP D-

TFF F

2009 F

"Lions and Gigers and Bears..." "Oh my."

lostshaker

Report this Apr. 27 2011, 8:14 pm

1. TMP - It was most like "The Cage", the episode which started it all.

lnagr1

9)WOK

10)TFF

11)TMP

Six of Nine

Report this Apr. 28 2011, 4:40 am

Quote: lostshaker @ Apr. 27 2011, 8:14 pm

>1. TMP - It was most like "The Cage", the episode which started it all.

>2. The Voyage Home - I love it for the whales, humor, no bad guy, and all the characters were showcased.

>3. The Undiscovered Country - It's about change, and I love the introspection both Kirk & Spock display, assertive of Gene Roddenberry characters.

>4. Insurrection - it is equivalent to TUC, and felt the most like TNG. I don't care if it seemed like an episode, because I prefer the majority of episodes to an average Hollywood movie.

>5. First Contact - I enjoyed the historical portrayal of Cochrane vs. the actual man, humanity pulling itself out of the gutter, and the metaphorical birth of Star Trek itself.

>6. The Search for Spock - It gives me closure after watching TWOK, and I don't have to watch TWOK to watch TSFS. I love McCoy in it.

>7. The Wrath of Kahn - IMO not Trek at its best, but I like how Meyer treated it as a submarine battle. I can't watch TWOK without watching TSFS.

>8. Generations - I love Kirk and Picard sitting on those horses. There are some problems, but it works moderately well. I do miss the Enterprise D.

>9. The Final Frontier - It wasn't the best story, but there were some character moments like the camp fire scenes. And the movie did try for high concept, even if its reach exceeded its grasp. I can still really enjoy this movie, because it was the first Trek I saw in theatres.

>10. Nemesis - There were too many moments that seemed "off", and I just don't think Baird was a suitable director. Frakes may have pulled the script off better.

You missed 09'

As a wise man once wrote, : "Nature decays, but latinum lasts forever".

Kirk'sGirl52

Report this Apr. 28 2011, 6:04 am

I'm glad someone else is making comments on the movies.  It makes for a more interesting read and understanding of how the movies affected each person.  Star Trek rocks!  We need a new series on regular TV BAD!!!

Vger23

Report this Apr. 28 2011, 10:42 am

I gave my rankings (by order of degree) earlier, but here are my brief rationales:

The "Upper Tier"

1.       Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan   This is the true classic of the bunch. Solid acting, tension and adventure all around. The character interplay was spot-on with the best episodes of the original. The themes of aging and life-change were well played, and the production had a very kinetic and colorful feel. It is nearly flawless. The climactic confrontation and the death of Spock are perfectly executed.  Ricardo Montalban…need we say more?

2.       Star Trek III: The Search for Spock   A great follow-up to the classic. This movie probably expanded the Trek universe more than anything that had come before. It also had a very unique plot with the crew pirating the Enterprise and defying orders. The themes of friendship and redemption are exceptionally well played, and the crew truly becomes a “family” in this outing. it is a solid and original adventure, even if the conclusion was a given.

3.       Star Trek: The Motion Picture   This is a grand, epic cinematic event! A good, although somewhat familiar “A-story” really takes a back seat to the great character development for Kirk and Spock in the “B-story” of the film. The production values are sky-high, and the work done on this film propelled the franchise through more than 2 decades that followed. Soundtrack, production design, and special effects are all “A+.” An underrated classic all the way.

4.       Star Trek (2009)   I view this very much the same as I viewed TMP. This is an epic MOVIE. And, in much the same way, the all-too-familiar “A-story” takes a back seat to the character-driven and highly successful “B-story.” Again, like TMP, this is a grand new vision of Star Trek with top-notch production values, special effects, musical score, etc. And, also like TMP…it sets the stage for what is to follow.  Basically, minor flaws in an otherwise fun and smart adventure that focused on the basics that made the original series great.

The "Solid Contributions"

5.       Star Trek: First Contact   FC is a flawed movie, but it is still a highly entertaining and fun story. You really can’t go wrong with the use of both time-travel AND the Borg. Fine performances all around from the cast accentuate a well-written and tight script. This feels much more like a movie that the previous 2 outings of the series did. This is TNG’s closest thing to a home run at the theater. The scenes between Stewart and Alfre Woodard are worth the ticket price alone and Frake's direction balances drama and tension perfectly with fun.

6.       Star Trek V: The Final Frontier   It’s a shame that the script was so poorly written because TFF manages to charm despite major flaws. The crew finally gets back to “boldly going” as we are whisked away on an Indiana Jones-like quest. Along the way, there are some GREAT character moments and some not-so-great slapstick and logic gaffes. Production values are thin, but the heart of the story and the charm of the characters wins out. It's the last Trek film that really inspired a sense of awe in me, even if it didn't deliver the goods.

7.       Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country   While this is a fan favorite for many, I find it to be somewhat lacking. Production values and rushed production schedule really show in this movie from my point-of-view, and the beloved cast is just too old. That being said, this is classic Trek allegory about turning points in history, racism, and the fears associated with great change. A crisp 1st and 4th act are weighted down by a slow and somewhat flabby mid-section. Nostalgic in that it was the classic cast's last journey.

8.       Star Trek: Nemesis   I don’t hate this film NEARLY as much as so many do. While there are plot holes and ridiculousness throughout, this is a pretty entertaining film. The villain isn’t nearly as interesting as he needs to be, but there’s some poignant character stuff throughout, a good deal of tension, and a great amount of action and adventure. Also, the scope of the film (and the production quality) is the only TNG outing that approaches the level of FC.

The "Lower Tier"

9.       Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home     Again, I know this is an unpopular rank position, and most fans regard this as a classic. There’s some great wit, charm and magic to this story that is undeniable. A socially-conscious plotline never deteriorates into preachy crap. However, it plays just a little too loosely with anything resembling common sense, and it’s not the dramatic space adventure I’ve come to know and love. Good FX and a great script…but more like an episode than a film.

10.   Star Trek: Generations    Unfortunately, this entire film is one gigantic plot device that serves to get Kirk and Picard together. Great special effects, some interesting sci-fi concepts and a decidedly “Trek” theme and message are overshadowed by a loopy plot, corny humor, a horrible decision to give Data emotions and a less than ideal execution of Kirk’s death. The opening with the original crew is well done, but the rest is confusing and unsatisfying.

11.   Star Trek: Insurrection    They were trying too hard here to capture the successes of TWOK and TVH, but missed the key point that HEART, DRAMA and PURPOSE are needed for a good Trek movie. This film has neither. Everything about it feels forced and contrived (humor, action). It literally goes nowhere / does nothing. It is not engaging, has no solid emotional center, and ultimately no drama. It is easily the most illogical (and irrelevant) of the franchise, and 80% of the TNG episodes are vastly superior, which is a cardinal sin.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!