Why No New TAS

mccoyfan45

Report this Mar. 22 2011, 7:41 am

I would've liked to have seen a new TAS following the 2009 relauch film, and honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't already been done. Batman Begins, the Transformers films, the G.I. Joe film, the sh tty Star Wars Prequels, and the Spider-man films all spawned (mediocre) cartoon show relaunches from their box office success. Not to mention blockbusters such as Ghostbusters and Men in Black spawned original cartoon shows. So why hasn't there been a new TAS to fill in the gaps between ST: 2009 and the upcoming sequel? Of course, most of the examples I listed were childish, watered down versions of the franchises which spawned them. On the other hand, I thought the MIB cartoon was exceptionally well done, and the success of Tim Burton's Batman Returns spawned Batman: The Animated Series, possibly the greatest and most loyal Batman media adaptation to date. So with the right people seeing it through, I think a new TAS could be even better than the original (actually I've never seen TOAS, I just love TOS). Thoughts?

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Mar. 22 2011, 8:16 am

There was a plan to make a new animated series but then CBS\Paramount sold different divisions and the story set in the future long since Picard was scrapped.

Now that Viacom own's TV right's and Paramount hold's movie rights no telling when a new series of any type can get a green light.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

Challengerdyer1

Report this Mar. 27 2011, 7:59 am

I have long wanted a new Animated Series.  The Clone Wars is so well done, even some of the kid cartoons my son watches like Phineus and Ferb or Wild Kratts are so well done, don't tell me Star Trek wouldn't look as good animated!  And the best thing is, they could do ANYTHING.  Pike , Harriman, Garrett, Captain April...the Romulan War with Archer....the possibilities would be endless.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Mar. 27 2011, 10:22 am

New TAS - I think that's a great idea!

parrothead117

Report this Mar. 27 2011, 10:26 am

I think it's asking for trouble.  When episodes can be made cheapy and quickly, sometimes the writers and producers don't put enough thought into them.  Also, I think storylines are more powerful with real actors.  The Shakespearean element of Star Trek can't make the jump to animation.

"We must strive to be more than we are, Lal. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards." - Data, "The Offspring"

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Mar. 27 2011, 10:46 am

I don't know about that - I can think of a few books that could be done.

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Mar. 27 2011, 1:49 pm

I have always said a CGI antholgy series would be great and Real Trek actors could guest star in their roles from the shows.

Users browsing this forum: heronymous, darmokattanagra, Commander_Zelkar