The Year of Hell That Never Happened

Created by: Matthias Russell

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 3:16 pm

Do you like the way Year of Hell ended?  Should it have ended differently?  In the "Before and After" alternate timeline, the year of hell was mentioned.  It occurred in the episode with the same name.  After all the trauma experienced, the effects and memories of it were erased.  Did you like that ending or should there have been lasting consequences and memories?

To clarify, in the second choice the events are erased but some or all remember what happened.  For the 3rd and 4th, assume Voyager defeats the timeship without ramming it.  In the 3rd, Voyager takes minor damage and some crewmen die while the timeline doesn't reset but ends up in the state it was when the Krenim timeship is destroyed.  The 4th is the same as the 3rd but Voyager ends up in the state it was in before it rammed the Krenim ship, extremely beat-up with massive casualties.

DocFanFive

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 3:29 pm

I wished someone had remembered it... but i liked it more or less...

Call me Doc, 'k? StarTrek.com's Resident Holographic Whovian since 2010.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 4:48 pm

At least it was one of the episodes that made sense when Voyager was totally fixed by the end.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 5:26 pm

I know that this episode is generally pretty popular, but I didn't actually like it that much. Kind of like that one where Chakotay meets that girl but he doesn't remember her, (Sorry, having huge troubles with thinking up episode names today) and that one where it was in the future, and it was the "warship" Voyager, and the Doctor was there.......... the kind of episodes where no one remembers anything by the end kind of bug me. It's almost like a waste of time to watch.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 12 2011, 5:08 am

VORTEX8472

Report this Apr. 12 2011, 5:39 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 12 2011, 5:08 am

>Yeah, I hated the forgettable girlfriend episode, "Unforgettable" I believe. But I loved how Chakotay used pen and paper to remember. Loved the warship Voyager episode as it was a Doctor episode and was a wonderful commentary on historical perspective. "Year of Hell" like many episodes was good but frustrating how time was altered in the end. My biggest issue with VOY was they pushed the reset button too often. It was a cheap trick to avoid consequences and for a writer to avoid coming up with a more substantial and creative ending.

Good point, its like VOY writers tried desperately to keep the series "stand alone" only episodes, with very few if any reoccurring characters/story arcs.  On the other hand DS9 was almost the exact opposite, the writing team intentionally created problems for the characters that had lasting repercussions, it helped drive character development and fueled many of DS9's best episodes.

willowtree

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 7:10 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 12 2011, 5:08 am

this is a common misconception. Voyager hardly ever pushed the reset button. In fact Year of Hell is the ONLY time in which the reset button was pushed.

(and by reset button I mean that at the end of the episode they are litteraly back where they started and NOBODY remembers what happened)

Sora

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 8:35 am

I have always loved Year of Hell. It's one of my top favorite episodes of Trek ever! However I really wish they had made it longer than two episodes. I kinda wish they had made all of Season 4 the year of hell and had them go into Season 5 having to find ways to repair the ship and get things back together again, and get things somewhat fixed, but never quite picture perfect until much later, if ever. I would've liked to have seen Voyager get home in early season 7, and then have a whole season or at least a large portion of a season, seeing Voyager go on Alpha Quadrent missions again, so how the crew reacts to being home, and how home reacts to them. It would've been great.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 10:40 am

Great episode. Yes it was all "reset" with the story intact, but think about it. That story allowed the writers to toy with stories and things they could not ever have dealt with in the "regular" show. And the Krenim timevessel had done incalcuable damage and needed to be destroyed.

I loved it, and it allowed the nitty gritty side Janeway to be exposed without having to turn her into Rambo like they did in "macrovirus" or whatever that dumb episode was named.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 11:08 am

Quote: willowtree @ Apr. 13 2011, 7:10 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 12 2011, 5:08 am

Not true. Off the top of my head I can give you the 100th episode with future chakotay and kim along with the second episode where paris and janeway are pulled back in time. Kes sensed a change but remembered nothing. There was also no memory of events from "before and after" I believe.

j3067

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 11:18 am

The 'Reset Button' also reset my enjoyment of the episode from 10 to 0.

willowtree

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 12:13 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 13 2011, 11:08 am

Quote: willowtree @ Apr. 13 2011, 7:10 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 12 2011, 5:08 am

In Timeless at the end "future" harry leaves a note for Harry so he's aware of that alternate timeline...so not a true reset.

at the end of Time and again Kes DOES remember exactly what happened

KES: I had to know.
NEELIX: Know? Know what?
KES: The planet. Everyone was killed. There was this terrible explosion

Before and after is funny. At the end of the episode Kes is fully aware of everything that happened, all her jumps. but technically that episode never actually happened, but I wouldn't call it a reset

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 14 2011, 4:24 am

To me, the reset button means there are no felt effects. Of those 3, I will give you Timeless had a felt and remembered effect in that the alternative was documented and it no doubt affected Harry deeply getting that message.

willowtree

Report this Apr. 14 2011, 5:16 am

it might not have been documented but Kes did remember the alternate timeline with the exlplosion, so I wouldn't count that as a reset

to me a reset is when NOBODY remembers what happend and they're litterly back to where they started, like Year of Hell

Ceci n'est pas un
username

Report this Apr. 20 2011, 8:35 pm

wasn't Kes supposed to warn janeway about the year of hell in that episode where she aged backwards? one of them forgot. And also, they met that small craft at the end after the reset just like they had at the beginning. shouldn't it have happened again and again and again like in "time squared"