Why Trek 09 was HOT and the other Trek films were Not

AtoZ2

Report this Mar. 28 2011, 3:49 am

of the year compared to most other offerings from Hollywood.

Treknoir

Report this Mar. 28 2011, 7:55 am

Apostasy!

Vulcan was destroyed, nuSpock was lovin' on nuUhura, nuKirk didn't talk right, the ship's neutrino modulated frequency valve links were on the saucer section and not behind the nacelles, dear gawd Archer's beagle. His poor damn beagle!

GR and those who follow His Way will rise up and destroy all who mock his legacy!

Vger23

Report this Mar. 28 2011, 8:42 pm

YOU ARE NOT OF THE BODY. YOU WILL BE ABSORBED.

I HEARD HIM SAY THE NEW MOVIE WAS GOOD! HE MOCKS THE RODDENBERRY!!!

mdesjardins

Report this Mar. 28 2011, 10:03 pm

Vger, you are literally KILLING me. I am dying laughing right now.

FESTIVAL!!! FESTIVAL!!!

I personally loved Spock/Uhura. Don't know where it will go (Where can it go?!), but that elevator scene... come on. It was hot. And every time I hear Spock Prime say "do what feels right" at the end, I always think its Leonard saying to Zachary "get it." hahahah

SPOCK DESERVES SOME ACTION. hahahaha

Vger said it all. hahaha

AtoZ2

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 5:09 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Mar. 28 2011, 8:42 pm

>YOU ARE NOT OF THE BODY. YOU WILL BE ABSORBED.

>I HEARD HIM SAY THE NEW MOVIE WAS GOOD! HE MOCKS THE RODDENBERRY!!!

>ARRHHHHGG!!! FESTIVAL!! FESTIVAL!!! THE JJ ABRAMS MOVIE WAS THE WORST FILM IN MOTION PICTURE HISTORY!!! GRRRRRR! RODDENBERRY ROLLS IN HIS GRAVE!! THEY SPIT UPON TRUE TREK FANS EVERYWHERE!! THEY OWE ME!!!

ROFL

"Thank Pitch Forks and Pointed Ears"

Treknoir

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 7:34 am

Quote: mdesjardins @ Mar. 28 2011, 10:03 pm

>Vger, you are literally KILLING me. I am dying laughing right now.

>FESTIVAL!!! FESTIVAL!!!

>SPOCK DESERVES SOME ACTION. hahahaha

>This is kind of in line with a similar thread on the same topic "If 2009's...". And it's a little more in depth. At this point...

>Vger said it all. hahaha

LOL Get out of my head.

SPOCK DESERVES SOME ACTION. hahahaha

I can wax poetic on my FAVORITE character all day, but I will limit my thoughts to a few. Spock Prime seemed depressed most of his life. His deep friendship with Kirk and Bones truly helped him to accept himself as he was (human and Vulcan); however, it took a long time. NuSpock's father telling him directly (instead of through Picard in TNG) that his mother was loved (and that he shouldn't have made him choose his Vulcan side over his human) and being told to "do what feels right" from his aged AU self should help nuSpock feel less burdened. And yes, get it! LOL

I just hope the writer's: a) don't do something crappy with the relationship (a love triangle, overdramatic soap opera stuff); or b) have a sunshine and rainbows Spock. LOL

Treknoir

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 7:55 am

Roddenberry preserve us! Canon is The Way!

"Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Canon Prime Directives. We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology that shall NEVER CHANGE."

JJ Abrams and Crew show up just in time to save the franchise from itself!

The End.

Vger23

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 10:23 am

"We fear change."

Treknoir

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 11:18 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Mar. 29 2011, 10:23 am

>"We fear change."

SCHWING!

AtoZ2

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 11:29 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>While a small fraction of the fan base that visits this site would disagree for various reason of their own relentless device, Abram's take on Star Trek succeeded where no other Trek film was able to. It's primary focus was on the human element, the love, the emotion, the growth of the characters with in the context of the story. Something severely lacking in most of the franchise films, especially TNG films which were devoid for the most part of any audience association to real people.   Star Trek 09 was smart, sexy and modernly fast paced and was easily the most enjoyable movie experience of the year compared to most other offerings from Hollywood. It honored and respected it's roots, while embracing the very heart and soul of how we remember Star Trek and the reason these characters are so great and timeless.   And if the writers are able to maintain the pace of smart intelligent and fun stories for all, then the film franchise will continue for many years to come succeeding where other TV modeled Trek films fail.

Sexy and fast paced yes, but smart by Star Trek standards? No.

You HAVE seen STII:TWOK, haven't you? Your quote of "It's primary focus was on the human element, the love, the emotion, the growth of the characters with in the context of the story" can easily fit that movie as well.

Of course I saw TWOK.
Did you see the last few TNG films?
You think those were standard "smart" Star Trek films? Ha

However, when I say smart, I am talking about the writing and dialoged. It had the wit and humor to enhance the excellent performances of the actors while not being so condescending to the viewer as to make the film impalpable to all audiences.

"Thank Pitch Forks and Pointed Ears"

Treknoir

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 11:39 am

I'm ST's number one fan.

Hardcore Trekkie: ST is dead, ST CANNOT BE DEAD!
JJ Abrams: ST's SPIRIT is the important thing, and ST's spirit is still alive.
HT: I DON'T WANT ST's SPIRIT! I WANT ST, MY ST, REAL ST, CANON ST, AND YOU MURDERED ST!
JJ: No I didn't.
HT: WHO DID?
JJ: No one did! ST isn't dead! It's a reboot. An AU. The Prime timeline still exists.
HT: REBOOT? You can't REBOOT ST! I want a VOY movie! I want Data to return! I want Kirk to be buried with honor! You killed ST! YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT! YOU DID IT! YOU MURDERED MY ST!

AtoZ2

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 3:46 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>The only TNG film that met TNG standards overall IMHO was First Contact,

Can you say mundane? Which is exactly the standard that defines TNG ...You go with that.

despite Picard being a bit out of character.

Only a little???? Your joking right? Other then Patrick Steward playing the part, he wasn't anything like the old chrome dome from the series.

ST2009 to me tasted like Fast Food Trek. Had a taste that everyone liked but didn't stick with you for long.

Star Trek stories over all in film have never been the imagined high standard taunted by fans as being superior...there have been some good movies, generally speaking with TOS cast...but none that can honestly be called highly progressive inventive and thought provoking....Star Trek 09 was no different in that respect...they just did it better by getting all the ingredients right.

"Thank Pitch Forks and Pointed Ears"