Do you believe bringing in Jeri Ryan was necessary for the Voyager series?

MythicWolf

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 4:15 am

I can't say that I was angry at the site of Jeri Ryan, I mean, she is absolutely gorgeous! But was it really necessary to bring her in to the series to lengthen it's run? I mean Kate Mulgrew and Roxann Dawson are both beautiful women and they each brought sex appeal to the series.

Just looking to gauge other's thoughts on the subject.

willowtree

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 5:28 am

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 5:57 am

It did not hurt

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 5:58 am

Complex question. I would day Seven was not essential. What the show needed was better writers and stories. Adding sex appeal was easier.

However, as willowtree said, Seven was a phenomenal character. Watching her grow and observe humanity was great story. Of course, Kes could have done this quite well but she lacked the intelligence and expertise of Seven plus Kes was never properly developed. Also, not only was Seven far more beautiful eye candy, Jeri Ryan is a higher caliber actress. The lovers and haters of Seven often fail to notice how talented Jeri Ryan is. She is far more than T & A.

So no, Seven was not essential but Ryan was a fine choice for many reasons.

willowtree

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 7:43 am

Personally I DO think the stories got much better too

davidglass1969

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 7:53 am

IT WAS LOGICAL, WHIILE KATE MULGREW & ROXANN DAWSON HAD THE OLDER & SEASONED MEN, LIKE MYSELF, WITH THEIR SEX APPEAL BUT IN ORDER TO RELAIN & INCRESE THE YOUNG MALE VIEWERS JERI RYAN BROUGHT PERFECTION TO STV WITH NOT ONLY HER VERY TIGHT UNIFORM SHE WAS SMART & HONEST A GOOD CHOICE & MADE THE SHOW COMPTETE FOR EVERY MALE VIEWER.

Mantaray

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 8:47 am

willowtree

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 9:20 am

Quote: Mantaray @ Mar. 15 2011, 8:47 am

>The show was a disaster and needed something to draw attention to it.  The low ratings and failure as a flagship for the defunct UPN forced them to add Ryan, who at least made the series a little interesting the first few episodes.

I disagree strongly that the show was a disaster, I liked it a lot. But as I said, according to the producers the decision to bring her on came early in the show's run, before the ratings started to go down

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 11:16 am

rocketscientist

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 11:34 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Mar. 15 2011, 11:16 am

>You want disasters, look at UPN's other opening shows. Voyager was probably the only one to last more than a single season. You can't even find those other shows on dvd they were so terrible, may not even be on youtube!

I don't about that.  I thought Bruce Greenwood's Nowhere Man was pretty darn good.  It was similar to the X-files.

KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 11:38 am

Smallville

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 11:43 am

Smallville wasn't launched with the opening if the network was it?

I forgot about Nowhere Man. Loooooooooooved that show! Still, it did only have 1 season and is probably hard to find now.

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 9:48 pm

I think it really did improve the series. I think Jeri Ryan herself said something like: "The Seven of Nine character added conflict to the series, because mostly it was just like one big happy family."

I so agree. I mean, unlike most people, I really enjoyed Kes and I was pretty sad when she left. But I much preferred the character who replaced here: Seven. And Jeri Ryan is an AMAZING actor.

Sora

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 10:41 pm

Honestly, I just really love Voyager, and I loved before and after 7 of 9. But even if 7 of 9 had not been added, I'd still have loved to get rid of Kes. She's the one character I seriously disliked. I was so happy when she left the show. Most of the Kes centric episodes are usually my least favorites.

Sora

Report this Mar. 15 2011, 10:43 pm

Quote: willowtree @ Mar. 15 2011, 5:28 am

>What a lot of people don't know is that the decision to bring on Seven was made before Voyager's ratings went down, and before the decision to get rid of Jennifer Lien was made.

>Personally I thought she was a GREAT addition. ignoring the obvious T&A aspect, she was a smart, strong, complex character that I loved watching evolve.

I actually didn't know that. Do you know how and why they wanted to get rid of Jennifer Lien?

Live Long and Prosper