Why does Patrick Stewart Refuse to Sign Star Trek Items?

Picard198811

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 10:58 am

I never met him yet but I hope I get him on his good day so who can sign my stuff. But I saw videos on youtube and read an article telling how he refuses to sign star trek items. But he is happy to sign Shakespear stuff. its like he wants to be remembered more for Shakespear than star trek. What are you opinions on this. Why does he refuse to sign star trek Items. Does he hate Star Trek The Next Generation and its 4 movies now?

Dixon Hill

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 12:32 pm

If I could venture a guess? Most celebrities assume that if you want their signature, it's with the intent of selling it. You can thank internet sellers for that. And Star Trek is well-known for its value to collectors. So Patrick Stewart is probably happier signing momentos and anything not from Star Trek, because it is more than likely for the person he is signing it for. They will cherish its sentimental value. Even if I'm wrong about this, I don't think he hates Star Trek, He has just moved on with his life and career.

"A crisis for Captain Picard -- or a case for Dixon Hill, private detective?"

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 2:20 pm

I've never understood the fascination with signatures (other than possibly for authenticating an item)

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 4:44 pm

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 08 2011, 4:59 am

Agreed, sigs mean nothing to me. A conversation holds a lot of meaning. Afterward, a photo to remember the experience means a lot, a signature then authenticates the experience, but it means nothing to me if I didn't get to talk to the person.

jamesspock1

Report this Mar. 08 2011, 10:49 am

Well I have a picture of both Shatner & Nimoy, It has a sentimental value to me, I just wanted something original from them before they pass away.

captainroe

Report this Mar. 09 2011, 3:55 pm

Does he sign American Dad stuff?

Jaeih

Report this Mar. 22 2011, 6:15 pm

I wouldn't believe that he doesn't until ya have first hand knowledge that he doesn't, maybe he just didn't like the person who asked.

~Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow~

HisRoyalHighnessTheKing

Report this Mar. 22 2011, 11:02 pm

Sounds like nonsense.

Sir Patrick is a classy guy

There's no way he would try to marginalise his iconic Trek character.

May God Save The King

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Mar. 22 2011, 11:52 pm

Quote: janewayjunkie74656 @ Mar. 07 2011, 4:44 pm

>I would never buy a picture with a signature on it online. It doesn't mean anything to you at all. The point of autographs is being there yourself and actually meeting the person and them writing your name somtimes (like "To So and so, from Brent Spiner." Or whatever. That was just an example.)

>So if you get it off the Internet it has really no value to you, so IMO I would never buy that from the Internet.

I agree completely...

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Mar. 22 2011, 11:56 pm

But if I was to get Patrick Stewart to sign anything I would get him to sign something related to his work in the X-Men movie series as Professor Xavier... not his work on TNG as Picard...

odoisdabomb

Report this Mar. 23 2011, 3:57 am

"'No player shall at any time make contact with the umpire in any manner.' The prescribed penalty for the violation is immediate ejection from the game. Rule number 4.06, subsection A, paragraph 4 – look it up, but do it in the stands. YOU'RE GONE!"-Odo

Jaeih

Report this Mar. 23 2011, 3:14 pm

Quote: odoisdabomb @ Mar. 23 2011, 3:57 am

>Is it possible he is like Alec Guinness in that he is tired of only being considered  famous for his role of Picard?

Even though I've never heard anything like that, it could be the case.

~Beware lest you lose the substance by grasping at the shadow~

beverlypicard_4eva

Report this Apr. 01 2011, 12:33 pm

He often says in interviews that he dislikes being introduced as 'Star Trek's Sir Patrick Stewart' - he'd rather not have himself associated with one show over everything else he's done. Obviously he will always be best remembered for Star Trek but he just hates that it gets attached to his name, as if he's never been in anything else. Which, considering that he's one the greatest Shakespearean actors out there, I can understand.

However, I hope he does sign the odd thing - I'm seeing him in Merchant of Venice in August and really hoping to catch him at the stage door afterwards. I would LOVE to get both him and Gates McFadden (who I'm seeing at a convention in May YESSS!!!!) to sign the same photo of them together. I would be so happy if that happened, I might up and die right there. Perhaps if he can see there's a personal story or interest, then he wouldn't mind, because he knows it's not for eBay?

"you're a pretty hep looking broad" Where did my old account go? :(

Roboto

Report this Apr. 01 2011, 3:32 pm

Quote: janewayjunkie74656 @ Mar. 07 2011, 4:44 pm

I feel the same way. I only went against my views once to buy a little Data figurine in its fancy-looking box because Brent had autographed it... but honestly, I am not the kind of person who is insane about getting an actor's autograph. My attitude is "Pfft. It's his name. He wrote it. So what?" There must be something personal about it. I would NEVER by something online purely because it was signed by an actor I like.

I made a last year that I wanted Leonard Nimoy to autograph. It is not just that I wanted his autograph... but I wanted a chance to show him my artwork personally- something I created and worked hard on, not bought at some bargain site online- and to complete its uniqueness with his personal inscription.

When I go to the Chicago ST Convention this fall, I will meet Leonard Nimoy not to excitedly shove some stupid photograph under his nose for him to sign, then run out of there like some half-demented fan freak. No! I want to meet him, to tell him what an inspiration he has been to me throughout my adolescent life; I want to shake his hand, look at his face, and tell him how God has used him to bless so many people through his character, his acting, his life. The autograph I will receive from him on my drawing will just be a momento of that moment in time, something to look back on fondly.

Same goes with Brent Spiner, or John DeLancie, or Jonathon Frakes- heck, any actor or actress I meet. I am not interested in just some little signature, or even *just* a photograph. I am interested in the man, the woman, and who they are, and in sharing with them my admiration for them and what they have done for me personally.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam