Favorite Star Trek Novel?

toranaprem

Report this Apr. 02 2011, 9:32 pm

You can only pick ONE! A series doesn't count. Short story and novella collections (while awesome) are also not novels and are also disqualified. Your choice can be from any series, but you still only get to pick one book (not one book per series). This is supposed to be difficult!

Fan published novels at least 50K in length DO count.

What Star Trek novel is so good that you wish everyone would read it?

I want to hear about the best of the best in Star Trek novel writing!

"What will they find when I am ripped apart? 'I love you, captain' written on my heart."

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 02 2011, 11:55 pm

Well that's kind of a difficult question because my personal fave is one that is really simply a fave to me, and not necessarily one that I would recommend to others. There are some better written novels that I would recommend -- but not the same as my personal fave.

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 8:27 am

Easy for me- Ship of the Line by Diane Carey.

It tells the story of the USS Bozeman leading into TNG: Cause and Effect as well as the first mission of the 1701-E.  It is a story of redemption and coming to terms with loss.  If anyone hasn't read it, I added a pretty detailed summary in Memory-Beta.

Promethea

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 1:21 pm

That's a good one, I think Best Destiny (about young Kirk) is even better.

More recently Full Circle and Over A Torrent Sea were particularly good.

But if I really had to choose just one, perhaps the McCoy novel Provenance of Shadows. It shouldn't have worked, because of the 3 Crucible books, the impact on him of the Edith Keeler incident should have been least, but it was a lovely portrait of the character and made me see him in a new light.

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 6:02 pm

Quote: Promethea @ Apr. 03 2011, 1:21 pm

>I liked Imzadi when I first read it but I'm not sure if I'd like it so much now. It's a bit romance novel-y and I haven't liked Peter David's other books so much.

I think people here said to me (while I was considering purchasing it on audio) that Imzadi has a great story but a lot of cliches in its descriptive writing. Having purchased the audio and listened to it several times, I would have to agree with that assessment.

To answer the earlier question: My personal favourite is still "Abyss" by David Weddle and Jeffrey Lang, but for one that I would recommend to others as particularly well written and a good story:

"A Stitch In Time" by Andrew J.Robinson.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Faroutman

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 7:18 pm

A Stitch In Time by Andrew robinson is my all time fav. I also love Peter David's work. If this question is ever expanded to series I love the I.K.S. Gorkon series by Keith R.A. DeCandido.

Elim Garak: Remember: it's not just Tain we're looking for. The Maryland, the Proxima, the Sarajevo, Starfleet ships that have been lost in the Gamma Quadrant for years; and their crews - brave soldiers, warriors of the Federation unaccounted for... We owe it to them to do everything in our power to find them and bring them home. It's the honorable thing to do. Worf: You use that word, but you have no idea what it means. Elim Garak: Maybe not. But you do.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Apr. 03 2011, 7:49 pm

SO many.

"Immortal Coil" by Jeffrey Lang is high on my list.

Hard to say the top.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Apr. 08 2011, 8:50 am

I started rating the books a few years ago and four with top marks.  Since you only ask for one....

Vendetta

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Apr. 09 2011, 6:11 pm

I enjoy the Next Generation book Crossover, it is one of the first hardbacks I ever bought for Star Trek and I've read it more than all my others.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 5:52 am

Michael Jan Friedman books are always of high caliber.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Apr. 11 2011, 5:13 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 11 2011, 5:52 am

>Crossover is among the best to me also. I'll always remember Scotty on the TOS bridge knowing if he looked behind the engineering console he would find a dent he left there and how he was upset the pressurization of the shuttlebay was set to factory settings when he and the other chief engineers struggled to make it more efficient. As an engineer, that book spoke to me. Michael Jan Friedman books are always of high caliber.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who enjoyed it. It was at the time soo cool to have them crossover into TNG like that since aside from their appearances on the show there wasn't much out there at that time that was doing tons of crossovers like they do now. And even though it had nothing to do with the story I would really like a full sized poster of the cover art, it is still my favorite cover, it looks like it could have been a movie poster.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

mdhprime

Report this Apr. 12 2011, 5:56 pm

It is a toss-up between Federation and Prime Directive. If I had to choose I'd go with Prime Directive. A sort of goofy story but loads of fun melodrama.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Apr. 15 2011, 11:04 am

Prime Directive is also a fantastic novel.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

CaptPapa

Report this Apr. 18 2011, 7:23 pm

Anything by AC Crispin is well worth the read and highly recommended, but my very favorite is The Vulcan Academy Murders, by Jean Lorrah.  It just so happens I'm reading it again right now . . .

ME

greenlantern8

Report this Apr. 18 2011, 8:39 pm

This is a tough one. I am only a part of the way through the books from all series. I am the most impressed with The Lost Years and Sarek.

I Plan on reading the all ST novels.