We need more audio books

Chief Warrant Officer
Finn

Report this Apr. 07 2011, 9:31 am

I think I have every single Star Trek audio book, and it barely covers one book shelf.  From TOS to Voyager.  There are only 3 Voyager audio books which is really disappointing.  At least they're read by Mulgrew and Picardo.

Why so few Star Trek audio books?

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 07 2011, 11:27 am

Not enough interest by fans to validate an investment. Most fans ignore the books, let alone if they were audio which is more expensive. Pocket Books and Star Trek also put minimal effort into marketing the books which is a shame.

I loved "Stone and Anvil"on audio. It was brilliantly read with sound effects.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Apr. 12 2011, 10:20 pm

I never got into them myself be it Star Trek or others, but is is too bad that as a fan of them they don't have as many for you to enjoy.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Promethea

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 4:05 pm

Funny really when there are so many Doctor Who audiobooks despite presumably a smaller fanbase. But I think they are produced by a separate company under license or something whereas Paramount would probably never allow that.

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 13 2011, 5:07 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong -- but I think Dr Who is done by Big Finish, and Star Trek audio is based on audible.com, and produced by Simon and Shuster audio. I don't know that Doctor Who has a significantly smaller fanbase though, either. There are a lot of Dr Who fans out there, and it is one of the longest running serials on TV! It was one of the longest running serials even immediately before that hiatus between Sylvester McCoy episodes and the telly-movie with Paul McGann. But I would like to see ("hear") more Star Trek audio on the 'Net or CDs. Best bet might be to campaign at audible or Simon and Schuster to let them know there is a demand. (is there a significant demand??)

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Promethea

Report this Apr. 14 2011, 11:46 am

Camorite

Report this Apr. 14 2011, 2:09 pm

though i don't expect to see them, i do agree that we do need more trek audio books.

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 15 2011, 2:44 am

Quote: Promethea @ Apr. 14 2011, 11:46 am

>I would have thought that there would be fewer Who fans than Trek fans because until recently it wasn't shown very prominently on US TV and so it was mostly a British or anglophile phenomenon, but who knows. There's only one way to find out ... FIGHT!

Well... that's a very US-centric assumption if you don't mind my saying!

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Promethea

Report this Apr. 15 2011, 5:14 am

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Apr. 15 2011, 6:59 am

I was commuting to Virginia from NY every couple of weeks and Trek audio books really helped make Route 95 a more pleasent ride.

Plus I surprised there is not more interest by people who can't see to read but I guess some may prefer braille.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Apr. 15 2011, 10:55 am

With the advent of the Internet- would it not make sense to set up some kind of "podcast" that would include the latest novels in audio form? Even a basic reading without sound effects would be enjoyable.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 17 2011, 12:25 am

Quote: Promethea @ Apr. 15 2011, 5:14 am

>Actually I'm British. Of course it's absolutely huge over here, but I remember when the series started up again a few years ago, some of my American friends had vague memories of Tom Baker's scarf and that was about it. But of course, fandom is always ahead of the curve of regular viewers especially these days with internet communities.

I was in Australia at that time and I don't mind telling you it was shown Waaay more than Star Trek over there. And at a more popular timeframe too. And I think (don't quote me on this) but I think the company that does Dr Who audio is also a British company.

#Jedi: You might run into copyright issues with that one -- but check out "Darker Projects" on itunes they have podcast style audioplays. (or Trek and Who and lots of stuff.)

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

CaptPapa

Report this Apr. 18 2011, 7:14 pm

I love audio books in general - and of course Star Trek audio books in particular.  My commute is about 45 minutes each way and listening to books really helps pass the time and relieve the stress.

ME