Who is your favorite tactical officer?

Created by: KelisThePoet

KelisThePoet

Report this Feb. 21 2011, 3:50 pm

My favorite is Malcolm.  I think he was portrayed by one of the best, if not the best actor in the Enterprise series.  I also think he is an outstanding example of how to write a complex, well-rounded human character--which is something I think Star Trek could use more of.

So, besides wondering who is the favorite tactical officer among posters, I'm curious about two other things.

1) Is your favorite tactical officer the tactical officer in your favorite series?  In my case, the answer is no.  I like Voyager much better than Enterprise, and I think I like The Next Generation better than Enterprise, as well.

2) Is your favorite tactical officer the best at his or her job, or do you prefer this character for some other reason, such as his or her general traits, apart from the job of tactical officer?  Is it even possible to make this distinction?

Falor was a prosperous merchant who went on a journey to gain greater awareness: Through storms he crossed the Voroth Sea/ To reach the clouded shores of Raal/ Where old T’Para offered truth./ He traveled through the windswept hills/ And crossed the barren Fire Plains/ To find the silent monks of Kir./ Still unfulfilled, he journeyed home/ Told stories of the lessons learned/ And gained true wisdom by the giving. – Falor’s Journey, “Innocence”

coastcityo

Report this Feb. 21 2011, 3:56 pm

it's all about the Klingon who is my favorite TNG guy, but DS9 is my show. And they didn't even have a tactical officer, except when Worf was on the defiant. So,  guess he was my favorite Tac officer on my favorite show. As with all Trek characters, he was the best (on his show) at his job, but I mostly like him cause he's a bad mofo. Although Sisko will always be my favorite on DS9.

"Lions and Gigers and Bears..." "Oh my."

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Feb. 21 2011, 4:24 pm

I chose Tuvok mainly for that one time when he went against the Captain to try to get them home, It was in the First Season I believe.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

BrotherofShran01

Report this Feb. 21 2011, 4:29 pm

Checkov or sulu in TOS

for Sulu see balance of Terror or Errand of Mercy

checkov see TWOK

I always party at Starbase 63!

Starbase

267198ed

Report this Feb. 21 2011, 4:44 pm

Tuvok. Hands down.

EleanorD

Report this Feb. 21 2011, 5:24 pm

Technically, Tuvok's probably the most appropriate choice, since quick thinking and systematic logic come standard.  But Worf's the innate warrior, and I'd hate to see his face on the other side of the viewscreen during battle.

So I will learn to live with it... Because I can live with it... I can live with it...

Caesar753

Report this Feb. 21 2011, 8:38 pm

Tuvok.  I love the idea of a calm, calculated Vulcan manning the guns.

LieutenantCommanderData62

Report this Feb. 22 2011, 4:13 am

i enjoyed worf nd voted for him, im surprised that  tasha yar has  no votes

"I do not believe it is justified to sacrifice one life-form for another."-Data

tribblenator999

Report this Feb. 22 2011, 8:04 am

Vger23

Report this Feb. 22 2011, 9:25 am

They broke the mold with Worf.

A Klingon Tactical Officer is clearly the right way to go.

I would have said Sulu or Checkov, but technically they were Helm and Navigation...although I guess Checkov was Security Chief / Tactical Officer in TMP.

KelisThePoet

Report this Feb. 22 2011, 12:30 pm

"Im gonna split it in two categories. if it's fighting boarding parties worf gotta pick worf. If it's ship to ship fight sulu man. The guy never misses any shots. Except for in TWOk but they were in a nebulae.  I would like to see tuvok, reed, yar, or any one else able to have at least above 50% aaccuracy rating. lol  If it's in a gun to gun fight reed."

And if it's a sword fight . . . Sulu.

CaptainMauin

Report this Feb. 24 2011, 3:06 pm

Tuvok's my favorite Tactical Officer. I like Vulcans, and I think that he was the most efficient at his job.

Goodbye. I am gone.

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Feb. 24 2011, 10:23 pm

I CANNOT decide: Tuvok or Worf? I liked having a Klingon in Starfleet. I like Vulcans, because I am sentimental about Spock. They are both great tactical officers.

Shut Up Wesley

Report this Feb. 25 2011, 1:06 pm

Quote: Caesar753 @ Feb. 21 2011, 8:38 pm

>Tuvok.  I love the idea of a calm, calculated Vulcan manning the guns.

I prefer a trigger happy klingon.

You Know Your a Trekkie if.... You find yourself executing the Picard Maneuver.

KelisThePoet

Report this Feb. 25 2011, 5:39 pm

No one else likes Malcolm?

Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinions.

I like aspects of Tuvok's character, but the idea of a Vulcan tactical officer never sat quite right with me.  Granted we are talking about an entire species over a hundred years of history but . . . McCoy says that Vulcans value peace above all, and Sarek was upset with Spock just for serving as a science officer in Starfleet because he's a pacifist and thought that the whole organization was too militaristic.  So, making the Vulcan the most militaristic character in the Voyager series was strange for me.