ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

The Search for Spock underrated

SpockNation

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 65

Report this Mar. 26 2011, 7:30 pm

I've been doing the same thing!  I've been watching all the major Spock episodes, "The Galileo Seven", "Amok Time", "Journey to Babel", etc


Oh, Spock...it just kills me when he rams into the glass wall.  And the straightening of his uniform when he stands up.  And Kirk's heartbroken "Spock!" Okay, so the whole thing breaks my heart.  The only thing that keeps me watchng WOK at all is Search for Spock, 'cause I know that Spock comes back!  Woohoo!


Don't feel bad about bawling...I do the same thing!  When the battle starts, I start bracing myself for the inevitable. *sniff*


I've actually never read "Tale of Two Cities", so I don't catch all of the references, but I do know that the story has a bit of the "needs of many" theme.  I really want to read it now!


And since Saavik ended up pregnant after pon farring it up with Spock several times, I REALLY wish that it had been Kristie Saavik. UGH


"Logic is little tweeting bird chirping in meadow. Logic is wreath of pretty flowers that smell bad."

toranaprem

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 621

Report this Mar. 27 2011, 1:53 am

Quote: SpockNation @ Mar. 26 2011, 7:30 pm

>

>I've been doing the same thing!  I've been watching all the major Spock episodes, "The Galileo Seven", "Amok Time", "Journey to Babel", etc

>Oh, Spock...it just kills me when he rams into the glass wall.  And the straightening of his uniform when he stands up.  And Kirk's heartbroken "Spock!" Okay, so the whole thing breaks my heart.  The only thing that keeps me watchng WOK at all is Search for Spock, 'cause I know that Spock comes back!  Woohoo!

>Don't feel bad about bawling...I do the same thing!  When the battle starts, I start bracing myself for the inevitable. *sniff*

>I've actually never read "Tale of Two Cities", so I don't catch all of the references, but I do know that the story has a bit of the "needs of many" theme.  I really want to read it now!

>And since Saavik ended up pregnant after pon farring it up with Spock several times, I REALLY wish that it had been Kristie Saavik. UGH

>


I'm glad the Saavik getting pregnant by Spock's katra-less body thing is not actually canon because it is deeply, profoundly disturbing to me.


Do most fans prefer Kristie Alley's Saavik? I thought Robin Curtis was far superior but it seems I am in the minority on this.


"What will they find when I am ripped apart? 'I love you, captain' written on my heart."

mdesjardins

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 169

Report this Mar. 28 2011, 9:54 pm

Quote: toranaprem @ Mar. 27 2011, 1:53 am

Quote: SpockNation @ Mar. 26 2011, 7:30 pm

>

>

>I've been doing the same thing!  I've been watching all the major Spock episodes, "The Galileo Seven", "Amok Time", "Journey to Babel", etc

>Oh, Spock...it just kills me when he rams into the glass wall.  And the straightening of his uniform when he stands up.  And Kirk's heartbroken "Spock!" Okay, so the whole thing breaks my heart.  The only thing that keeps me watchng WOK at all is Search for Spock, 'cause I know that Spock comes back!  Woohoo!

>Don't feel bad about bawling...I do the same thing!  When the battle starts, I start bracing myself for the inevitable. *sniff*

>I've actually never read "Tale of Two Cities", so I don't catch all of the references, but I do know that the story has a bit of the "needs of many" theme.  I really want to read it now!

>And since Saavik ended up pregnant after pon farring it up with Spock several times, I REALLY wish that it had been Kristie Saavik. UGH

>

I'm glad the Saavik getting pregnant by Spock's katra-less body thing is not actually canon because it is deeply, profoundly disturbing to me.

Do most fans prefer Kristie Alley's Saavik? I thought Robin Curtis was far superior but it seems I am in the minority on this.


 


Omg. I'm on board with you- I actually only found out about that a few days ago (watching the special features on the Voyage Home).


 


THANK GOD THAT IS NOT CANON. nononoooo you can't have Spock's babies. 


 


I thought Curtis was good, but the way they styled her... I couldn't tell you what it was, but there was just something sweeter and more noble about Alley's performance, in my opinion. :/


Happy Birthday Leonard Nimoy!!! You are one of the most talented, inspirational, and respectable people to have ever garnered so much fame. llap, always.

mdesjardins

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 169

Report this Mar. 28 2011, 9:57 pm

Quote: SpockNation @ Mar. 26 2011, 7:30 pm

>

>I've been doing the same thing!  I've been watching all the major Spock episodes, "The Galileo Seven", "Amok Time", "Journey to Babel", etc

>Oh, Spock...it just kills me when he rams into the glass wall.  And the straightening of his uniform when he stands up.  And Kirk's heartbroken "Spock!" Okay, so the whole thing breaks my heart.  The only thing that keeps me watchng WOK at all is Search for Spock, 'cause I know that Spock comes back!  Woohoo!

>Don't feel bad about bawling...I do the same thing!  When the battle starts, I start bracing myself for the inevitable. *sniff*

>I've actually never read "Tale of Two Cities", so I don't catch all of the references, but I do know that the story has a bit of the "needs of many" theme.  I really want to read it now!

>And since Saavik ended up pregnant after pon farring it up with Spock several times, I REALLY wish that it had been Kristie Saavik. UGH

>


 


You should definitely read ToTC!!! It's fantastic, especially if you're into French history at all (it's about the revolution). Very deep, disturbing, and powerful. I'm a big Dickens fan, and it's by far my favorite of his works.


 


Why did you have to describe it?! hahahaha so upsetting. And I'm with you.


I don't know how you feel about the new film, but as soon as Zachary Quinto pulled his little black uniform shirt down in a very Leonard Nimoy like way, I was sold. hahaha


I feel like in WoK when He tugs his uniform down it's like... the moment he realizes he's going to die. And he's going to do it with extreme dignity, because he is Spock.


 


Now I am depressed.   hahaha


Happy Birthday Leonard Nimoy!!! You are one of the most talented, inspirational, and respectable people to have ever garnered so much fame. llap, always.

Kroll rides again

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 15

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 2:39 am

Love SFS, has a great soundtrack. Anyone got the CD? What is it with the 80s synth pop version of the Main Theme? it's the last track on the CD

lnagr1

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1403

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 3:31 am

I dunno I'm still trying to make up my mind about this movie........

KelisThePoet

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 636

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 12:53 pm

Let me preface what I'm about to say with this qualification: I like all the Star Trek movies and love all the original cast movies.  I watch all the original cast movies regularly, and there are parts of Star Trek III that I greatly enjoy--namely, Kirk's "all the children gone" speech at the beginning, Scotty's sabotage of the Excelsior, and the last recognition/reunion scene between Spock and the rest of the Enterprise crew.  I also think the movie provides an interesting and necessary point of argument or conversation with the "needs of the many" theme of Star Trek II.


All that said, Star Trek III, is my least favorite of the original cast movies and probably my least favorite of all the movies except for Nemesis.  Here are the reasons why:  First, I can't stand Krug.  Apologies to fans of the character, and I can tell there are many from reading through this thread, but I felt like he was a huge step backward from previous portrayals of the Klingons.  Unlike Chang--perhaps the greatest Star Trek villain ever--Krug displayed no guile and intelligence, as far as I could see, much less a sympathetic or interesting motivation for his actions.  He was just a big, brutish bully, and that doubly bothers me because I feel like The Next Generation Klingons were made in his image more than any other, especially in the early seasons, to the detriment of the species' representation in the franchise.  And what the heck was Krug a lord of?


Second, the new Savik, David's use of proto-matter (turning Genesis into a weird, cheap failure) and the complete, unexplained absence of David's mother all make the movie an unsatisfying, inconsistent continuation of the great story from Star Trek II, for me.


Third, the movie feels too overtly like a bridge between Star Treks II and IV.


Fourth, and most importantly, the plot is the most bizarre and implausible of any Star Trek movie, as far as I'm concerned.  It just seems ridiculously convenient that Spock's body is somehow regenerated by the Genesis planet, yet he has to go through some accelerated aging process, apparently reset from infancy, that inexplicably stops as soon as he's taken off the planet, conveniently at the point he's reached Nimoy's age when the movie was shot.  I feel like we have crossed the line from science fiction to fantasy.


Falor was a prosperous merchant who went on a journey to gain greater awareness: Through storms he crossed the Voroth Sea/ To reach the clouded shores of Raal/ Where old T’Para offered truth./ He traveled through the windswept hills/ And crossed the barren Fire Plains/ To find the silent monks of Kir./ Still unfulfilled, he journeyed home/ Told stories of the lessons learned/ And gained true wisdom by the giving. – Falor’s Journey, “Innocence”

t.bexon

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 50

Report this Mar. 29 2011, 2:50 pm

I love Search for Spock. My third favorite of the series behind TWOK and TUC. It had a great villain, a great plot, and it wasn't afraid to take risks (Original Enterprise destroyed, David dies). The best part of this film is McCoy taking the risk to save Spock's life. It goes to show how much Bones really cares about "the green blooded son of a bitch", even though they argue quite a bit.

SpockNation

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 65

Report this Mar. 31 2011, 6:42 pm

Quote: mdesjardins @ Mar. 28 2011, 9:54 pm

Quote: toranaprem @ Mar. 27 2011, 1:53 am

>

>I'm glad the Saavik getting pregnant by Spock's katra-less body thing is not actually canon because it is deeply, profoundly disturbing to me.

>Do most fans prefer Kristie Alley's Saavik? I thought Robin Curtis was far superior but it seems I am in the minority on this.

>

 

Omg. I'm on board with you- I actually only found out about that a few days ago (watching the special features on the Voyage Home).

 

THANK GOD THAT IS NOT CANON. nononoooo you can't have Spock's babies. 

 

I thought Curtis was good, but the way they styled her... I couldn't tell you what it was, but there was just something sweeter and more noble about Alley's performance, in my opinion. :/


YES!  So glad it's not canon!  And I'm glad that they left Saavik on Vulcan before they left for Earth...I don't think I could've stood seeing Curtis Saavik in ST IV.  


And yeah, I will admit, Robin Curtis did do a good job, but I always hate it when characters change actors like that.  That's actually the biggest beef I have against JJ Abram's Trek.  And yes, Alley seemed so sweet and noble.  She did such a good job as Saavik


"Logic is little tweeting bird chirping in meadow. Logic is wreath of pretty flowers that smell bad."

SpockNation

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 65

Report this Mar. 31 2011, 6:49 pm

Quote: mdesjardins @ Mar. 28 2011, 9:57 pm

>

>You should definitely read ToTC!!! It's fantastic, especially if you're into French history at all (it's about the revolution). Very deep, disturbing, and powerful. I'm a big Dickens fan, and it's by far my favorite of his works.

>Why did you have to describe it?! hahahaha so upsetting. And I'm with you.

>I don't know how you feel about the new film, but as soon as Zachary Quinto pulled his little black uniform shirt down in a very Leonard Nimoy like way, I was sold. hahaha

>I feel like in WoK when He tugs his uniform down it's like... the moment he realizes he's going to die. And he's going to do it with extreme dignity, because he is Spock.

>Now I am depressed.   hahaha

>


It's on my list...along with Moby Dick! haha


I'm not 100% sold on ST '09 (as my previous post suggested), but Quinto's growing on me.  At first I was like "that's not Spock!" but I can see some similarities...like the shirt, and when he turns a certain way...or when he tilts his head.  All I've gotta say is "awwww!"  


Even in death, Spock is still the noble, dignified Vulcan.  That's why I'm in love with him


"Logic is little tweeting bird chirping in meadow. Logic is wreath of pretty flowers that smell bad."

mdesjardins

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 169

Report this Apr. 01 2011, 12:18 am

Omg! I really want to read Moby Dick. As soon as I have the time... hahaha


 


Zachary Quinto... is like... my actor fantasty. hahaha


Considering that Leonard Nimoy just turned 80 and I don't want to feel like a pervert.. I'm glad I have another Spock outlet.


Zachary and Leonard worked a lot together for ST09, and I think it really showed. When they first met at comicon, Leonard's wife was astounded by how similar they looked- she thought Quinto looked just like a young Nimoy.


 


YESSSSS! Sacrifice is the most noble of all ideals.


lovelovelovespock.


 


[sorry for the tangent... we really did start with SfS... :X ]

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Apr. 01 2011, 5:47 am

Why is everyone so appalled that Spock may have gotten Saavik pregnant? He didn't rape her. She willingly gave herself for his survival, clearly cared for him on some level, and don't you want Spock to have offspring?

Are you equally appalled by all the love children had out of wed lock?

Also remember that they are alien. Fighting to the death because you don't want to marry someone is ridiculous to us, but not aliens. We won't die if we don't have sex (though it may feel like it). There was nothing wrong in what happened between them and we cannot hem in aliens with human values.

If a few people want to respond to this, perhaps a new thread is in order first. This would seem to be an interesting topic on its own.

AtoZ2

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1297

Report this Apr. 01 2011, 10:14 am

I for one I happy the Spock has gotten a little action here and there!
 
The reason so many appear to be reluctant to talk about intimacy between characters is because we would have to call every one into the Briefing Room to have a long drawn out discussion about it with detailed diagrams, charts, 3D anatomical representations, and maybe a live demonstration on penetration.

SpockNation

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 65

Report this Apr. 01 2011, 4:38 pm

Quote: mdesjardins @ Apr. 01 2011, 12:18 am

>

>Omg! I really want to read Moby Dick. As soon as I have the time... hahaha

>Zachary Quinto... is like... my actor fantasty. hahaha

>Considering that Leonard Nimoy just turned 80 and I don't want to feel like a pervert.. I'm glad I have another Spock outlet.

>Zachary and Leonard worked a lot together for ST09, and I think it really showed. When they first met at comicon, Leonard's wife was astounded by how similar they looked- she thought Quinto looked just like a young Nimoy.

>YESSSSS! Sacrifice is the most noble of all ideals.

>lovelovelovespock.

>[sorry for the tangent... we really did start with SfS... :X ]

>


I started reading Tale of Two Cities today...now if I can stop watching Star Trek long enough to finish it! LOL  I am such a geek...can't get enough of Spock!


This is true...I start feeling like a perv when I start hyperventalating seeing Nimoy  hehe  Thank goodness we have Quinto!


haha Whoa, we did get a wee bit off track, didn't we? 


"IM LOSING COMMAND!!!!" 


Okay, I'm done.


"Logic is little tweeting bird chirping in meadow. Logic is wreath of pretty flowers that smell bad."

picard_2305

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 168

Report this Apr. 01 2011, 4:45 pm


The Search For Spock is very underrated, no sure if it is because it sandwiched into between two of the best Trek movies but I always thought it was good movie. 




I personally think it is the strongest of the odd numbered Trek movies. It was good to show the friendship of the crewm they were willing to sacfice everything to save Spock.




And also you have Christopher Lloyd in it. ALways a good thing


Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum