Who here reads the cast biography books?

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 6:47 am

I have read the ones for the original cast including the one by Grace Lee Whitney. I found them all to be interesting but my favorite was From Sawdust to Stardust about Deforest Kelly.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 9:37 am

I read William Shatner's "Up til Now" I enjoyed it very much.

KLINGONDOG

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 11:56 am

I've read Bills and Georges books , aqnd would have say ejoyed Shats more.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Mar. 02 2011, 6:52 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>my favorite was From Sawdust to Stardust about Deforest Kelly.

I adored that book too; it was very beautifully and sensitively written. If you like that, then I'd also recommend A Harvest of Memories by Kristine Smith, which is a memoir about De Kelley. Both Sawdust and Harvest are must-reads for Kelley fans.

Thanks for the heads up on that book, I loved reading the other one such a great book. It was nice reading about that ring he always wore and what it meant, I confess I never really noticed it that much till after I read the book.

Beyond Uhura and Warped Factors were interesting reads as well.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

greenlantern8

Report this Mar. 07 2011, 4:59 am

The only one I read was Beyond Uhura and it was very good.

I would like to read more.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Apr. 28 2011, 2:07 pm

Warped Factors was quite enjoyable as well.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 28 2011, 7:25 pm

Six of Nine

Report this Apr. 29 2011, 3:28 pm

I liked The View From the Bridge loved Nick Meyer

As a wise man once wrote, : "Nature decays, but latinum lasts forever".

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Apr. 30 2011, 1:41 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 28 2011, 7:25 pm

>I don't bother with reading the biographies of actors.  I read lots of biographies but those of people who did amazing things, not those who portray those who did amazing things.

I've read plenty of biographies about non actors as well, but just because they done something of note in history doesn't mean they are anymore interesting than someone who has brought me years of entertainment. I liked reading about Queen Elizabeth, Nixon, and am currently reading a book about Churchill mainly because I enjoy history. However someone who I have been entertained by has lead just as interesting a life as any historical figure, like John Wayne or even the sad tale of Bobby Darrin. I know in this world it seems like there is too much attention paid to the idiot pseudo celebs and not enough on real world events and people who are doing more than being on TV but still there is something to be said for someone who can make you laugh or cry or whatever by singing or acting and just letting you forget your own troubles for awhile.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Matthias Russell

Report this Apr. 30 2011, 1:49 pm

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Apr. 30 2011, 3:14 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 30 2011, 1:49 pm

>If I want to forgot about my reality, I read fiction.  I read biographies to read about the personalities that shaped history.  Few actors have actually shaped history.  Even Shatner hasn't changed history.  Roddenberry and Jefferies, yes, but not the actor who portrays Kirk.

>I never understood why people idolize actors and athletes and not the people who actually shape our world and technology.  If a fictional character changed your life, that's great!  But it was the writer, not the actor so much that made the difference.

It doesn't exactly mean you idolize someone because you read a biography about them. The reason people read anything about anyone is because they find that person interesting. Remember most of the so-called shapers of history lead pretty mundane lives for the most part and then they happened to be in the right place at the right time and got remembered. Now I don't deny that in the big picture actors are not on the top of the totem pole of history but to say they don't affect how we percieve the world or how we remember things is just wrong. Besides Hitler shaped history too but I would rather read about someone like Shatner or Nimoy then what he was doing. And just to point this out those actors did shape history, they shaped the history of Star Trek and how we know it today, with the help of writers and directors and set designers, etc.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Faroutman

Report this Apr. 30 2011, 4:57 pm

Elim Garak: Remember: it's not just Tain we're looking for. The Maryland, the Proxima, the Sarajevo, Starfleet ships that have been lost in the Gamma Quadrant for years; and their crews - brave soldiers, warriors of the Federation unaccounted for... We owe it to them to do everything in our power to find them and bring them home. It's the honorable thing to do. Worf: You use that word, but you have no idea what it means. Elim Garak: Maybe not. But you do.

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Apr. 30 2011, 11:54 pm

Quote: Faroutman @ Apr. 30 2011, 4:57 pm

>My fav is "Beam Me Up, Scotty: Star Trek's "Scotty" in his own words" I've also read a few of Shatner's biographies and "I am Spock" and "I Am Not Spock" all were interesting. I picked up George Takei's a few days ago but haven't started it.

I enjoyed that one as well, and I think you will like Takei's book too it was good.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

2takesfrakes

Report this May. 01 2011, 1:37 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Apr. 30 2011, 1:49 pm

It's Sex Appeal - something movers
and shakers like Benjamin Franklin
and Eleanor Roosevelt never had ...

Six of Nine

Report this May. 01 2011, 1:47 pm

I just got "Beyond Uhura" and plan to start it tommorow