Starfleet Academy ... a new TV series

Caalma

Report this Mar. 19 2011, 9:59 am

There was a post in the Enterprise board about new TV series ideas, and i thought....

I think they should make a "Starfleet Academy" series. it would bring in a younger audience, as well as show some of the training and skill that goes into being a member of Starfleet. and I think "Starfleet Academy" sounds cool.

Kinda like what Smallville did for superman. ect ect....

and it would be filmed in San Francisco, which is very beautiful, and they have the facilities to do a show. probably the only downfall would be that the cadets would eventually graduate. or maybe that would be good because they could bring in new charactors, and the show would never get boring.

i dunno, what do you think?

"Do you think it's possible for two people to go back in time and correct a mistake that never should have happened?" ... "On this ship, anything is possible."

Camorite

Report this Mar. 20 2011, 9:20 am

there was at one time an idea on the table, before Trek 6 was made, to do a movie series about Kirk's time at the accadomy with Spock and McCoy. but that idea was shelved in favor of one last adventure with the original crew, and, as is the story for many idea's in hollywood, was never pulled back out(at least for any considerable amount of time).

robinbutter

Report this Mar. 20 2011, 9:31 am

Wow would that be cool. We saw alittle bit of the academy in the last Star Trek movie. I would love to see the rigorious schedules and studying contrasted with the stories of survival, love and intrigue.

Wow this stuff is never going to hurt me. I mean, you can't get pulled over by the police for having vulcan ears or your Klingon head dress on!!

Camorite

Report this Mar. 20 2011, 11:20 am

"Smallville" did nothing for the Superman legend but introduce way too many DC characters way too early.

Actually up to last year, Smallville only used around a dozen (give or take) DC superheros into the mix, and many of them were the lower key heros to boot. after that the flood gates pretty much opened up on heros.

parrothead117

Report this Mar. 20 2011, 11:38 am

I actually like the idea, as long as it didn't go the sex-drugs-rock-and-roll-and-teen-angst route.  Which I'm sure it would.  Star Trek's record with young characters is mixed at best.

But if done well I think it could be good.

"We must strive to be more than we are, Lal. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards." - Data, "The Offspring"

DocFanFive

Report this Mar. 20 2011, 12:37 pm

*shrugs*

it sounds interesting enough. I'd watch it, because I'm desperate for new Trek, but it doesn't overly fascinate me...

Call me Doc, 'k? StarTrek.com's Resident Holographic Whovian since 2010.

staran

Report this Mar. 21 2011, 4:04 am

I would rather a MACO TV show on a runabout/delta flyer type scenario, but I would like anything Star Trek at this point in time.

But in the JJ Abrams univserse (simply because you can ignore 50 years of canon that way)

Caalma

Report this Mar. 21 2011, 8:27 am

i dont think it would go the 90210 route, cuz the charactors would have to be somewhat educated... hahahahahaaa

i dont mean like a prequel, i mean with new charactors set in a time after TNG and voyager.

i feel it would open a new door for teens that are feeling outcast cuz all the other treks are from different generations.

captainharder

Report this Mar. 21 2011, 11:38 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>It makes me sad to see people basically say "I want new Trek so bad I'll watch anything."

>I want new Trek, but I want GOOD new Trek.

Hear! Hear! If it's not GR's style, forget it. There could be a multitude of seasons/series based on the series' already established! I would like to see B'Lanna in her 2nd year of Starfleet, Picard in his last & Sisko in his 1st. There are so many possibilities! It gets me all excited just thinking about it!

I am neither important enough to hold for ransom, nor radical enough to be considered dangerous. I am a simple public servant.

jathe1st

Report this Mar. 21 2011, 12:00 pm

i think maybe for a spin off show, i like what you said about graduating because it would be good to see them serving on starship in different series.. but thats the thing.. i would like there to be a proper star trek series for there to be an academy series.

just my view but very good topic and idea!

Treknoir

Report this Mar. 21 2011, 12:04 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>I want new Trek, but I want GOOD new Trek.

Ditto. It's like watching a friend settle on a loser mate because he or she doesn't want to be alone.

captainharder

Report this Mar. 21 2011, 12:23 pm

There could be several series' versions of the Academy. All the way back to how Archer acquired Porthos.

hensonmatt.bolus

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 5:35 pm

OtakuJo

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 8:14 pm

No, a thousand times, no. Very few ideas make me recoil in such a manner. I'll watch almost anything once but honestly did not like what Smallville did with Superman -- and... Really you would need one hell of a writing team to pull something like this off and not have it end up trite and cliched.

Have you ever danced with a Tribble in the pale moonlight?

Jason222

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 8:29 pm

I could think number ways they could do none boring at all. First starfleet cedet learn UFP history holodeck historical setting.

Another were maybe five charters each go different area Starfleet let say one go MACO another goes Sector 31 and another Temporal investigation maybe fourth goes into UFP navy and last Starfleet known all about.  We getting see what all them are doing after they have lunch to gathering.