Why we need a TNG/DS9 and Voyager animation movie

Created by: DammitJim6200

DammitJim6200

Report this Apr. 10 2011, 4:18 pm

Look..To all the fans out there who relish good Star Trek, we lost..That untalented BUFFOON JJ Abrams manage to make Star Trek look stupid, THANX, JJ, only you could do it... But some of use want good Trek back.....When TNG first came on TV we were mezmorized, it was awesome, and when Captain Jean Luc Picard step on the bridge we knew we finally found our true Captain, a distinguished man, strong yet not like some other CAPTAIN who is a lothario full of lust and vigor dying beam down and sleep with the next alien bimbo at the next planet...TNG was a hit series, stories were great, great characters anf "The Best Of Both Worlds" is still regarded as the greatest Trek episode ever! then came Ds9, dark but interesting and Voyager with the great Captain Janeway and her bold crew, JJ Abrams took that away from us, instead of moving forward he went backwards and gave us an immature, rotten, foul, idiotic version of TOS, do we need this ? NO ..Today they can do anything with CGI, time has passed, people aged Patrick Stewart and the rest of the cast could provide their voices for an awesome animation movie, it has to happen..Generations must not Forget when Star Trek was good..ANSWER if you agree with me..

WkdYngMan

Report this Apr. 10 2011, 7:39 pm

Listen to DJ, for his other accounts no longer have a voice.

rocketscientist

Report this Apr. 10 2011, 9:00 pm

>> Look..To all the fans out there who relish good Star Trek, we lost..

I love good "Star Trek," which is why I loved ST XI, and didn't care much for VOY, ENT, INS, and NEM.

>> That untalented BUFFOON JJ Abrams manage to make Star Trek look stupid,

On the contrary, I thought JJ made "Star Trek" great again.  I loved his rebirth of the original characters.  I thought he, Orci, Kurtzmann, Nimoy, and the rest of the actors nailed what made "Star Trek" a classic.

>> THANX, JJ, only you could do it...

Well, Rick Berman obviously couldn't, based on his failures with ENT, INS, and NEM (and GEN sucked too).

>> But some of use want good Trek back....

But it is back!  At least in theaters.

>> When TNG first came on TV we were mezmorized, it was awesome,

Speaking for myself, I wasn't mesmerized by the pilot of TNG at all.  Nor did I consider it awesome.  I thought there was some potential.  Some of the characters seemed really interesting, particularly Picard, Data, and Worf (they're all still my favorites) and the new Enterprise looked great, but I didn't think the pilot, or season 1 and most of season 2 was great at all.  Those first two seasons certainly couldn't compete with TOS at all imo.

>> and when Captain Jean Luc Picard step on the bridge we knew we finally found our true Captain, a distinguished man, strong yet not like some other CAPTAIN who is a lothario full of lust and vigor dying beam down and sleep with the next alien bimbo at the next planet...

>> TNG was a hit series, stories were great, great characters anf "The Best Of Both Worlds" is still regarded as the greatest Trek episode ever!

BOBW definitely kicked ***.  I remember thinking how it was far superior to the incredibly dissapointing TFF, which I think came a few months earlier.

>> then came Ds9, dark but interesting and Voyager with the great Captain Janeway and her bold crew,

DS9 was awesome, better than TNG imo.  VOY was just TNG all over again with a generally weaker cast of characters (though Seven and the EMH were great, they kept me interested up through season 6).

>> JJ Abrams took that away from us,

Actually, thanks to his direction of the franchise, especially the low ratings for VOY, the cancellation of ENT, and the poorly reviewed and box office for INS and NEM, Rick Berman did that.

>> instead of moving forward he went backwards and gave us an immature, rotten, foul, idiotic version of TOS,

On the contrary, I found Abrams rebirth of "Star Trek," to be highly respecful of TOS.  Leonard Nimoy, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig, Patrick Stewart, Jonathan frakes, Nicholas Meyer, and William Shatner all thought he nailed the essence of TOS, it's action, humor, sexiness, and those classic characters.  Fans and former TNG/DS9/VOY producers Ron Moore and Bryan Fuller also thought so.

>> do we need this ?

Well, personally, I don't need any new entries in the franchise.  I'm more than happy and content with what there is already.  That said, I really did enjoy ST XI.  Heck, I loved the film!

>> NO ..Today they can do anything with CGI, time has passed, people aged Patrick Stewart and the rest of the cast could provide their voices for an awesome animation movie, it has to happen..Generations must not >> Forget when Star Trek was good..ANSWER if you agree with me..

So I wasn't supposed to answer if I have a dissenting opinion?  Wouldn't that get kind of boring having a thread where everyone thinks the same thing as you?  Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose of this MB?

KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

rocketscientist

Report this Apr. 10 2011, 9:27 pm

Quote: WkdYngMan @ Apr. 10 2011, 7:39 pm

>Listen to DJ, for his other accounts no longer have a voice.

Other accounts?

KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

AtoZ2

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 3:41 am

They must have cut DJ's hours back at the local Dairy Queen.   The odds are high that this thread will no doubt  turn into one of his Picard /TNG Tantrum threads.

"Thank Pitch Forks and Pointed Ears"

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 4:32 am

Vger23

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 6:41 am

I needed some laughs this morning. Thanks for posting yet another tepid masterpiece, DJ.

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 7:58 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 11 2011, 4:32 am

>ST09 IS good star trek. It isn't prime universe like I'd like. I don't believe a reset was needed but the movie doesn't deserve to be completely dismissed. It was a quality story with characters true to their roots. I would like to have fresh 24th century prime material and feel there is a market for it but not in spite of the new movie. Animated is the best way to test the waters if it were done but a film in the setting will never happen so move past denial.

Well the clever thing about JJ's AU is that it avoids the otherwise inevitable fan-nitpicks and leaves the movieverse open to new material. In other words, new adventures.

As for the 24th century being revisited, it could work. But it will most likely not happen. Rather than focus on the medium the focus if it were to happen should be on creating a solid story. Far worse than no movie I think would be a semi-hashed plot that really lost all substance of what made the series good.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 11:03 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

An animation movie like a Disney movie? Like Rio or something.

I just can't imagine a serious movie-length Star Trek animated movie.

I think the Clone Wars format might be more suited if anything.

What about Titan AE, a superb work of animated science fiction? Animated has all but gone CGI since. The nice thing about animated/CGI is the overhead can be cheaper since you don't need sets and big name actors aren't as important. When you do land a big name actor, you don't have to pay them as much.

ColPeg

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 12:52 pm

Brent is not too kean (nor Michael, nor Rene') of donning the make up.

BUT if they had the option of voice-overs for their characters - they'd probably jump at it.

Patrick is so use to being the director of the CIA on American Dad - it'd be no problem.

Yes, Yes, Yes - go for it!

"If Man is to survive, he will have learned to take delight in the essential difference between people and cultures" -Gene Roddenberry -=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Col. P. A. Stevens CO, USS Code Talker NCC-1195

DocFanFive

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 3:40 pm

ANYTHING Voyager is good by me!

Call me Doc, 'k? StarTrek.com's Resident Holographic Whovian since 2010.

excellentking55

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 7:33 pm

@DammitJim6200. Hmmm, you could be right about JJ going back in time to the old Enterprise 1701 with the backdrop of the sleek "FIRST CONTACT" model. I felt very let down on Star Trek XI. I always like looking forward to the latest gadgets and concepts . Even ensign Laurin Ro as captain, she's got guts and a bad attitude jointly with arrogance. A great mix with captain Will Riker. Then you have to promote Myles O`Brian to captain, he may not have the savvy and swagger Picard has, huh?. You have to do some shuffling or get a new Bridge Crew altogether. You might want Ghuinan to replace Diana Troy as counselor. Or perhaps a rejuvenated BORG as a permanant weapons officer tuned in to the Borg network.

The next captain of the flagship Enterprise should have Riker type stature, maybe Brad Pitts. Then you know the ratings would go through the roof as Jolie Angelina and Jenifer Aniston make guest appearances in their Starfleet authorized jump suits. Man I could see this now. The gossip shows would have a field day. Why not @ DammitJim6200?

AIM HIGH

Trajan

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 8:02 pm

[quote]

[/quote]

I agree with you that it would be great to see Trek move into animation.  I don't ever want to see live action done away with, but a good animated series or film to supplement the franchise is a great idea.  To me.

I'd particularly like to see a series cover years 4 and 5 of the original Enterprise's 5 year mission, as well as a series that could focus on the crews of every Star Trek incarnation, instead of just one.

As for the latest Star Trek film, I would disagree.  Was it geared a little too much towards the general consumer?  Yes.  Was I pleased with everything, or everyone, featured in the film?  No.  But overall it was a good film, and went a long way in reinvigorating the franchise.

If the film introduced Star Trek to a new audience, who in turn went back and got in touch with the orignial series, would that reall be such a bad thing in the end?

Some of you guys need to let it go.  I love TOS and TNG, always have, always will.  Nothing will ever top Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley as Kirk, Spock, and Bones.  Don't go into a Star Trek film expecting that.  You will invariably be disappointed.

Go into the next Star Trek film with no expectations.  Experience it for what it was meant to be, and not what you think it should be.  You might just enjoy yourself.

Remember: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.  That is Star Trek.  And that is life.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 8:32 pm

Depends... if the movie became another 'epic adventure' like Star Wars: The Clone Wars then a big fat NO! Animation doesn't always have the same effect as live action... but I believe it could be good. All I ask is a great storyline and reasnobly good animation if a project like this is to be done.
But I enjoyed ST09. It was young and 'hip'... it had an all right storyline... other parts of Trek have better, but more have worse! (e.g. TMP! Nyarrrgh!)

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 9:56 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>An animation movie like a Disney movie? Like Rio or something.

Get someone of the calibre of say Hayao Miyazaki on the job and it could still work with cell-frame. Like I said -- the key point is not the medium. It is the story and the directing. But this is all just speculative at this point because it is not at all likely to happen in the near future. You'd want a good animator, quality voice actors, and a well written storyline.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Users browsing this forum: JOYOFVGR