ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Star Trek reviewed, from start to finish

Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Jul. 28 2011, 4:11 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>

>I dont think I have ever actually taken the thought of watching Star Trek in Chronological order from beginning to end very seriously as something I would actually to do. Was it easier than a 5 year mission? When you watched the episodes did you do it when you had the time or did you do it when you felt like watching Trek?

>


Im not/havent been rewatching the series, in order or otherwise. But i know the eps so well, having seen them so many times over the years, i can review them without watching them. Also, i agree that it would get very tiresome watching ALL the eps in order, day after day, not just with TOS but with any series.

Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Jul. 28 2011, 4:24 am

THE WAY TO EDEN


(To illustrate my point above, i first saw this ep in 1980, then again in 1986, both times on the BBC. I saw it next in 1991 on video, which i watched, off and on until i got season 3 on DVD in 2008. Ive seen it on DVD 3 times, the last being last year)


This ep is hilarious! I love the miscasting, with 3 middle-aged actors playing young hippy types. I also like how it makes a fool of Chekov - i have nothing against him, or Walter Koenig, but its very funny the way that crewman passes Chekov and Irina in the corridor when they are having an intimate moment, and the crewman skittily looks Chekov up and down. Chekov comes across as a complete drip in this one, isnt he supposed to be a youthful, fun-loving sort of guy? Here, hes a stiff, establishment figure. Theres a funny moment where Checkov and Irina are in the Auxiliary control room, and a couple of seconds of footage showing Spock in his quarters writing suddenly appears in the middle of the scene! Some good music/songs as well. The whole idea of finding Eden is silly - how do you find a mythical planet? How do they know it's Eden, and not just any strange new world? At least the planet set is a bit different, with footage from `Who Mourns for Adonais?' and `The Apple' popping up. This was James Doohan's least-favourite story, and for years, he pretended to fans at conventions that he wasnt in it. 

Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Jul. 30 2011, 12:53 pm

THE CLOUD MINDERS


This ep is nothing special either, but i like the attempt to show a class divide, and the idea of a city that floats in the sky is a good one. Jeff Corey is a very good actor, who appeared in lots of SF/Fantasy shows, and hes on form in this one. The character Droxine is absolutely thick. The conversation between her and Spock, about Vulcan Pon Farr, was cut by the BBC, a fact i didnt realise as a kid watching this ep, which led to my confusion when reading comments in books like Asherman's Star Trek Compendium about how it contradicted the established fact that Vulcans keep Pon Farr secret from outsiders. Vanna is quite attractive, but it was a silly idea to cast a woman in the role - a group of tough, hard-bitten miners on an alien planet, and a typically beautiful, glamorous woman is their leader!? The Radio Times billing for this ep read: `People in elevated positions tend to look down on those less favourably placed, but the situation confronting Captain Kirk in Strato City is much more serious than snobbery'.

Ghostmojo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1826

Report this Jul. 31 2011, 4:03 am

The visual of Stratos was intriguing - in both the original and remastered versions. It may well have given George Lucas his idea for Bespin.


One interesting thing about TOS is the endless re-use of props. This made perfectly good sense in bugeting terms - but the props often occur in the very next shows. Much of the abstract artwork in the Stratos gallery reappears in Flint's grand palace in Requiem For Methuselah, and some of the blue marble panels from Stratos appear in that RFM episode and also in All Our Yesterdays.


I never noticed these things first time around (because I was a kid and the episodes weren't immediately repeated) nor again in the reruns of the 70s. But repeated viewings, especially now I have the discs and can pause and review things brings out such things.


I enjoy reading other people's postings about particular shows, and intend to post my own views about certain episodes. But I will do it episode by episode in a leisurely way. In that way we can keep the conversation just about that one show.


to boldy go where no man has gone before

Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Jul. 31 2011, 4:38 am

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Jul. 31 2011, 4:03 am

>

>The visual of Stratos was intriguing - in both the original and remastered versions. It may well have given George Lucas his idea for Bespin.

>One interesting thing about TOS is the endless re-use of props. This made perfectly good sense in bugeting terms - but the props often occur in the very next shows. Much of the abstract artwork in the Stratos gallery reappears in Flint's grand palace in Requiem For Methuselah, and some of the blue marble panels from Stratos appear in that RFM episode and also in All Our Yesterdays.

>I never noticed these things first time around (because I was a kid and the episodes weren't immediately repeated) nor again in the reruns of the 70s. But repeated viewings, especially now I have the discs and can pause and review things brings out such things.

>I enjoy reading other people's postings about particular shows, and intend to post my own views about certain episodes. But I will do it episode by episode in a leisurely way. In that way we can keep the conversation just about that one show.

>


Hi, thanks for commenting Ghostmojo. Ive only seen the remastered versions of season 1, which i was impressed with. I intend to get seasons 2 & 3 at some point. Ive enjoyed doing these reviews, shame its nearly over. Ill be doing a `Voyager reviewed.....' thread next as that is my favourite ST show next to TOS. I look forward to reading your reviews and commenting.


 

Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Aug. 02 2011, 9:20 am

THE SAVAGE CURTAIN


One of my favourites, this. I first saw ST at a point where i was old enough to take note of things like episode titles etc, from 1978-1981, the shows fourth `complete' (minus the 4 banned eps) run on BBC1. For some reason, Operation Annihilate and this ep were missed out from that run. I had a copy of James Blish's Star Trek 6, which adapted this episode and remember reading and re-reading it over and over in the early 80s. I finally saw this ep in 1986, and it was quite different to how i visualised it from the book.


Its a very interesting story, despite being a rehash of `Arena'. Any story that has a cast of characters that includes Genghis Khan, Abraham Lincoln, Kahless the Klingon, Surak the Vulcan and a giant monster made of living rock has got to be good! Its a shame its wrapped up so quickly, though - its supposed to be a fight to the death, but Kirk and Spock win a minor brawl (in which they are the only survivors of the `Good' team) and are declared the winners. I love Alexander Courage's rousing `Battle' music heard in this ep, and in eps from season 1. Theres a funny bit where Shatner splits his trousers! Look at Kirk's face just after Yarnek proclaims "Your existence is ended" - he looks like hes just smelt something bad. Yarnek looks good, and i like the cute way he/she/it clicks his/her/its claws together. This is an episode that doesnt attract much comment but i think its one of the stand-out eps of the 3rd season.

Ghostmojo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1826

Report this Aug. 02 2011, 2:23 pm

Quote: Spouter @ Jul. 31 2011, 4:38 am

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Jul. 31 2011, 4:03 am

>

>

>The visual of Stratos was intriguing - in both the original and remastered versions. It may well have given George Lucas his idea for Bespin.

>One interesting thing about TOS is the endless re-use of props. This made perfectly good sense in bugeting terms - but the props often occur in the very next shows. Much of the abstract artwork in the Stratos gallery reappears in Flint's grand palace in Requiem For Methuselah, and some of the blue marble panels from Stratos appear in that RFM episode and also in All Our Yesterdays.

>I never noticed these things first time around (because I was a kid and the episodes weren't immediately repeated) nor again in the reruns of the 70s. But repeated viewings, especially now I have the discs and can pause and review things brings out such things.

>I enjoy reading other people's postings about particular shows, and intend to post my own views about certain episodes. But I will do it episode by episode in a leisurely way. In that way we can keep the conversation just about that one show.

>

Hi, thanks for commenting Ghostmojo. Ive only seen the remastered versions of season 1, which i was impressed with. I intend to get seasons 2 & 3 at some point. Ive enjoyed doing these reviews, shame its nearly over. Ill be doing a `Voyager reviewed.....' thread next as that is my favourite ST show next to TOS. I look forward to reading your reviews and commenting.


I'm happy to discuss your TOS (and even TNG) reviews Spouter - but I'm not remotely a fan of Voyager (and that is putting it mildly), so I'm afraid I won't be joining you there! Best of luck with them though ...


to boldy go where no man has gone before

Ghostmojo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1826

Report this Aug. 02 2011, 2:34 pm

Quote: Spouter @ Aug. 02 2011, 9:20 am

>

>THE SAVAGE CURTAIN

>One of my favourites, this. I first saw ST at a point where i was old enough to take note of things like episode titles etc, from 1978-1981, the shows fourth `complete' (minus the 4 banned eps) run on BBC1. For some reason, Operation Annihilate and this ep were missed out from that run. I had a copy of James Blish's Star Trek 6, which adapted this episode and remember reading and re-reading it over and over in the early 80s. I finally saw this ep in 1986, and it was quite different to how i visualised it from the book.

>Its a very interesting story, despite being a rehash of `Arena'. Any story that has a cast of characters that includes Genghis Khan, Abraham Lincoln, Kahless the Klingon, Surak the Vulcan and a giant monster made of living rock has got to be good!

>


Yes it is quite good - but also a bit odd in some ways. Abraham Lincoln and Surak are both strange choices to take into combat against the forces of evil! When I watched this and for a long time afterwards I was of the opinion (as are we all usually) that Lincoln was a good stick and his comments to Uhura are respectful and appropriate. The view of Lincoln back in the 1960s and indeed until quite recently was universally positive.


However, proper examination of Lincoln's history via actual records proves the guy was actually a racist. He has been mythologised to such an extent in the USA that a whole industry surrounds him as some kind of national do-gooder/slave-freer and moral conscience of the mid 19th century. The truth is so very different. He actually sought to find a way to try and send all the black people back to Africa (whether they liked it or not) because he actually believed in white racial superiority and basic apartheid principles. With that in mind, it would be difficult to include him as anybody's kind of hero if you were to do a similar Star Trek show today. He also doesn't strike me as somebody Kirk would necessarily see as a role model. If Kirk was to pick any American President one might perhaps have expected Washington or Jefferson ...


The Surak character is sadly underdeveloped. Spock might well recognise him as an image of Surak (rather than the real thing) but I'm still surprised he wasn't 'fascinated' enough to want to chew the fat with the Father of Vulcan Logic somewhat ...


to boldy go where no man has gone before

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46302

Report this Aug. 02 2011, 2:40 pm

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Aug. 02 2011, 2:34 pm

Quote: Spouter @ Aug. 02 2011, 9:20 am

>

>

>THE SAVAGE CURTAIN

>One of my favourites, this. I first saw ST at a point where i was old enough to take note of things like episode titles etc, from 1978-1981, the shows fourth `complete' (minus the 4 banned eps) run on BBC1. For some reason, Operation Annihilate and this ep were missed out from that run. I had a copy of James Blish's Star Trek 6, which adapted this episode and remember reading and re-reading it over and over in the early 80s. I finally saw this ep in 1986, and it was quite different to how i visualised it from the book.

>Its a very interesting story, despite being a rehash of `Arena'. Any story that has a cast of characters that includes Genghis Khan, Abraham Lincoln, Kahless the Klingon, Surak the Vulcan and a giant monster made of living rock has got to be good!

>

Yes it is quite good - but also a bit odd in some ways. Abraham Lincoln and Surak are both strange choices to take into combat against the forces of evil! When I watched this and for a long time afterwards I was of the opinion (as are we all usually) that Lincoln was a good stick and his comments to Uhura are respectful and appropriate. The view of Lincoln back in the 1960s and indeed until quite recently was universally positive.

However, proper examination of Lincoln's history via actual records proves the guy was actually a racist. He has been mythologised to such an extent in the USA that a whole industry surrounds him as some kind of national do-gooder/slave-freer and moral conscience of the mid 19th century. The truth is so very different. He actually sought to find a way to try and send all the black people back to Africa (whether they liked it or not) because he actually believed in white racial superiority and basic apartheid principles. With that in mind, it would be difficult to include him as anybody's kind of hero if you were to do a similar Star Trek show today. He also doesn't strike me as somebody Kirk would necessarily see as a role model. If Kirk was to pick any American President one might perhaps have expected Washington or Jefferson ...

The Surak character is sadly underdeveloped. Spock might well recognise him as an image of Surak (rather than the real thing) but I'm still surprised he wasn't 'fascinated' enough to want to chew the fat with the Father of Vulcan Logic somewhat ...

Wow - attack Lincoln and don't provide any supporting documentation?  Of course, that may be better in 10-Forward...


Ghostmojo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1826

Report this Aug. 02 2011, 2:44 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Aug. 02 2011, 2:40 pm

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Aug. 02 2011, 2:34 pm

Quote: Spouter @ Aug. 02 2011, 9:20 am

>

>

>

>THE SAVAGE CURTAIN

>One of my favourites, this. I first saw ST at a point where i was old enough to take note of things like episode titles etc, from 1978-1981, the shows fourth `complete' (minus the 4 banned eps) run on BBC1. For some reason, Operation Annihilate and this ep were missed out from that run. I had a copy of James Blish's Star Trek 6, which adapted this episode and remember reading and re-reading it over and over in the early 80s. I finally saw this ep in 1986, and it was quite different to how i visualised it from the book.

>Its a very interesting story, despite being a rehash of `Arena'. Any story that has a cast of characters that includes Genghis Khan, Abraham Lincoln, Kahless the Klingon, Surak the Vulcan and a giant monster made of living rock has got to be good!

>

Yes it is quite good - but also a bit odd in some ways. Abraham Lincoln and Surak are both strange choices to take into combat against the forces of evil! When I watched this and for a long time afterwards I was of the opinion (as are we all usually) that Lincoln was a good stick and his comments to Uhura are respectful and appropriate. The view of Lincoln back in the 1960s and indeed until quite recently was universally positive.

However, proper examination of Lincoln's history via actual records proves the guy was actually a racist. He has been mythologised to such an extent in the USA that a whole industry surrounds him as some kind of national do-gooder/slave-freer and moral conscience of the mid 19th century. The truth is so very different. He actually sought to find a way to try and send all the black people back to Africa (whether they liked it or not) because he actually believed in white racial superiority and basic apartheid principles. With that in mind, it would be difficult to include him as anybody's kind of hero if you were to do a similar Star Trek show today. He also doesn't strike me as somebody Kirk would necessarily see as a role model. If Kirk was to pick any American President one might perhaps have expected Washington or Jefferson ...

The Surak character is sadly underdeveloped. Spock might well recognise him as an image of Surak (rather than the real thing) but I'm still surprised he wasn't 'fascinated' enough to want to chew the fat with the Father of Vulcan Logic somewhat ...

Wow - attack Lincoln and don't provide any supporting documentation?  Of course, that may be better in 10-Forward...


Just a passing aside.


I don't want to quote the whole history here for you. You can go away and look it up yourself. I was disappointed with the Lincoln reality when I discovered it (since I too had long bought into the great liberator notion) - so long have we all been used to the great Lincoln mythology ... but sadly the truth is far from the PR spin that has so effectively been passed down, and is still being promulgated (I have no doubt) - from kindergarten onwards - in the land of the free ...


to boldy go where no man has gone before

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46302

Report this Aug. 02 2011, 3:02 pm

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Aug. 02 2011, 2:44 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Aug. 02 2011, 2:40 pm

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Aug. 02 2011, 2:34 pm

Quote: Spouter @ Aug. 02 2011, 9:20 am

>

>

>

>

>THE SAVAGE CURTAIN

>One of my favourites, this. I first saw ST at a point where i was old enough to take note of things like episode titles etc, from 1978-1981, the shows fourth `complete' (minus the 4 banned eps) run on BBC1. For some reason, Operation Annihilate and this ep were missed out from that run. I had a copy of James Blish's Star Trek 6, which adapted this episode and remember reading and re-reading it over and over in the early 80s. I finally saw this ep in 1986, and it was quite different to how i visualised it from the book.

>Its a very interesting story, despite being a rehash of `Arena'. Any story that has a cast of characters that includes Genghis Khan, Abraham Lincoln, Kahless the Klingon, Surak the Vulcan and a giant monster made of living rock has got to be good!

>

Yes it is quite good - but also a bit odd in some ways. Abraham Lincoln and Surak are both strange choices to take into combat against the forces of evil! When I watched this and for a long time afterwards I was of the opinion (as are we all usually) that Lincoln was a good stick and his comments to Uhura are respectful and appropriate. The view of Lincoln back in the 1960s and indeed until quite recently was universally positive.

However, proper examination of Lincoln's history via actual records proves the guy was actually a racist. He has been mythologised to such an extent in the USA that a whole industry surrounds him as some kind of national do-gooder/slave-freer and moral conscience of the mid 19th century. The truth is so very different. He actually sought to find a way to try and send all the black people back to Africa (whether they liked it or not) because he actually believed in white racial superiority and basic apartheid principles. With that in mind, it would be difficult to include him as anybody's kind of hero if you were to do a similar Star Trek show today. He also doesn't strike me as somebody Kirk would necessarily see as a role model. If Kirk was to pick any American President one might perhaps have expected Washington or Jefferson ...

The Surak character is sadly underdeveloped. Spock might well recognise him as an image of Surak (rather than the real thing) but I'm still surprised he wasn't 'fascinated' enough to want to chew the fat with the Father of Vulcan Logic somewhat ...

Wow - attack Lincoln and don't provide any supporting documentation?  Of course, that may be better in 10-Forward...

Just a passing aside.

I don't want to quote the whole history here for you. You can go away and look it up yourself. I was disappointed with the Lincoln reality when I discovered it (since I too had long bought into the great liberator notion) - so long have we all been used to the great Lincoln mythology ... but sadly the truth is far from the PR spin that has so effectively been passed down, and is still being promulgated (I have no doubt) - from kindergarten onwards - in the land of the free ...

Considering that Lincoln and Frederick Douglass were well documented friends, I think this "reality" is probably closer to the revisionist history taught about the Founding Fathers.  But I won't go into that here as it's a different topic...


Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Aug. 03 2011, 7:46 am

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Aug. 02 2011, 2:23 pm

Quote: Spouter @ Jul. 31 2011, 4:38 am

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Jul. 31 2011, 4:03 am

>

>

>

>The visual of Stratos was intriguing - in both the original and remastered versions. It may well have given George Lucas his idea for Bespin.

>One interesting thing about TOS is the endless re-use of props. This made perfectly good sense in bugeting terms - but the props often occur in the very next shows. Much of the abstract artwork in the Stratos gallery reappears in Flint's grand palace in Requiem For Methuselah, and some of the blue marble panels from Stratos appear in that RFM episode and also in All Our Yesterdays.

>I never noticed these things first time around (because I was a kid and the episodes weren't immediately repeated) nor again in the reruns of the 70s. But repeated viewings, especially now I have the discs and can pause and review things brings out such things.

>I enjoy reading other people's postings about particular shows, and intend to post my own views about certain episodes. But I will do it episode by episode in a leisurely way. In that way we can keep the conversation just about that one show.

>

Hi, thanks for commenting Ghostmojo. Ive only seen the remastered versions of season 1, which i was impressed with. I intend to get seasons 2 & 3 at some point. Ive enjoyed doing these reviews, shame its nearly over. Ill be doing a `Voyager reviewed.....' thread next as that is my favourite ST show next to TOS. I look forward to reading your reviews and commenting.

I'm happy to discuss your TOS (and even TNG) reviews Spouter - but I'm not remotely a fan of Voyager (and that is putting it mildly), so I'm afraid I won't be joining you there! Best of luck with them though ...

I cant persuade you? I might actually do ST:TNG first, might as well do em in order. I havent seen all of the animated eps yet.

Ghostmojo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1826

Report this Aug. 03 2011, 12:47 pm

 


I cant persuade you?


erm ... (thinks long and hard for a millisecond) ... no thanks!


I might actually do ST:TNG first, might as well do em in order. I havent seen all of the animated eps yet.


Now you're talking!


to boldy go where no man has gone before

Spouter

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 263

Report this Aug. 04 2011, 4:12 am

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Aug. 03 2011, 12:47 pm

>

>I cant persuade you?

>erm ... (thinks long and hard for a millisecond) ... no thanks!

>I might actually do ST:TNG first, might as well do em in order. I havent seen all of the animated eps yet.

>Now you're talking!

>
ST:TNG it is then


ALL OUR YESTERDAYS


Another excellent ep, despite being a rehash of `City on the Edge of Forever' with some differences of degree. The 3 main characters go back in time (but on another planet, rather than Earth), one of them falls in love and isnt himself. In `City...' it was Kirk who fell in love, and Bones wasnt himself, but here it's the same person: Spock! I love the idea of a doomed civilisation travelling back in time via cds in a Library, to escape destruction, and the witty idea of the Librarian being called `Atoz'. Shatner looks better in this ep, slightly trimmer, and he has visited a barber, making him look more like he did in the earlier eps. Good to see outdoor sets being used for once. The planet Sarpeidon is another duplicate Earth, it seems, with an English Civil War sort of society, which explains the Cavalier treatment Kirk receives Zarabeth seems to be very popular among male fans, but Mariette Hartley does nothing for me, though the idea of a sort of Female Tarzan is a good one. This ep also illustrates how forgiving people are in the 23rd century - personally, if i were Bones, i would never talk to Spock again.

wissa

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4023

Report this Aug. 04 2011, 11:24 am

Quote: Spouter @ Jul. 02 2011, 1:13 am

>

>DAY OF THE DOVE

>The best Klingon story in TOS by far - great performance from Michael Ansara which, if TOS had continued for a few more years, should have been the benchmark for Klingon acting. Nice to see a couple of female Klingons as well. Once again, Chekov gets a bit to do - the scene where hes about to rape (?) Mara was trimmed but not completely cut by the BBC. Kirks alternate universe bodyguard in `Mirror, Mirror' pops up here as a Klingon. The swordfights are energetic but marred because its obvious they are blunt. A pity most of the female crewmembers were trapped below decks - it would have been interesting to see them engage in a bit of swordplay.

>Listen to the scene on the Bridge where Spock and Scotty almost come to blows - Scotty says "Keep your Vulcan hands off me!", but James Doohan muffles the line and it sounds like he has told Spock to keep his `F***in' hands' off! Any casual viewer, who didnt know Spock's background, would definitely think that Scotty had just used the F word

>


I don't know why but I found this episode really slow.  That one scene on the bridge where spock almost loses it is worth the whole episode though.  Found the makeup just atrocious in it as well.


We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum