DS9: the series with the best finale

parrothead117

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 5:35 pm

TOS - "Turnabout Intruder."  An average or below-average episode.  TOS gets a pass here, since they weren't going for a "finale" the way we understand it today.

TAS - I don't know what the finale was, but I'm willing to bet it's not a contender.

TNG - "All Good Things."  A pretty good episode, but not among the top 15 or 20 in the series in my opinion.  I love the fact that it didn't break up the crew or kill anyone off, though.  There's too much of that kind of melodrama.

DS9 - "What You Leave Behind."  But I love the DS9 finale precisely because it provides closure for the characters and story arcs.  This is clearly the best finale of any series, with the biggest payoff for longtime fans.

VOY - "Endgame."  Another time travel story?  No thank you.  I guess they had to get the ship home somehow, but it left me with an anticlimactic feeling.  I think it was weaker than TNG's finale, but better than...

ENT - "These Are the Voyages."  What a POS.  I'm not an ENT hater, really I'm not.  I enjoyed it and I thought it got better as it went along, and I was willing to forgive many of the canonical contortions.  I'm looking forward to rewatching it in a year or so, after I finish rewatching VOY.  But really, the ending was shameful.

So, I could have made this a poll on the General Discussions board, but I figured I'd just put it here because there's not really any objective question about it.  Or do you disagree?

"We must strive to be more than we are, Lal. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards." - Data, "The Offspring"

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 5:39 pm

Over all, I'm going to be a bit of a traitor and say "All Good things" was a bit better than WYLB.

The end of the war stuff was great. The end of the Emissary stuff got a bit drippy... and tended to drag the pacing in the second half. Although not enough to make for a bad episode. Possibly the down-point of WYLB as far as quality goes.

The montage could have been better but it was pretty good with that music playing. (Trust Worf to get all sentimental about hanging upside down in the brig of an enemy vessel!!)

The final scene with Kira & Quark was funny, and the final scene with Kira & Jake was heartbreaking. Honestly I can't watch that ep. when I am unhappy about something, although it is good to watch nonetheless.

I do like the sense of "life goes on" at the end (Julian & Ezri's scene gives that impression particularly) The first half of the episode is definitely better than the later half. But it is good that they didn't go with the ideas of blowing the station up and killing everybody (a la Time Bandits) or ending the whole thing with Benny Russell. Because those ending would have been stupid.

Great that the impression is DS9 is still there, still doing it's thing -- but we're just not going to see it for a while. (Except in books and such.)

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

SunriseSeleya

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 6:39 pm

it is pretty hard to decide between All Good Things, and What You Leave Behind....i think they end both of their respective series very well.  their are so many fundamental differences between the shows (TNG being starship bound and DS9 being space station stationary) that each finale had to conclude and bring closure to things somewhat differently. DS9 had to tie up a lot more than TNG because it just had to because of the very nature of the show.

i think what i'm saying is WYLB is a fantastic finale, possibly even the best. BUT the very nature of DS9, being a continuing storyline with elements that ran through the series set forth in the pilot, kind of allowed it to have a more fulfilling finale than TNG. even though TNG's pilot and finale kind of book ended the whole thing, DS9 had continuous story elements from the beginning, which set a good foundation for a very emotionally satisfying simply because the bits it brought closure to seriously ran for the whole 7 years.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 9:23 pm

Its a toss up between "All Good Things..." and "What You Leave Behind"

"WYLB" was a good finishing to the series... with all the people going off to do their own thing, "AGT..." was just a great episode!!!

I think I'll go with "All Good Things..." as I thoroughlly enjoyed it but "What You Leave Behind" is a close 2nd.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 11:50 am

I'm in total agreement. Everyone got conclusion and closure. The finale was a perfect complement to the pilot and I felt everyone got what they deserved. Best of all- it didn't need time travel to wrap it up.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 11:51 am

The time paradoxes in the TNG and VOY finales and throughout ENT can get under my skin.

VORTEX8472

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 2:15 pm

The last few minutes of this episode make my eyes water, I start feeling really empty and alone.  Amazing, but heartwrenchingly depressing to watch that bicycle-wheel (Cardassian monstrosity of a station) go into the distance, and then fade out to the credits one last time.

All Good Things & What You Leave Behind are a tie in my book.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 2:26 pm

The only sci fi conclusion that was more emotionally gripping than DS9 to me was Babylon 5's.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 5:28 am

Vger23

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 11:22 am

I thought "What You Leave Behind" was fantastic...but only manages a tie with "...All Good Things."

AGT was a perfectly-crafted finale that quite literally book-ended the series and yet also left it wide open for theatrical sequels, while at the same time being a very entertaining and innovative story.

WYLB was more of a true finale, and it tied the threads on many continuing plotlines that arced through that great series. It was satisfying to see those arcs come to an end, and it was touching to see some of those characters say their goodbyes.

Overall, both were fantastic.

Tie.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 11:27 am

Both Sisko and Odo were needed by their people. They choose the needs of the many.
Jake had become a man and needed to cut the umbilical so he could be his own person. Kira likewise would have taken her people over love if given the choice, being a patriot. None of them were left totally alone. People move on, that is life, it is happening at Kennedy Space Center right now.
Also, if you read the books, Sisko returns in time to see his daughter born, Jake gets married and finally finds his way, and Kira goes into religious life.

Dendodge

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 11:28 am

WYLB had one thing every other finale lacked...

Naked Ezri.

Srsly, I haven't seen AGT yet, so I can't really comment, but WYLB definitely beats all the other finales.  I actually got slightly teary-eyed during the final montage, and I loved the way it wrapped up all the story arcs.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 11:30 am

Dendodge

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 11:36 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 05 2011, 11:30 am

>Over Ezri, huh? How have you not seen AGT! Geez man, I question your fandom, Dodge. Best get on that.

I stopped watching TNG after "11001001".  The entire series up to that point had been mind-numbingly boring.  Just as I started to pick it up again (around the time of BOBW), the channel I watched it on got taken off the air by Rupert Murdoch.  I intend to watch TNG eventually, but it seems like my only choice is to buy the DVDs (it's my birthday in June—I'll try then).

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 7:45 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 05 2011, 5:28 am

>Most everyone got a happy ending! The bad guys were killed which made the good hits happy! Sisko was the only one left open and he said he would return one day (and did in Unity). Nothing was left behind and not everyone deserves a happy ending. Did you want Dukat to have his happy ending? Sure Odo and Kirk didn't end up together but they weren't comparable anyways and he got to go home and finally be one with his people.

You gave me some rather strange mental imagery there, Matthias! Didn't know you were a 'Shipper.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?