Why is there not a official Star Trek costumed fan organization?

TX_TREKKER

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 8:37 pm

So I wanted to throw this out there to any Star Trek fans that may read this. For those of you who are familiar with the Star Wars 501st and Rebel Legion bare with me for a minute. For those of you who are not familiar with either let me just explain a bit. They are two major organizations that have nation wide and world wide club charters. What they do is basically create authentic their star wars costumes and attend any theme related parties, gatherings, exhibits, conventions, etc in costume. They also organize to do charity events plus give exposure to the franchise. These are events all over where the local chapters rally and are very very well maintained and organized. So my million dollar question is why is there not one for Star Trek enthusiasts??

I have searched the web and have yet to find any such club. Is it possible the Star Trek franchise lost its steam? If this concept could work for Star Wars why not Star Trek? I feel the state the Star Trek franchise is in the fans will be the ones that make sure it thrives. Anyways, just curious if anyone had any input on this

Beershark

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 9:27 am

start one....

DocFanFive

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 10:12 am

there should be one... When I was younger and a Wars fan, I wanted to join the 501st, but a Trek one would be better...

Call me Doc, 'k? StarTrek.com's Resident Holographic Whovian since 2010.

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 9:58 pm

Interesting. I'm in the SFI (Starfleet International) although the chapter I belong to is mostly internet based. Because I live in a regional city in New Zealand and so not many other Trekkies close by as far as I know. There are also other international fan groups.

But I have run across a local costumed group at a convention in Auckland. There was a Star Wars group there and a Star Trek group. Would be very surprised if you couldn't find one at Vegas con, or other cons for that matter. Perhaps the place was just so big, you didn't see where they were.

Trau

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 11:03 pm

TX_TREKKER

Report this Apr. 06 2011, 12:44 am

Quote: Beershark @ Apr. 04 2011, 9:27 am

>start one....

Was thinking about trying to start one. At the research phase for the moment, however, was just seeing how many people would be interested in this concept.

The 501st is very well maintained.

TX_TREKKER

Report this Apr. 06 2011, 1:05 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>It would require uniformity, all uniforms would have to be of equal quality and all members would have to look good in them.

>Anovos suggested someone setting up a Star Trek equivalent of 501, but as i reminded them it would have to be a uniform look, you couldn't have suits from the 22nd century through the 24th - it would take a singular vision.

All members would have to look good.

Well you've eliminated me and probably quite a few others from joining.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Trau is correct that it would need uniformity as far as organizing. I was thinking more that each era of Star Trek should be open since many fans have a different favorites. For example, as a member you would pick which era you would like to costume. Some might like to choose TOS or others might pick the STNG style. Klingons, borgs, romulans etc are welcome too. It just depends what you like. The only requirement would be is that you create your costume/uniform and try to make it look authentic as possible (pretty much like the 501st guidlines). I have seen some creative stuff at conventions.

Anyways, this type of project would take a united well formed group effort. I don't know of any better place to get some insight other than the official website here.

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 06 2011, 7:34 am

The fan clubs I know of are Starfleet International and International Federation of Trekkers. I'm pretty sure there are more, and local organisations in some towns / cities. In any case if you wanted to start something else, you would do best to start small.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Phasers on STUN

Report this May. 25 2011, 2:08 pm

Quote: TX_TREKKER @ Apr. 06 2011, 1:05 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

All members would have to look good.

Well you've eliminated me and probably quite a few others from joining.

I agree! I am a little late to the conversation, but this is the best place to get something started. I have been a fan of Star Trek for sometime, but never a hard-core Trekkie! Though, i believe the last movie is changing that rather quickly.

dyingpens

Report this May. 25 2011, 7:58 pm

Sign me up!  I'll be more than willing to drop everything and help push this idea along.

Working at Walt Disney World and seeing Star Wars Weekend such a huge success, I do get quite a bit jealous.

guillermo.mejía

Report this May. 25 2011, 8:10 pm

Most of the trek fan clubs I know about are either internet based or very local groups.

I also remember wanting to join the 501st when I was a kid. lol

Phasers on STUN

Report this May. 25 2011, 9:28 pm

Look what I found.

Phasers on STUN

Report this May. 26 2011, 10:50 am

guillermo.mejía

Report this May. 26 2011, 2:41 pm

Quote: Phasers on STUN @ May. 26 2011, 10:50 am

>So after checking out that website, I don't think they are on par with the 501st, they are trying but they seem a bit limiting. They want the TOS uniform to be the official, but you can join with any costume. The thing that makes the 501st so impressive is they have guidelines for the replica costumes, so that all look the same. There is not an official costume. There website even has references and codes for each costume as well as separates their groups from one legion, to garrisons, squads, and outposts. I think a star trek costuming group can easily be done to mimic this group and look very good doing it. The importance here is in movie/show quality costumes.

Yeah, the 501st is damn inpressive. They even have an outpost where I come from, Puerto Rico.

Lol, to me that says it all.

Jason222

Report this May. 29 2011, 1:31 pm

As for uniforms go sector 31 might better idea then Star Terk verse of

501 because they unifrom not change at all form Ent till DS9 might be MACO. Starfleet unfiroms change to much for make sense normal starfleet thought.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam