Will we ever travel through space in the way we see in Star Trek or is it just a complete fantasy?

Created by: Lewis00069

Lewis00069

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 6:59 am

Personally i hope we do but with the way the world is turning out its a dream that is getting further and further away.

sweatervested1

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 7:09 am

No doubt about it! If we all worked for the same goal it can be done. It must be done for humanities sake. One day Earth will be consumed by the sun. Of course, that will be in several billion years, but you get the point. Heaven only knows what we will evolve into during that time.

Lewis00069

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 7:52 am

i agree its just a shame we wont see it in our life time

Lewis00069

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 8:47 am

i cant see us going that far for a long time not with our current economic climate.

Vger23

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 9:18 am

100's of years ago, we believed a man would never fly.

I believe it is inevitable. The question is (as always) when and how?

parrothead117

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 10:26 am

Unfortunately I think the laws of physics are against us.  You just can't go faster than the speed of light.  Sadly, the distances are just too great to hop from inhabited planet to inhabited planet as they do in Star Trek.

"We must strive to be more than we are, Lal. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards." - Data, "The Offspring"

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 10:29 am

Answering the main q, yea... I reckon its possible ay.... we need to get to Mars first, though!!!! I remember, in this 90s astronomy book I read, they said that they expected us to be on Mars by 2005 or somfin'.... bit late... anyone know anything about the Mars project? Is it on hold? Or are they still doing it?

Lewis00069

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 10:41 am

rocketscientist

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 10:41 am

Quote: iBorg13 @ Mar. 09 2011, 10:29 am

>Answering the 'Are there other forms of life' bit... I believe yes. Because to think we were the only species to evolve to become sentient would be EXTREMELY ...whats the word... ignorant(?). (However, I understand if you are religious and your religion says that your God created only us throughout the whole galaxy...).

Interestingly, the Catholic Church acknowledges the possibility of other life in the universe, including intelligent life.

WRT Mars, don't hold your breath.  Presidents have been talking about Mars missions for years, Bush Sr. did it, Bush Jr. did it, and now Obama has done it.  It's just spin without real funding.  I really really doubt any of us here will see it in our lifetime, especially wrt the US and global economies and instability.

As for space travel like "Star Trek," I very much doubt we'll ever have it, especially in one or two hundred years.  You'd need a huge breakthrough in physics and so far, that hasn't happened.  Rockets of several times (chemical, electrical) are still all we have.

KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

rocketscientist

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 10:42 am

Quote: Lewis00069 @ Mar. 09 2011, 10:41 am

>The US government have said recently that they have scheduled a mars mission for 2037 but who knows what will happen because they also recently took away a large proportion of NASA's funding

They like to talk the talk, but it means nothing.

KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

rocketscientist

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 10:45 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Mar. 09 2011, 9:18 am

>100's of years ago, we believed a man would never fly.

>Within half-a-century of each other, not only did man take his first flight, but people WALKED on the moon (which, as passe as it seems now is still absolutely amazing if you really think about it).

>I believe it is inevitable. The question is (as always) when and how?

You might be right about that V'ger.  If the human species survives and is given enough time, maybe we will get to Mars and beyond.

Right now, though, it just doesn't look promising to me.  It has very little to do with the technology.  The problem is the people/government's will.  They just don't have it and I don't see what could possibly spur them to act beyond another space race with China.

KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

Invader_Wishfire

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 12:37 pm

I believe that the ability to travel faster than light exists, given suffecient technological advancement.

However, I also believe that humanity will render itself extinct long before we get to that point.

brian09

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 12:48 pm

I can't remember the man's name, but he was an adviser  when '2001-A Space Odessy" was made. It was years after the movie. He was asked in an interview if the things shown in the film could ever be acheived. He said we could already BE there,but we(mankind, or our  world leaders) hdd "lost the vision". And I'm afraid with the current political climate in this country we are getting further and further away from that vision. Heck, we can't even get back to the Moon, let alone acheive the Star Trek vision. And it's very very sad....

parrothead117

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 6:44 pm

I had a very wise high school Latin teacher who liked to say that if it hadn't been for the destruction of the Library at Alexandria, we would have been in space 300 years ago.

But even if he was right, and I like to think he was, we cannae break the laws of physics.  That light-speed barrier will be our downfall.

CaptainMauin

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 8:01 pm

While I believe that if we could get Earth's society straightened out and our governments to focus on Space Exploration, it could be possible, it probably won't happen. More likely than not, we'll all be dead by then.

I suppose that's what dreams are for. If you can't do it, dream.

Goodbye. I am gone.