Would it be weird for a teenager to wear a Star Trek TOS T shirt in public today?

Ali88

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 6:42 am

We're living in a world now populated by Justin Bieber hair, iphones, ipads, chavs and Twilight fans, would it be weird or unusual for a teenager to go out in public wearing this T shirt:

Come on let's face it, how many teenagers today can you name that genuinely like the original star trek?

Teenagers today are into shows like Skins, The Inbetweeners, Gossip Girl, Hollyoaks, One Tree Hill and all that tripe, a teenager today liking star trek TOS? I don't think many teenagers liked TOS even back in the 60s for crying out loud!

I'm 20 but I look very young for my age, people think I look somewhere between 15 and 17 w

I just got this shirt and I'm thinking about wearing it outside, I think if I did, I would seem odd and out of place- like a stranger in my own enviroment

The spirit of the original star trek series is dead

The new trek movie did not reignite new interest in TOS, it just made people think it's too old fashioned and outdated and avoid it like a disease- I don't think there's really any young person of today's generation who has any remote interest in TOS, even if there is, there isn't many of them

I don't care what people think personally, it only shows that TOS lives on in me and I'm proud of that

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 6:53 am

Vger23

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 7:26 am

Treknoir

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 7:26 am

Child please, it's not that serious. My 18 year old daughter wears graphic tees with all sorts of comic book characters and symbols, old school rock bands, and whatever floats her fancy. In her mind, she is Supergirl. Now that's a throwback minor character!

Anyway, if they didn't PAY for it, they have no say in what YOU wear.

Sora

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 8:35 am

If you like the shirt wear it! I've been wearing Star Trek t-shirts for a long time now. Don't let anybody bring you down. I'm only 21 if that makes you feel any better. I've been a big Trek fan since I was like 10 or so. And I was made of by a lot of other kids growing up for it, and I obviously didn't care since I'm still here.

And I do really enjoy TOS, and I have a TOS shirt and I wear it out in public. There's nothing wrong with wearing a t-shirt. It's when you wear a full out uniform out in public for no real reason other than just to freak people out. And there have been some major hardcore fans who do stuff like that. Just watch the Trekkies and Trekkies 2 dvds and you'll see.

But you're a fan of something, and if like a shirt, wear it, if somebody wants to come up and start something with you over a shirt, that's their problem, not yours.

CaptainMauin

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 8:44 am

I'm a teen and I do love TOS. There would be nothing wrong or strange with wearing a Star Trek t-shirt in public. It's no different than a Twilight fan wearing a Twilight t-shirt out in public or a football fan wearing a jersey in public.

If I had Star Trek clothing, I'd wear it out in public. All you can do if someone doesn't like it is say "Don't like it? Too bad, because I do."

Goodbye. I am gone.

Matthias Russell

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 10:05 am

Quote: Vger23 @ Feb. 28 2011, 7:26 am

>I don't see it as an issue. I work with HS kids all the time, and I think it's much more acceptable these days to "express your individuality."

>I'll send you a "Star Trek Generations" T-shirt I have. You can wear that around. (no joke, I have one)

TOS is so iconic I see it no different than a batman or spiderman shirt. Geek is in these days, probably in large part to big bang theory. Tos would probably also be more pop culture accepted than other trek shirts and less nerdy.

I would love to get a black t shirt with star trek generations on it in the movie style title font in sizes for my son and me. That would be awesome!

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 11:02 am

Heck no its no problem haha, I do it allllllllllll the time! I'm proud to be a Trekkie!

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 11:06 am

I have the black long sleeve shirt with the ghosted Delta on the left chest

Like Pine had in Trek XI

Got it from

Roddenberry.com

Roboto

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 12:12 pm

Never! I am a senior in highschool, and I wear my shirt all the time. When I got this shirt at the Chicago ST Convention, I wore it to a Nutcracker ballet rehearsal the very next day, and wore it while dancing, too:

Nobody gave me strange looks or acted like I was a "weirdo". In fact, I had several comments of a positive nature, such as-

"That's really cool!"

"Star Trek, right? Neat!"

"Nice T-shirt. Snazzy-looking."

Like the others have said, this is the age of graphic t-shirts. There is nothing strange about wearing a Trek shirt... do it and be proud!

DocFanFive

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 2:14 pm

I would... if I had one...

But i wear my (don't yell at me!) star wars graphic tee all the time!

Call me Doc, 'k? StarTrek.com's Resident Holographic Whovian since 2010.

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 2:17 pm

Computer Deactivate EMH

DocFanFive

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 2:35 pm

*Splutters*

but... but...

*holoemitters power down*

Call me Doc, 'k? StarTrek.com's Resident Holographic Whovian since 2010.

Spockgical

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 8:56 pm

Quote: Trekwolf164 @ Feb. 28 2011, 6:53 am

>I think it would be fine. Look at  Sheldon on Big Bang Therory he wears DC t-shirts all of the time.

haha!! I love the big bang theory. I wear my BAZINA shirt all the time : )

I also wear my LLAP hoodie at least once a week. I can totally see where you are coming from Ali88 but wear the shirt proud! I got a replica of the Science Officier badge recently and I pinned it onto the lapel of my jacket and wore it out in public... and in school (and I am senior in HS plus a girl...lol)  I think that most people didn't even know what it means. But If it is special to you, then it's just special.