STO Customer Support is a Joke

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 1:56 pm

Twice in the past few weeks, I have been unable to log into Star Trek Online.  I ran the diagnostic tool I was asked to run which was not located at the location Atari customer support said it was, disabled my firewall and virus software, and providing this information.

The response from customer support- "Your firewall is blocking your connectivity."  No matter how many times I tell them my firewall is disabled, they insist I am having a firewall problem.

When I said I need to speak with a person about this issue to resolve this problem otherwise I will have no choice than to stop paying and playing, customer service expresses sorrow that I feel that way, insist I have a firewall issue, and offer no further help.

At this point, I have to discourage buying and subscribing to STO based upon their customer service skills. Many players have complained about the lack of support Atari provides and they do nothing to respond.  Before investing in STO, be sure you or a close friend are highly knowledgeable about networking because STO will not provide useful assistance.

j3067

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 2:44 pm

MR,

Is the problem constant or can you log on some of the time? Does the launcher open, or does the problem start when you press "engage"?  Do you have another PC or laptop in the house that encounters the problem?

Also, it may be helpful to download a packet sniffer, like Wireshark (it is free) and run it at the same time that you attempt to launch the game.  You should see packets leaving your PC with a destination between 208.95.184.0 - 208.95.185.255.  If you see what specific address for which the packets are destined you can run a trace route:

Start>Run>cmd>tracert 208.95.185.X.  If you see a couple of successful hops then that should help to rule out your firewall and you can send them a screeny of that output.  If you see output that looks like this:

1) *   *   *

2) *   *   *

Then you may have a PC issue.

Another thing to try is:

Start>run>msconfig

From their you can select the tab for startup.  from there you can prevent anti-virus or firewall items from starting when your computer reboots.  Also, if you see something with a string of random characters in the start list then there is a good chance you picked up a virus.

Hope that helps.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 5:02 pm

The problem is I cannot reach the account server to enter my name and password. I click my startup icon and I get the white window saying "loading please wait" then nothing ever happens. For days I've been trying but to no avail.

Thanks for the input. I've exhausted every troubleshooting option my friends and I can come up with.

Part of my problem with Atari is look at the good advice you give to try and fix the problem; their customer support just repeats "firewall" repeatedly and have nothing else to contribute. If you are willing to help, why aren't they? They stated themselves they would rather lose a customer than try to help. Why financially support an organization that holds its consumers in such low regard?

j3067

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 5:50 pm

Is it the little whie box in the upper left?  Does it have a retry counter, i feel like I have seen that before.

As for finacial support...this liberated borg already paid for lifetime

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 5:50 pm

I ran a diagnostic and Windows 7 is saying the program is incompatible which is interesting considering it has run it for the past year.

j3067

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 6:08 pm

I know what you mean about the bad service.  i had a similair issue with another game. can your tracret to 208.95.184.41 and/or 208.95.184.118?

j3067

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 6:48 pm

Last hail Mary for ya.  This thread (which you likely already found) has some steps:

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 4:49 am

Thanks. I'll try your recommendations in the next few days.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 5:38 pm

I ran a systems check to correct any corrupted Windows files by

pressing [windows button] + 7
sfc /scannow
[enter]

It appears this diagnostic and correction fixed my compatibility problem.

Thanks for nothing, customer support. It wasn't my firewall like I said. If those guys are working for free they are being paid too much.

j3067

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 6:39 pm

Glad you are back online.  I hope I never have to call those jokers. It stinks to enjoy a product from a company you dislike.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 7:11 pm

I don't have a problem with Cryptic as a whole, just their customer support who have the collective brains of a room full of monkeys flinging poo at each other.

CheeseDJr

Report this Apr. 09 2011, 4:15 pm

"a room full of monkeys flinging poo at each other."

Matthias Russell