What toy company would you like to see releasing toys for the new Star Trek movie in 2012?

The1701

Report this Feb. 22 2011, 5:26 am

I dunno about many of you here but I was really REALLY disappointed with Playmates 2009 Star Trek toys. The magic and excitement they had in the 90's was truly missing with their 2009 offering. They've since lost the license so who should get the toy line next?

My vote goes to Hasbro. If there is any toy company better than Hasbro, I'd like to see them. These guys have just dominated the field releasing quality product after quality product and the possibilities with them involved with creating Star Trek toys just send shivers down my spine. A new movie USS Enterprise transformer would be amazing. shuttle craft ships, electronic USS Enterprise at the same size as their Star Wars BMF, quality 3 3/4 inch action figures and just everything else that Hasbro have bought to their Star Wars, Transformers, and Marvel ranges.

thoughts?

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Feb. 22 2011, 5:31 am

Art Asylum ,Diamond Select Very realistic castings

Matthias Russell

Report this Feb. 22 2011, 2:19 pm

Hopefully Art Asylum.  The figs from ST09 were as bad as the old playmates ones.  The face detail was terrible.

bgiles73

Report this Feb. 25 2011, 5:40 am

Hasbro would be a great choice. Their attention to detail on Star Wars: Vintage Original Trilogy Collection and GI Joe: Pursuit Of Cobra are second to none! I would love to see their take on Star Trek. A really good example of what Hasbro is capable of is the Snake Eyes figure in the Pursuit of Cobra line. The details on this figure are amazing. I'd really love to see this take on 2009-2012 Star Trek movie figures. Check out this review:     http://thefwoosh.com/2011/01/review-g-i-joe-pursuit-of-cobra-snake-eyes

firstblushcrush

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 4:42 pm

I've never really had any of the toys, really didn't know they existed. Is there a thread with pictures of people's collections?

vulcan lady

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 5:09 pm

I agree that Playmates flubbed it, but they know that by now.  There have been complaints all over the internet.

I originally was thrilled wihen I heard that Playmates was doing the 2009 movie, because they make the large 12" dolls, which I think I was the first to pick up at my Toys R Us.  But the rest of the toys were lame. The playsets and 3" dolls were horrible  (I only collect dolls, though).

I think the reboot of the franchise can completely be ruined by a bad toy line.  Kids were buying the Star Trek t-shirts and starting to get into it, and then there was nothing else much to buy.  Kids are not dumb, they know quality.  And us adults certainly don't like shoddy stuff to collect. There was nothing really for the kids to play with.

My son (17) said he thinks Playmates should have created and released every character and creature that was in the film, the way Star Wars does.  Then the kids would have ranked Star Trek up there with that franchise, or the Transformers one, etc.

Where was Scotty's pal?  Where was a child version of Spock?

I would vote for Playmates again if they would up the ante.  They can create some nice toys if they want to.

DIFTOR HEH SMUSMA!

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 4:41 am

I've given up on playmates, they never have and never will make figures with accurate representations in body size/shape and face. Hasbro has always done good with small figs. The star wars and marvel universe lines are excellent and have beautiful packaging. Diamond Select makes good larger figs; their marvel line is excellent.

Why trek keeps going back to playmates is a mystery to me. ST09 figs are still on toys r us shelves. They couldn't give them away!

OtakuJo

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 5:50 am

Weta.

vulcan lady

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 5:09 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Mar. 01 2011, 4:41 am

>ST09 figs are still on toys r us shelves. They couldn't give them away!

Where I live there is very little left on the shelves, just minor characters.  The 12" dolls flew off the shelves in a couple weeks, but those were unique.  So did every size Spock doll, incl. older Spock and Kirk.  But the problem was, once people bought the first most important dolls, there was not much left to collect.  The Star Trek Barbie dolls also sold-out quickly.

I still think the problem was there was not ENOUGH of a toy line for parents to invest in for the kids.  What were the kids actually going to play with? A small bridge set? One transporter set?  Figures of the same few main characters in three different sizes?

What Hasbro does right is they produce and release EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER when a Star Wars film comes out along with vehicles that they fit in!  Parents buy (and collectors buy) because they see a large display of figures for fun and imagination and collecting.  If you looked at what Playmates had for Star Trek XI from a chilld's point of view (one that was first introduced Star Trek by this last movie) wouldn't you think the toys looked boring?

On the other hand, Playmates could have released every character and creature (ex: Scotty's pal!) and different vehicles (ex: jellyfish ship),  different costumes (the space drop was so cool),  Spock's father and mother, spock as a child,  characters with accessories, and on and on.  If I was a kid and they did this, I would think that this movie was as cool as Star Wars.  Remember, the appeal of Star Wars was not only the movie, it was also the mechandising and play potential after the movie was over.  As I said in my last post above, this is what my son (17) said they should have done... released every character.  He loved the new movie and was not a Star Trek fan before (just liked ST TNG a little).

I don't understand why Playmates didn't get this.  The next toy company to produce toys for the next movie better get with it (I didn't know Playmates had lost the license).

(P.S. I saw on-line a preview of the next stage of toy releases of last year for the same Star Trek XI and was waiting to buy them, but Playmates never produced them for sale. Is this because the license to produce was taken away?).

DIFTOR HEH SMUSMA!

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 02 2011, 4:40 am

Who collects the figs, kids or adults? Mostly adults. The toy line should reflect qualities that appeal more to the adult collector than the child player. That means better accuracy. I agree they should try to make more figs, but a complete set of film characters will sell if they have collector appeal. Trek, even more than SW, is geared for an adult audience so its toys should be marketed similarly.

I will never buy a playmates ship. All the ships they've ever made look terrible and gave no semblance of accuracy. Diamond Select, however, gor it right in the first try.

vulcan lady

Report this Mar. 02 2011, 11:15 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Mar. 02 2011, 4:40 am

>Who collects the figs, kids or adults? Mostly adults.

Keep in mind, I write the following with ALL THE LOVE I can.....(Please read the whole thing before you squawk at me.).....

The new movie was aimed at children and adults.  I know from first-hand experience from speaking to many, many children that they saw Star Trek XI and loved it.  They had never even heard of Star Trek before (ex: when I wore my ST Science officer uniform for my students on Halloween in 2008, nobody knew who I was).  My boys, 15 and 16 at the time the movie came out, loved the new movie and came home saying it was great.  I thought Scotty's little alien pal was corny, but they liked him.

Yes, in the recent past mostly adults collected the figures, that's true. This was because only adults remembered vintage Star Trek (I'm an adult collector).

But when the series was first introduced in the Sixties, the toys and coloring books, games, puzzles, etc. were aiimed at kids (I have some of those vintage items, too).  Again, when there was a re-boost of new Star Trek toys produced in the Seventies because of the Star Trek movies, the toys were aimed at kids.  To make the latest Star Trek franchise successful again, the merchandise must be aimed at kids.

Let's refer to the Star Wars toys a minute....Whether you want to accept it or not, the Star Wars toys are aimed at kids (and the books, t shirts, pjs, stuffed toys, etc. ) and the majority are purchased for kids, even though adults love to collect the figures, too. (HASBRO HAS BEEN VERY SMART IN THEIR PRODUCTION!!!!!).  This is why when you go to a flea market (which I do alot) you can find so many vintage Star Wars toys that are out of the package and had been "played with".  An example:  I recently went to a Star Trek Sci-Fi Collectorfest and there was a guy there buying up all the "used, loose" Star Wars figures for himself which had been obviously battered about and played with by children.  My boys are teenagers now, but  they had Star Wars toys that they played with....Yes, their huge Millenium Falcon has been used! (oh the horror...it was taken out of hte package!)  We still have Star Wars toys loose in a big box.

Please understand me:  I'm telling you from the point of view of a children's educator and a collector who has children.  I am a collector of Star Trek toys myself and I do understand where you're coming from.  The Diamond Select toys are beautiful and I have some, but they only appeal to adults and are expensive.  I buy the old Playmates dolls and display them on their stands! I collect but I will never re-sell, so maybe you don't think I'm a true collector, but I have some beautiful things that you would probably love.

ANYWAY......from a person who has worked with school children for over 15 years (I have a Masters in education) and has my own boys, I can tell you that if Star Trek wants to keep up with Star Wars, then they have to make the toys appealing to both children and adults.  Playmates failed to do that this time around because the toys didn't appeal to anybody....boring, no potential.  Years ago Playmates made every ST figure imaginable (and I mean EVERY figure...every character from ST movies, every TOS episode, every TNG episode, etc).  I know 'cause I own many obscure characters.

Honestly, you must admit that all of the big franchises that released movie or TV show figures that were successful in marketing and selling alot of toys had things that appealed to both children and adults.

People on this thread keep referring to Hasbro for a good reason, because Hasbro makes Star Wars toys that are appealling for both play and collecting.

Okay, I spoke my piece.  Am I speaking intelligently?  Feell free to jump in, friends....I just want the toy companies to keep Star Trek alive as much as Star Wars....for all of us.  I'm on your side and I am trying to be very LOGICAL about this (After all, I'm the Vulcan lady)  .

Love ya.....   (kiss, kiss, kiss)

DIFTOR HEH SMUSMA!

TheAmazingFerengi

Report this Mar. 02 2011, 11:36 am

I say Hasbro.  As a person who owns over 600 Hasbro (and formerly Kenner) Star Wars action figures, I can say that Hasbro has done a BRILLIANT job.  Their figures keep getting better and I love them.  I'm an adult, but sometimes I just can't resist the urge to pick up another Star Wars action figure! I think they'd do great with Star Trek figures!

I own some of the Art Asylum Trek figures and I think they are very well made and great!  I'd go for them to make the figures as well! I'd be happy with both Hasbro and Art Asylum!

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 02 2011, 11:44 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>EVERYBODY, PLEASE READ MY POST ABOVE THE FERENGI AND COMMENT....

I wouldn't expect Vulcan ladies to blow kisses.

vulcan lady

Report this Mar. 02 2011, 12:06 pm

NOBODY COMMENTED ON WHAT I WROTE IN MY POST, AFTER I WROTE THAT WHOLE LONG THING (the post that is above the Ferengi)......

SOMEBODY WRITE SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT I WROTE, PLEASE!

(and I blow kisses because I am only half-Vulcan and I just can't control my emotions, Mathias Russell.  So there!)

DIFTOR HEH SMUSMA!

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 03 2011, 4:41 am

I did comment on your thread, lol.

I went to botcon (transformers convention) a few months ago and it was mostly adults. Some brought kids but everyone dropping money was dropping it on figs for themselves, not buying it because little billy was pointing and saying "that one, that one." I will agree with you that the new movie was popular with kids and is generating fresh fans. Having toys for them to play with will solidify them in the franchise, too. But both sides need to be covered by the toy line.

Look at star wars figs and transformers. SW is rereleasing old figs, this is for adults, not kids. Transformers are mostly difficult to changed (except for the animated ones) to a point no kid can change them. An even bigger market exists for these in japan than america where toy stores cater more to adults than kids. Adult japanese spend A LOT on collectable toys.
Hasbro's figs are comparable in price to playmates but are higher quality, encouraging adult sales while not handicapping children's sales. Neither market can be ignored but a better product will resonate more with consumers. Also, figs that look like their characters will help kids get attached to those characters and become hooked in the franchise.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam