Janeway's worst decision

Created by: KelisThePoet

KelisThePoet

Report this Apr. 12 2011, 11:05 am

As my disclaimer indicates, I love Janeway, and really do hope this thread does not become an excuse for those who hate her to post bluntly negative stuff.  We all understand that some people just don't like Janeway, just as all the captains have a section of the Star Trek fanbase that simply doesn't like them.

What I hope to do with this thread is maybe generate some more nuanced discussion about the complex moral decisions Janeway had to make.

I included the three decisions that seem most overtly presented as moral problems (the destruction of the Array, the deal with the Borg, and the Captain Ransom incident), as well as three less emphasized decisions from individual episodes that personally bothered me.  And, of course, I included an "other" option, because I know some people will have other individual episodes that personally bothered them (far too many to list or even anticipate).

Falor was a prosperous merchant who went on a journey to gain greater awareness: Through storms he crossed the Voroth Sea/ To reach the clouded shores of Raal/ Where old T’Para offered truth./ He traveled through the windswept hills/ And crossed the barren Fire Plains/ To find the silent monks of Kir./ Still unfulfilled, he journeyed home/ Told stories of the lessons learned/ And gained true wisdom by the giving. – Falor’s Journey, “Innocence”

VORTEX8472

Report this Apr. 12 2011, 11:29 am

When I watch "Dark Frontier" I can't help but feel that Janeway was a little out of character, she was so committed to upholding Starfleet/Federation principles and ideals and then in a blink of an eye she wants to raid a borg sphere and literally steal technology.

Janeway's behavior in regards to "Our little Heist" (as Janeway so eloquently put it) seemed in stark contrast to what we had observed of her previously (i.e. Caretaker, State of Flux, Random Thoughts).

Don't get me wrong I loved the episode overall.

Xule

Report this Apr. 12 2011, 1:08 pm

I think her crew would all agree that letting Neelix feed them was a pretty horrible decision!

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 12 2011, 2:48 pm

Neelix be the cook, lol.

I am torn between deal with the borg and caretaker array.  I feel leaving the array intact wasn't THAT much a threat to the area since the tech was probably beyond the Kazon to figure out, but at the same time, without the caretaker, I doubt she could have figured out how to use the array to get home.  The deal with the borg I feel was bad not for what immediately happened, but she may have made a terrible enemy for the UFP in the long term.

So I will wait to vote to allow myself to be influenced.

Shumsky

Report this Apr. 12 2011, 4:00 pm

I would say destroying the array. But destroying the array gives Janeway guilt for stranding the crew in Delta Q. for the sake of morality or "doing whats right" and that was the basis for her character development, so I'm not sure.

P.S. Am I the only person on this boards who doesn't hate Neelix?

Ezri Janeway

Report this Apr. 12 2011, 4:26 pm

Quote: Shumsky @ Apr. 12 2011, 4:00 pm

>P.S. Am I the only person on this boards who doesn't hate Neelix?

Gosh no, I almost cried when he left, Tuvok did not help when he did his little dance!

"Let me see if Ive got this straight. You're risking the ship, the crew, and the mission on the assumptions that Helkara and Leishman are engineering geniuses, Tharp is a piloting savant, our transporter chief can work miracles, and the Breen are unwilling to sacrifice themselves in a kamikaze attack?" "Yup." "Damn I LOVE this job."

Shumsky

Report this Apr. 12 2011, 4:52 pm

Quote: Ezri Janeway @ Apr. 12 2011, 4:26 pm

>I wasnt a big fan of Neelix over the time he was fussing around Kez, it probably annoyed me more than it did Kez.   But once that stopped he began to really grow on me quickly and I thought he was a great character.

yup me too. Neelix was ok

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein

KelisThePoet

Report this Apr. 12 2011, 7:52 pm

I love Neelix, but I wouldn't love to eat his food.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 4:33 am

I liked Neelix. He was deeper and more complex than he us often given credit. Highly under appreciated.

I'm surprised ordering the sacrifice of Tuvix isn't on the list as much heat as that generated.

Xule

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 5:15 am

I loved Neelix! Who couldn't love a man fun enough to make a Vulcan danse! I cried like a bitch at that scene actually...

willowtree

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 5:20 am

I believe destroying the caretaker's array was the right decision. If you think about it, the caretaker initated a self destruct sequence. If Voyager hadn't been there fighting with the Kazon then the array would have blown up and that would be it. But it was Voyager's fight that damaged the self destruct sequence. By blowing it up, they restored the chain of events that would have happened if they had not  been there in the first place

As for making an alliance with the borg...can someone suggest a different way for Voyager to make it through Borg space without being assimilated? Going around it was  not an option, so how would they expect to go through borg space safely on their own????

Going after Ransom.....this was a man who corrupted everything that Janeway and the crew and every member of starfleet stood for. Imagine if other species found out about what Ransom did, but they never encountered Voyager...if their only knowledge of what the federation is and does is based on Ransom, well then that paints the federation as something that it's not. and if a federation vessle should return, they will have tons of enemies waiting

Random thoughts...ok this one I didn't really agree with. Yes I understand and agree that they should respect the laws of the cultures they visit. And if B'Elanna had knowingly and willingly done somethng wrong then it might have been different. but  I do thnk they should have gotten her out of there sooner.

Omega...I definately think she was right to go after it

and Neelix....I love Neelix

Sora

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 8:39 am

willowtree

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 9:14 am

Quote: Sora @ Apr. 13 2011, 8:39 am

>Breaking the Prime Directive by giving the Hirogen Holodeck technology, I feel was her worst, but I love how it comes back to get her in Season 7 in Flesh and Blood.

It was NOT breaking the Prime directive since the Hirogen were already warp capable

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 10:36 am

Playing pirate against the Borg. What a terrible risk for her to take so as to get home faster. To expose her entire crew to assimilation was a very poor choice.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 11:14 am

I don't question her going after Ransom. I almost feel like she had a duty to do that, mostly because he left her open to attack and kidnapped members of her crew.

As for willowtree asking what her other borg options were, there was a way since Ransom never encountered them. She also knew for 3 years that she was likely to gave to cross borg space so she had that long to plan on what to do.

Users browsing this forum: Commander_Zelkar, darmokattanagra, Commander_Zelkar