The Magicks of Megas-Tu

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Feb. 24 2011, 10:34 am

Pulled to the center of the Galaxy while investigating the theory of creation the 1701 encounters a devil like creature which leads the crew to experiment with magic.Taking exception to this a near by planet Megas-Tu begins a Witch hunt

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

AuH2O 64

Report this Feb. 24 2011, 5:05 pm

Spoiler warning:

Featuring the occult, witchcraft and Satan himself... this was definitely one of the strangest episodes featured during The Animated Series.

After watching this one, I think it would be hard to argue that TAS was ever intended purely as a childrens' program. Imagine little kids watching Kirk and Spock knock back a few beers with Lucifer or explaining to their parents that the devil was really just a misunderstood alien!

Having Picard argue on behalf of humanity in "Encounter at Farpoint" is one thing, but having Kirk argue on behalf of Satan is quite another! It's an interesting little episode... a little disjointed, but certainly one worth watching.

"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Feb. 24 2011, 9:44 pm

This is one of the more interesting episodes. Very 70's trippy hippy stuff. One of the concepts that was quite common on Star Trek was to reveal that the "gods" of human history were usually powerful aliens. This episode was interesting in its idea that "Satan" was in fact an alien.

Very trippy stuff, and likely my least favorite episode. But incidentally enough this episode really did seem to conform to the Star Trek TOS concepts.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Mar. 02 2011, 4:20 pm

Definitely a weird one - kinda reminds me of a combination the Invasion book series and the Q Continuum and the episode, Where No One Has Gone Before.

Beershark

Report this Mar. 02 2011, 10:54 pm

Once again Mr. Roddenberry was able to broach controversial subjects with impunity!

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Mar. 03 2011, 9:09 pm

Yes. But the Star Trek view is so obviously fiction that it doesn't even bother my religious beliefs in the slightest.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Mar. 04 2011, 1:14 am

Aparently, Roddenberry always wanted the TOS crew to meet God in one episode, but the network or someone wouldn't allow it. The Devil was the next best thing for him!
(Star Trek: TAS Special Features)

I thought this episode was weird... actually I think I've only watched it once... I rarely watch TAS (admittedly)... however, LtJedi is right.... it is in the style of TOS....

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Mar. 04 2011, 7:22 am

Yes it was a weird episode. i always enjoy how people are able to use animation to tell stories that they cannot tell in "real life" productions.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Matthias Russell

Report this May. 02 2011, 3:43 pm

So in this episode, they go to the galactic center to observe the creation of matter (and the devil) but in STV, they go to the center of the galaxy to find God.  Which is it?

I get the sense the concept of this episode is each galaxy has its own big bang.  In the center of the galaxy,matter and energy are in flux and the transition can be manipulated by these beings.

I guess this episode is interesting with the concept of a reality where magic is part of the laws of physics.  But I find the concept that these people are the witches from Salem silly; it is pretty ridiculous on the whole.

They defend the devil who is a good guy and Kirk fights these people using magic.  Very similar to Who Mourns for Adonis, but that TOS episode was much better.  So far, I’d say this is the worst of the series.

Six of Nine

Report this May. 02 2011, 4:45 pm

This episode is very weird, one of the worse TAS, I must say. Its from the 70's and for the 70's its really good.

Matthias Russell

Report this May. 03 2011, 4:02 am

I think it would have been silly and borderline offensive bo matter when it was made.

Users browsing this forum: jackson5_1988, maserey63, FleetAdmiral_BamBam