ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Data's Uniform Color

Report this
Created by: Matthias Russell

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Mar. 06 2011, 3:37 pm

Data was TNG's Spock.  He was the scientific, logical mind.  That being the case, should he have been in the sciences and worn blue to be more Spock-like.  Furthermore, was he more scientist or engineer?


 


Which color SHOULD Data have worn?

janewayjunkie74656

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3227

Report this Mar. 06 2011, 4:04 pm

I don't know, I just know that he did the same thing that Harry Kim did on Voyager, and Harry wore yellow.


I think Data was fine in yellow, although the question "was he more scientist or engineer?" really gets me. I honestly don't know.


Join Moon Crater Plaza! A great new board looking for lots of new members! http://s4.zetaboards.com/Moon_Crater_Plaza/index/

quantumstring12

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 826

Report this Mar. 06 2011, 6:48 pm

Red is for command ranks only. Data only reached the rank of Lt. Commander, like Geordi and Worf so yellow, or gold, was the right color. He did wear red when he took over 1st Officer duties in episodes like Chain of Command and Future Imperfect.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 46291

Report this Mar. 06 2011, 8:03 pm

Quote: quantumstring12 @ Mar. 06 2011, 6:48 pm

>

>Red is for command ranks only. Data only reached the rank of Lt. Commander, like Geordi and Worf so yellow, or gold, was the right color. He did wear red when he took over 1st Officer duties in episodes like Chain of Command and Future Imperfect.

>
A lot of people wore red - even ensigns like Sam Lavelle.  I think it was to signify the main career track they were taking as well as their current primary role.  For example, La Forge started out in red and then when he took over as Chief Engineer, he changed to yellow.  I think Worf also started in red and then when Yar died, he swapped to yellow before going back to red on DS9.


parrothead117

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 299

Report this Mar. 06 2011, 8:24 pm

Yeah, I think it's a career track thing.  In Data's case, perhaps Starfleet initially encouraged him to pursue a technical career because they weren't too sure about whether an android should be given serious responsibilities usually reserved for humans, Vulcans, and other "traditional" life forms.

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 7:23 am

Data's uniform should have been Yellow.


He was ths ship's "Operations Officer," and Starfleet had Engineering, Operations, and Security organized in one group that represented the "Shipboard Operations" division.


Blue was reserved for the pure sciences (Medical, Stellar Chartography, Psychlogical, etc.)


I AM KEE-ROCK!!

nuts4data

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 53

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 12:37 pm

Good question, but I think Data's uniform is supposed to be yellow.


Don81

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 34

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 1:08 pm

Data's Uniform color should be yellow.


 

Roboto

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3883

Report this Mar. 08 2011, 5:25 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Mar. 07 2011, 7:23 am

>

>Data's uniform should have been Yellow.

>He was ths ship's "Operations Officer," and Starfleet had Engineering, Operations, and Security organized in one group that represented the "Shipboard Operations" division.

>Blue was reserved for the pure sciences (Medical, Stellar Chartography, Psychlogical, etc.)

>


Ditto.


LieutenantCommanderData62
5

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1886

Report this Mar. 10 2011, 2:12 pm

Yellow (:

But I wouldn't mind seeing him in red either


"I do not believe it is justified to sacrifice one life-form for another."-Data

DocFanFive

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1666

Report this Mar. 10 2011, 2:14 pm

Yellow all the way. red looks good on him too, but blue would just look weird.


Call me Doc, 'k? StarTrek.com's Resident Holographic Whovian since 2010.

267198ed

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2871

Report this Mar. 11 2011, 11:46 pm

Quote: DocFanFive @ Mar. 10 2011, 2:14 pm

>

>Yellow all the way. red looks good on him too, but blue would just look weird.

>


Really, I thought the red looked strange, washed out his prettiness XD But I do like seeing him in Command.


For sure Data was a yellow shirt, while having aspects of the other two, he was Operations Officer and was just as important in Engineering as Geordi, if not more at times.


Jolan Tru, may your day be filled with peace.

DocFanFive

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1666

Report this Mar. 14 2011, 2:25 pm

Hmmm... I actually liked red on him. He deserves command.


Call me Doc, 'k? StarTrek.com's Resident Holographic Whovian since 2010.

Trekwolf164

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 32043

Report this Mar. 14 2011, 2:53 pm

I heard some where that Data was to be in the red uniform but they did not like the way his make up looked in it.


But there was an episode where Data was a Captain in the Red uniform and he still looked like Data to me.


 


 

267198ed

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2871

Report this Mar. 14 2011, 3:54 pm

Quote: Trekwolf164 @ Mar. 14 2011, 2:53 pm

>

>I heard some where that Data was to be in the red uniform but they did not like the way his make up looked in it.

>But there was an episode where Data was a Captain in the Red uniform and he still looked like Data to me.

>


Really, I always thought it did kind of ruin the effect of the makeup, because of its metallic quality, it seemed to reflect colors, the yellow seemed to keep him from looking to white or green, instead of gold, the red just made it look flat, matte white-ish. 


Glad they went with yellow in the end if there actually was some debate over that.


Jolan Tru, may your day be filled with peace.

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum