Why was Q not called for or never "appeared" for help during the Dominion War

prabhakarm

Report this Apr. 18 2011, 6:05 am

I always thought why Q was not a regular feature in DS9. As if he stopped caring about the humans...and ofcourse he could have been a valuable help during the Dominion wars... it would have been nice if there were connections drawn and established between the prophets (worm hole aliens) and Q.

Imagine Q with all his powers against the Dominion the shape shifters...

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 18 2011, 6:11 am

Let me illustrate. I have a vision for how I want my yard to be with the grass and gardens just so. In my yard, I also have dung beetles and a mole. I let the beetles do as they please because they dispose of my dogs's feces. I let the mole alone because he amuses me and keeps the beetles in check. Sometimes, our agendas work together and we cross paths cooperatively. Other times, the mole threatens my plants and I have to take action against him.

The Q have a view of a grand universal plan and sometimes use those bugs to accomplish it. When they don't need them, they don't get involved in the details of their existence. Just because something is big and powerful, and has a vision for some lesser beings doesn't mean it is guiding every move of their existence or should get involved.

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Apr. 18 2011, 6:23 am

He did not want to owe Q for mankind going forward.

Much as Kirk and Apollo's battle.

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 18 2011, 7:04 am

Quote: Trekwolf164 @ Apr. 18 2011, 6:23 am

>With Q there is always a cost Picard saw it as a test of resolve in humanity's ability to achieve to allow Q to solve problems other than those he attributed to Q in the first place.

>He did not want to owe Q for mankind going forward.

>Much as Kirk and Apollo's battle.

Well said. If they had called on Q for help, 1. He probably would not have helped because he's never shown any interest in playing the "Deus ex Machina". Like the ancient deities, he's generally only interested in helping those who show some interest in helping themselves. 2. If he had, he would have exacted a far higher price than the Prophets did when they stopped the Jem'Hadar in Sacrifice of Angels.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

prabhakarm

Report this Apr. 19 2011, 6:55 am

in that sense Q can in every right could show abt the oncoming of Dominion too..infact Dominion was a threat to entire Alpha quad...

i thought  DS9 wanted to leave the magic of Q behind and wanted to go after the prophets because they wanted to take a dig at or showcase the message of religious beliefs of the people n their mysteries in the real world...

Live long and Prosper

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 19 2011, 9:18 am

1 If Q had gotten involved they wouldn't have been able to have the same quality social commentary on warfare.
2 If Q had gotten involved fans would cry they were stealing thunder and concepts from TNG.
3 Omnipotent benefactors were already involved in the story. Bringing in more would have gotten a little ridiculous.

ConservativeTrekker007

Report this Apr. 19 2011, 10:52 pm

I don't think Q cared about the war. He wasn't one to be called upon for assistance. He showed up when he wanted and did what he wanted. He wasn't a tool by an means. I miss him though. Very entertaining.

"I didn't start it.....But I'm liable to finish it!"

Ceci n'est pas un
username

Report this Apr. 20 2011, 3:29 pm

"Q was the one who showed the TNG Enterprise crew about the oncoming of Borg threat and their superior weaponry..which sort of helped the humans to prepare if nt be ready when they encountered them..."

Q only showed picard about the borg in "Q who?" because, if you remember, Q had been kicked out of the continum and wanted to be picard's guide to give him somthing to do and showed picard the borg to illustrate why he needed Q's help. q only interferes with human kind when he is bored (in next gen. in voyager he wanted somthing DS9 was pure chance and in "Deja Q" he was kicked out)

Captain Kirk: There's always another pretty lady just beyond the next nebula

Vorta_the_point

Report this Apr. 22 2011, 1:47 pm

Plus there's always the problem of how one actually goes about contacting Q in the first place...

n5tiflk

Report this Apr. 23 2011, 5:50 pm

I am glad that he never showed up never liked Q that much and I for one did not miss him.

jamesspock1

Report this Apr. 23 2011, 7:36 pm

Anyway it's not Q's business to interfear in humans affair unless it is to test them for his own knowledge, Anyway he was probabily watching to see who would win!

TheRikerLean

Report this Apr. 24 2011, 6:33 pm

Becasue the writers only thought to throw de Lancie in for one episode? One too many if you ask me, he was always in top form pissing off Picard.

Mantaray

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 12:18 pm

Q was a TNG character.  End of story.

Royalsfanen

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 1:18 pm

I wouldn't have minded Q being in a few more episodes, just not when it comes to the Dominion War. As long as they didn't make him a mainstay on the show, I think it would have been good to see him a few more times in DS9.

wissa

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 2:07 pm

Q never showed up because he knew the federation was going to win.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image