Excelsior Class Enterprise-B

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 10:59 am

It it safe to assume that the Enterprise B got destroyed or severly damaged? As of the 24th century the Excelsior itself is still in service so it seems likely that happened. Or maybe just to celebrate the name Enterprise on a new ship (Ambassador Class) they just renamed it to something else? What do you guys think, because of the Excelsior still being in service I don't accept that the ship was "too old" like the excuse for the original in Star Trek 3.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 11:22 am

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 12:28 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Mar. 07 2011, 11:22 am

>The B survived the events of Generations. No doubt it was in service for many years. There are books about captain harriman and captain demora sulu and the B. Though excelsiors remained in service for years, there is no mention of the uss excelsior past the events of stvi/flashback.

Yes I am aware of all of that, I've read Captain's Daughter and Serpents Among the Ruins, I was just speculating as to what ultimately became of the ship? Was it renamed or simply destroyed? What does anyone else think? And the Excelsior was mentioned as part of the search group looking for the USS Hera in the episode "Interface".

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

tribblenator999

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 1:56 pm

The Enterprise-B served from 2293 all the way to the late 2320s. Was decomissioned. The Enterprise-C soon was commissioned in the early 2330s.

tribblenator999

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 10:49 pm

also enterprise-b will be forever known as the enterprise kirk died on.

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 11:05 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Pretty butt ugly ship...

It IS ugly! That was really not a good design for an Enterprise. I'd have to say the best looking one is the D.

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 08 2011, 4:39 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

I give no credence to what the crappy Haynes manual says. I follow the tech manual. I don't believe she was recommissioned either. As for the excelsior in tng, do we know it was ncc 2000? Even though excelsiors were still in use, I doubt any were of the original line. We have b52s flying today but none of the original "A" series.

I agree the B was not attractive. The bussard collectors made it more conventional but I hate the change to the secondary hull. It was put there because it was felt the excelsior model was overused and so they could damage a section without damaging the model. Ironically, they couldn't get the ribbing back off!

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Mar. 08 2011, 9:06 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>According to the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, the Enterprise-B "was a key figure in the exploration of space beyond the Gourami Sector. This ship and her crew were responsible for mapping over 142 star systems, including first contact with seventeen civilizations." In the "Ship's Legacy" section of the licensed Enterprise-D cut-away poster by Christopher Cushman, Captain Thomas Johnson, Jr. is listed as a commanding officer. According to the Haynes USS Enterprise Owners' Workshop Manual, the Enterprise-B was lost, and presumed destroyed, in deep space in 2329; its last transmission indicated that the crew may have been killed by a dangerous plague.

Well that's as good as an answer as far as I'm concerned. They would have been able to survive the plague but the cure didn't arrive till tuesday. I always assumed something must have happened to the ship, something more than a simple decommissioning. Look at the history of the ship they were all destroyed in some way. Maybe the Captain scuttled the ship as to prevent something bad from happening. As for the Excelsior in the 24th century well there is nothing to indicate that it is not the original either.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Mar. 08 2011, 9:46 am

It seems that there is a chance for some author or authors to flesh out the history of this ship and its crew.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 08 2011, 10:48 am

I wish more would be established in the tales of the B and C.

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 08 2011, 2:43 pm

I took another look at the Haynes Manual; noting it is partially written by Okuda I decided to dig in a bit.  Yanks, I'll give it credit for being better than I originally gave it credit for with good references, though still not as technical as I would like.

The Book seems to disagree a bit with established history from the Lost Era novels.

Ent B

Harriman

According to the Haynes book, Harriman left the Enterprise permanently after the maiden voyage, which disagrees with a few Lost Era books.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Mar. 08 2011, 6:46 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Mar. 08 2011, 10:48 am

>I wish more would be established in the tales of the B and C. It seems only the NX and A survived to decommissioning. I question the Haynes story, wondering who was behind the story. It seems the ufp has a problem with losing flagships, that's gotta be a demoralizer. There is another story that it was lost in battle, bit it has little credibility, being from an rpg game.

Well depending on how you view the books  the A was destroyed in the Ashes of Eden, but considering it was a Shatner book it might not fit in the book canon. I don't agree with Harriman leaving the B after that maiden voyage either, but I liked The Captains Daughter and The Lost Era and even the Harriman Captain's Log comic so I would love more info on their adventures.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 4:22 am

The shatner books are the least respected by the others, though I enjoyed the first 5.

The lost era books are no more or less canon than the tech manuals or Haynes manual, but this is an old topic. Of course, the IDW comics (where harriman stayed captain) and the relaunch books have strict editorial controls to mountain continuity. The writers of them also respect the lost era books.

JadenStrikerOVA

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 5:50 pm

It would seem to be like this.

Chassie!  The basic outter hual and frame work of the ship.

You can keep a chassie design it self for a long time, even recommision it, even give the chassie design a name.

But as far as the tech used in the ship, in all likely hood it will have the latest of what is avalible when that ship was made.

So you got a Cruiser name Excelsior when the first one came out, but is that just the name of that one ship or is that the name of the entire series of ships that are built with that chassie design?

exeter276

Report this Mar. 10 2011, 6:19 am

I too would like more (New tv series, anyone?) of the Enterprise B & C. I hated the captain in Generations, he acted like a green rookie not a starship captain commanding the Enterprise.