General Star Trek New Novel Thread

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Feb. 19 2011, 11:36 pm

This is will be (I hope) the gathering place for Star Trek Novel Readers for the months to come.

Rather than creating a new thread for each novel that will be released from March 2011 on, this thread is designed to be a clearing house for comments on novels, and hopefully will attract the attention of the writers themselves.

I look forward to hearing from my fellow Star Trek novel enthusiasts.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Feb. 19 2011, 11:39 pm

Star Trek: Indistinguishable from Magic

By David McIntee.

(Product Description from Amazon) Product Description The most talented Starfleet engineers of two generations unite to solve a two-hundred-year-old technological mystery that turns out to be only the beginning of a wider quest.

With the support of Guinan and Nog, as well as the crew of the U.S.S. Challenger, Geordi La Forge and Montgomery Scott soon find themselves drawn into a larger, deadlier, and far more personal adventure. Helped by old friends and hindered by old enemies, their investigation will come to threaten everything they hold dear. Seeking out the new, and going where no one has gonebefore, Geordi, Scotty, and Guinan find that their pasts are very much of the present, and must determine whether any sufficiently advanced technology is really indistinguishable from magic.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Feb. 19 2011, 11:42 pm

This book will be released on March 29th 2011.

Are you as a reader looking forward to this stand alone novel? What mystery do you think the heroes will encounter?

Matthias Russell

Report this Feb. 20 2011, 5:53 am

So much for a thread for each series, huh?

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Feb. 20 2011, 6:40 am

I thought about that, but most of the posters here are too lazy to scroll down and find a thread. So they just start a new one or don't post at all. So if there is one location for all novel discussions, then it might make it easier.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Matthias Russell

Report this Feb. 21 2011, 6:52 am

I guess indistinguishable from magic and temporal investigations don't prescribe to a particular series, anyways.  In fact, for the most part, the entire typhon pact had many crossovers.  It seems they are all mixed together now.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Feb. 21 2011, 3:21 pm

Seeing as there are so many characters, and the Internet allows authors to research them and "remember" their individual backstories, it is quite likely that the new novels will continue to use a bunch of recurring characters.

I looked up the USS Challenger, and other than the retarded Shatnerverse novels, the only time the Challenger was used was in an alternate universe Voyager episode, where only Harry Kim and Chakotay get back to the Alpha Quadrant and in the future try to correct the mistake. They are intercepted by the USS Challenger commanded by Geordi. Perhaps this story will deal with his actions as Captain. This also will tie in to STO, which seems to be viewed as canon by some writers.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Matthias Russell

Report this Feb. 21 2011, 3:52 pm

The Challenger was also present when Voyager came home in endgame.

I noticed that the authors have taken to thanking the fans who update memory beta.  Good reason to keep it updated, it helps the authors in maintaining continuity.  I really should start updating that site instead of being active here.  Seems like I can make a bigger difference for the franchise there.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Mar. 14 2011, 7:00 am

That is an interesting idea. If you update the site, let me know how that works.

We are about two weeks away from release. Would you like to see more or less new Trek novels?

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 14 2011, 10:54 am

I think one a month is a good number. You have to be careful not to oversaturate or put out so many it is hard for the authors to maintain continuity.

lizlizzie

Report this Mar. 16 2011, 12:29 am

I have noticed that a lot of new books are only in ebook format. I will have to get a reader, as I have been reading star trek books since the 70s and hate to miss out.

MetalGorn

Report this Mar. 19 2011, 5:23 pm

WIll Indistinguishable from Magic tie in at all to whats happened post Destiny/Typhon Pact?

Earthling! I grow weary from the chase. Wait for me! I shall be merciful, and quick!

Reanok

Report this Mar. 20 2011, 1:04 pm

Indistiguishable Magic is supposed to be a Stand alone TNG Novel anyway that's what David McIntee has mentioned several times at trek bbs. I have no idea if it will tie up lose ends from the Destiny novels or Typhon pac books.We'll just have to wait until the book comes out in another week. I can't wait to get this book.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Mar. 20 2011, 9:07 pm

That is correct. For the time being (a few months at least) it seems that the larger story will be not be focused on. Instead several stand alone novels will be released.

I am eager to see what Guinan's role will be. Any thoughts?

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Matthias Russell

Report this Mar. 22 2011, 10:43 am

Though IFM will not continue a plot thread, it will maintain continuity with other novels which is why I'd like to know the timeframe it takes place.