Why the heck was Geordi blind?!

DocFanFive

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 2:26 pm

It made a good plot device, i suppose.

and since when were the creator of ST concerned with consistancy, anyway?

Call me Doc, 'k? StarTrek.com's Resident Holographic Whovian since 2010.

Lewis00069

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 4:00 pm

I think he was born blind

Beersnark

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 4:37 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Furthermore, why did Picard have a bad heart?

>Not only does the transporter filter out harmful biologocials, but it recreates a person molecule by molecule. The transporters, as explained numerous times in numerous episodes, should have easily fixed Geordi's blindness and Picard's heart. Where is the consistency?

The transporter does not RECREATE a person. It disassembles, moves and reassembles a persom. It scans and stores the pattern so it can rebuild what ever is beamed exactly as it was. Jordi was blind coming out of the transporter because he was blind going into it.

But on another level he wasn't really blind was he? His visor, and later his implants, gave him better vision then any of his crewmates.

"These people are natural born idiots."-Neelix

Beersnark

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 5:29 pm

No, the transporter was not capable of this. Now if you had a device that was sort of a hybrid of a transporter and a replicator, then it could do what you want it to do.

"These people are natural born idiots."-Neelix

2takesfrakes

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 7:43 pm

As I understand it, Roddenberry was very
interested in broadening his enlightened
approach to STAR TREK. And by having a
blind man pilot the ENTERPRISE was intended
to inspire those with disabilities to reach
for the stars. I tell you, I LOVE me some TNG!

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 7:54 pm

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Tyberios

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 10:45 pm

first of all It adds uniqueness to the characters. Second the transporters only carry an exact copy of the original pattern in the pattern buffers. It can’t just make random changes to the pattern that it thinks it needs to.  They would end up with a lot of messed up stuff. Look at how much stuff computers mess up for us now and they aren’t as complex as the cell structure of a human body.

Caalma

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 10:28 am

"Do you think it's possible for two people to go back in time and correct a mistake that never should have happened?" ... "On this ship, anything is possible."

VORTEX8472

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 2:46 pm

tmntfanboy

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 5:32 pm

Quote: Lieutenant_Jedi @ Apr. 03 2011, 7:54 pm

>The Transporter rebuilds a person EXACTLY as they are, with every single cell and molecule in its place. Otherwise the person would not be the same, and the transporter would kill the original and replace them with a "copy"

Imagine if they could improve themselves with the transporter though. "The Transporter"... the 24th Century's plastic surgeon. I hear Worf talking to Chief O'Brien now..."I'd like a nose job, a brow raise and a warrior's dimples."

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Apr. 04 2011, 5:42 pm

The potential for miracle cures from the Transporter was known to the writers and producers but it was decided to avoid it usually.

It was used to save Pulaski from the Augments that infected her.

And Picard when he decided to leave the ship as pure energy.

I think it would have been the perfect solution to Data's death just over ride B-4 with Data's transporter trace pattern.

VORTEX8472

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 6:17 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>@Bite_Me; I don't see why it bothers you, I thought having a blindman & someone with an artificial heart added a element of danger/suspense; 24th century technology on Star Trek is impressive, but by no means perfect.

>If it were, there would be no reason to worry about anything, simply put them through a transporter cycle and your singing camping songs till supper.  The fact that there were limitations to the many awesome technologies at Starfleets disposal makes for more compelling drama and opens up the writers' creative palette.

>Picard's heart wasn't "bad", he was stabbed in the heart by a Nausican - watch "Tapestry" season 6.

I've seen all the episodes and kno why Picard had a bad ticker.

It doesn't bother me. Haven't you ever discussed Trek from various angles?

don't sweat it, in fact my older brother and I often get into arguments about Star Trek, he has strayed from Trek and gone on to "love" other sci-fi shows more than my beloved "Trek" and made rather insulting comments about it on several occaisions.  The best part is when he returns to Trek with his tail tucked between his legs, saying "you were right all along, no one does sci-fi quite like Trek".

I'm an optimist at heart, it takes a lot to get me rattled/upset.

Peace and Long Life Bite_Me.

Beershark

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 7:46 am

"Peace and Long Life Bite_Me."

Now that's funny....

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 05 2011, 7:49 pm

Quote: Caalma @ Apr. 04 2011, 10:28 am

>I thought his digital eyes in first contact were the most awesome thing i have ever seen in a movie.

Yep those things were pretty freaky.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

HisRoyalHighnessTheKing

Report this Apr. 07 2011, 4:31 am

The transporter can't be too "uber" otherwise it would make the world of Trek too perfect.

May God Save The King