Why was the Borg only interested with Humans not with Vulcans,Romulans,Klingons etc

prabhakarm

Report this Apr. 19 2011, 4:38 am

VORTEX8472

Report this Apr. 19 2011, 6:37 am

Quote: prabhakarm @ Apr. 19 2011, 4:38 am

>I always wondered why was the Borg assimilated and only interested in Humans rather than other species like the Vulcans,Romulans or Klingons. None of these worlds seem to have been affected too when the Borg came... seems like Borg had a special taste for Humans..

I agree, it would have been cool to see the borg battle the Romulans or Klingons.

The way I see it, the producers came to the conclusion that the audience (in general) preferred stories in which Earth was in jeopardy (i.e. the success of ST IV - The Voyage Home & ST VIII - First Contact).  So Earth (the centre of the Federation universe) was continually put in harms way.  I imagine an episode about Romulans or Klingons being attacked by the Borg, would be less entertaining then say "The Best of Both Worlds".

prabhakarm

Report this Apr. 19 2011, 6:41 am

Live long and Prosper

VORTEX8472

Report this Apr. 19 2011, 6:54 am

Quote: prabhakarm @ Apr. 19 2011, 6:41 am

>I am just trying to draw parallel with DS9, in that the Dominion never targetted just humans they targetted almost every race the alpha quadrant as such..but strangely Borg only targetted the Humans..

>dnt know how writers could miss out on that..a new threat (a new enemy) should be enemy to more than once species atleast...

I agree, it doesn't make sense, if you have an enemy with an unquenchable thirst for technology/knowledge, it stands to reason that they would go after every species on their path.  Especially given the Borg's emphasis on "efficiency/logic" their singular devotion to assimilating humanity seemed almost personal, like a hunter trying to catch an illusive prey.

The Dominion was the Anti-Federation, based on distrust and brute force, not mutual respect & cooperation.  So when the Dominion invaded the Alpha Quadrant they were seeking to destroy or conquer all the major players (Federation, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians).  In that respect it is difficult to pin down what exactly the Borg saw in Humanity that compelled them to attack twice, without paying any attention to other Alpha Quadrant species.  I suspect the Borg, like the Dominion recognized that Earth/Humanity was their greatest threat and went after it with guns blazing.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 19 2011, 9:25 am

The stories are human-centric so just because we only SAW them targeting humans doesn't mean they were only targeting humans. If we told the story from other perspectives, such as the aliens being assimilated in Dark Frontier, they would probably feel they were specially targeted.
Humans/Earth are also the centerpiece of the UFP and the major power player in the alpha quadrant; take them out and the rest are easier to deal with.
Lastly, if you read Destiny, it was a couple humans who were the founding borg drones, one of which was the core used to create the queen so no doubt there is a special relationship there.

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Apr. 19 2011, 9:58 am

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Apr. 19 2011, 2:14 pm

LOL true I don't actually think I've seen any assimilated Vulcans, except for Tuvok (Voyager) in "Unimatrix Zero".

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 19 2011, 3:09 pm

There were assimilated Klingons in both First Contact and VOY. Besides, did you closely examine every drone for pointed ears?

You're right Trekwolf, I'd only pay half that price for that figure.  Of all the significant STO characters, why make THAT one into a figure?  For that matter, I'd rather have New Frontier figures.

ConservativeTrekker007

Report this Apr. 19 2011, 9:16 pm

I wouldn't say they weren't interested in the other worlds. As a previous post points out. There were Klingon and Romulan.....Even Cardassian Drones. (Seen mostly in First Contact) And a backstory for First Contact was that The Borg sent a Cube into Romulan, Klingon, and Cardassian space as well. I cant remember for the life of me if that was actually in the novel or not. Been a while since I read that one. Anyways, It may seem they are overly infatuated with Earth since we see it from a Federation Perspective. (ie The Show) However, If it was indeed the case....That they were concentrating on the Federation in particular. I submit to you that it does make sense. Strategically the Federation is the largest of the big 4 powers easily. Not 1 of the powers (Assuming the odds were even) would be able to take the Federation head on. The Federation has the most worlds as well as resources. If they were able to take out the Federation first. And able to take advantage of all the minerally resourceful planets within it.....The others would fall alot easier. Of all the powers in the Alpha/Beta Quadrants. The Federation is the biggest and strongest. Strategically, You'd want to focus on them first. Even if they aren't a Military Type of power.

"I didn't start it.....But I'm liable to finish it!"

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 20 2011, 5:03 am

Ensign Hutton

Report this Apr. 20 2011, 10:08 am

The Vulcans would have been to irritating for the collective.

I have been watching Star Trek for 2 years. As a hard core Trekkie, I defend the series against star wars. You can't be both worlds. Either your an intelligent species and want to corallate or your a scum and just fight all the time. Peace and long life!

Ghostmojo

Report this Apr. 20 2011, 11:10 am

A good question. Unlike the previous poster - I would have thought the Vulcans would have been most definitely worth incorporating ...

___Lucifer___

Report this Apr. 20 2011, 11:15 am

Quote: prabhakarm @ Apr. 19 2011, 4:38 am

Because humans taste like chicken.

Ghostmojo

Report this Apr. 20 2011, 11:24 am

I thought we were supposed to taste like pork - not that I would know of course (never having been stranded up a mountain in South America after an air crash) ...

zapp77

Report this Apr. 20 2011, 1:50 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 20 2011, 5:03 am

>Well said. After Pearl Harbor, America had the same attitude- we want Japan but Germany is the bigger threat so it has to be dealt with first.

This isn't an entirely accurate representation, Germany may have surrendered first, but we were fighting them at the same time.  Our forces were divided, mainly the Marines in the Pacific, and the Army in Europe.

Oh Snap.