Star Trek: The Motion Picture

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 10:32 pm

I just watched that movie again tonight after a very, very long time. I just wanted to know peoples' opinions on it.

___Lucifer___

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 11:15 pm

Which version did you watch?

SFdebris did a great review of ST:TMP, viewable on YouTube:

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Mar. 16 2011, 12:14 am

I believe I watched the original cut, but I'm not actually sure at this moment. I agree with you that it's my least favorite of all the TOS movies.

Ziriath

Report this Mar. 16 2011, 1:24 am

Well, there are many movies, that are just plain boring or bad. But this one hurt my mind and I regreted watching it. It's BECAUSE I like the TOS crew. The director failed to understand, what was the charm of the original Star trek.

THE WOMEN!!!

lnagr1

Report this Mar. 16 2011, 1:55 am

Yeah i didnt really like the movie id say its one of least favourite movies, i found it......dragged out!

Vger23

Report this Mar. 16 2011, 7:03 am

I love TMP, and always have. I've posted my thoughts on it many times, even in the recent past, so I don't really want to go back through all that again.

I fully recognize that this is not a popular opinion, so I have no hurt feelings when people don't agree!

coastcityo

Report this Mar. 16 2011, 6:56 pm

I don't like it, for many of the reasons listed here, but I'll still watch it again before I ever watch '09. And that goes for ST V as well.

lnagr1

Report this Mar. 18 2011, 1:29 am

I watched the original cut on VHS and it was.................boring!

toranaprem

Report this Mar. 18 2011, 1:51 am

The Motion Picture is my favorite Star Trek film (well, along with II and III).

But that's because the first three films taken together are epic romance!

The central theme of The Motion Picture is EPIC LOVE. What it means to be without it, what it means to have never known it, and what it means to finally come to terms with it after years of denying it's pull. And I'm not just talking about Decker and Ilia teaching V'Ger how to love!

I mean, what else do you think that whole Spock going away, Kirk being sad, Spock coming back and confessing his feelings storyline was about?

"What will they find when I am ripped apart? 'I love you, captain' written on my heart."

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Mar. 18 2011, 2:30 am

I actually liked it more once I got the Directors Cut on DVD. They cleaned up the effects and it doesn't seem to drag as much. I've watched it alot more on DVD than I ever did with the VHS I had, of course I'm older now so maybe I appreciate the story more now.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

CaptainMauin

Report this Mar. 18 2011, 6:10 pm

The Motion Picture wasn't my favorite movie, but it wasn't bad either. What I did like about it were the visuals. I loved seeing V'Ger... It actually blew me away a bit, the sheer scale of V'Ger. The movie was boring in general, but it is those visuals that got me through.

Goodbye. I am gone.

t.bexon

Report this Apr. 25 2011, 4:54 pm

I loved The Motion Picture, better than Nemesis, Insurrection, Generations, and The Final Frontier put together. It is slow paced yes, but isn't every great episode of the TV series? It has a well thought out plot, some romance, some excitement, and a good moral. Isn't that the description of great films in the past? This film is highly underated and should be ranked higher in the world of Star Trek

2takesfrakes

Report this Apr. 25 2011, 9:32 pm

It's refreshingly different from the rest of the TOS movies.

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Apr. 25 2011, 11:28 pm

Quote: lnagr1 @ Mar. 18 2011, 1:29 am

>I watched the original cut on VHS and it was.................boring!

Actually, that's kind of what I thought, too.........

I've never really been that much of a TMP fan, whether it was the original cut or not. I know people will disagree with me, but that's just what I think.

Beershark

Report this Apr. 26 2011, 12:58 am

Quote: ___Lucifer___ @ Mar. 15 2011, 11:15 pm

>Which version did you watch?

>It's my least favorite of the original Trek films only because it's 2 hours of nothing happening. At least something was happening in Star Trek V. This movie could be condensed into a 48 minute episode and you will lose nothing.

>I actually like the original cut better than the director's special edition, though the new FX shots are amazing.

>SFdebris did a great review of ST:TMP, viewable on YouTube:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnQbb9uEG8E

Of course it actually WAS an episode. It was The Changling. That is one reason why I was dissapointed after standing in line for hours. Definately my least favorite movie.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.