Why I love Spock's brain

Arcos.ucip

Report this Feb. 16 2011, 7:28 pm

Noted on the comparison of drives:

so the potential goes(no mechanics to produce either at this point)

toranaprem

Report this Feb. 16 2011, 9:48 pm

I LOVE "Spock's Brain". It is one of my most-watched TOS episodes, ever.

But it's not because it's good. Well, it is good, but you know, in the MST3K so bad it's good kind of way. It always cheers me up when I'm depressed with its total goofiness.

"Brain and brain! What is brain?!"

"What will they find when I am ripped apart? 'I love you, captain' written on my heart."

Ziriath

Report this Feb. 17 2011, 11:35 am

Spock's brainless body should have been controlled in the way of the game called QWOP ( http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html  They would have some fun with it.

Spock's Brain

Report this Feb. 17 2011, 7:21 pm

I have sentimental reasons for liking this episode.   Our local TV station was showing Star Trek on Sunday nights at 11:30 and I would stay up and watch.  I first saw Spock's Brain there and was excited about seeing an episode I never saw before.  Then in 1983 there was a 12 hour marathon of star treks on a TV station from Cleveland.  People had voted for their favortite episodes and Spock's Brain came in at number 12.

There is a classic line from this episode, where the men on the surface describes the women as the givers of pain and pleasure.  I think most men can relate to this sentiment.

dog faced boy

gav6161

Report this Feb. 19 2011, 11:08 am

Don't think it's any worse than any other episodes.  Is a better episode than I remembered it to be down the years.

Ziriath

Report this Feb. 28 2011, 11:16 am

Eymorgs were quite dumb. Almost every normal woman would steal WHOLE Spock.

THE WOMEN!!!

Spouter

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 2:43 am

Roboto

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 12:23 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Hi Arcos and welcome to the boards.

>You're entitled to your own opinion but IMO 'Spock's Brain' was just rubbish.

>I agree the idea was sort of acceptable - a brain controlling the planet and the women keeping the men in their place and using them when needed, for sex, muscleman, gathering food yeh. OK now I'm warming to the episode.

>The main problem for me was that zombie Spock. I'll never get over it - its so funny. And Spock telling McCoy how to put back his brain, and there being no-ill effects after it, not one hair out of place and Spock being such a smart-arse.

>It had some good bits. Kirk asking guidance from the rest of the bridge crew for once, Kirk's concern for Spock. Scotty's little faint. OK it wasn't all that bad.

I really have to go with you there.

Zombie Spock= appalled me.

I mean, honestly- why on earth did McCoy decide to bring Spock's- uh- body, down on the planet with them? What was the point of that? And that ticking noise when Spock "rolled" along... *SHUDDER*

Trekwolf164

POSTS: 32043

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 12:26 pm

"Weekend with Spock" Two cadets get hold of Commander Spock's body from sick bay and take him to Risa for Spring Break

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

DocFanFive

Report this Mar. 01 2011, 3:31 pm

this episode was...

"fascinating"?

I think that is a good word for it...

Call me Doc, 'k? StarTrek.com's Resident Holographic Whovian since 2010.

gav6161

Report this Mar. 04 2011, 12:29 am

Quote: Spouter @ Mar. 01 2011, 2:43 am

>I like this epsiode too. Its a good laugh if nothing else. Imo, the worst eps were the dull ones (Mudd's Women, Obsession, The Mark of Gideon, Elaan of Troyius) and one thing `Spock's Brain' isnt is dull.

I liked Obsession and Elaan of Troyius.

Vger23

Report this Mar. 04 2011, 6:39 am

"Spocks Brain," which I watched last night, was campy and foolish....but not "bad." It had some great stuff in it despite it's silliness. I look at it as kind of a "Star Trek V" (which I also like): silly, but filled with all kinds of subtle goodness.

If you want really "bad" episodes, then turn no further than "Plato's Stepchildren" and "And The Children Shall Lead."

ScienceAlive

Report this Mar. 05 2011, 7:21 pm

Quote: Arcos.ucip @ Feb. 16 2011, 7:28 pm

>The opening scene opens with the removal of spocks brain, then continues on to McCoy rigging up a artificial brain device.

>The brain device itself is a great use of futuristic science, or science improbable at the time, but with many years of research and innovation a possibility.  The device concept or futuristic science being displayed here is artificial organs and transplant.  The brain removal of course is the later, the device is first.

>Now, an additional use here would note that the ship of woman who took the brain is beyond the capabilities of the then thought to be future of Earth.  It has an ion drive, something being theorized in late sixties and early seventies.  With more research it was something we thought would be even better than the warp ones.

>Noted on the comparison of drives:

>Anti-matter/matter reaction is a lot like the fision/fusion of today for the time period, it is a reaction between the simplest form of Hydrogen containing a neutron and the simplest form of antimatter.  Now the warp theory is based on fields of effect and the production of plasma to produce a warp field.  Plasma must be heated, and the energetic reaction of the two is science future probable.  Plasma itself is science future cosmic radioactive field probable.

>Ion drive:  same thing as the anti-matter only using the ionic potentials of atoms (possible antimatter atoms too) and the reverse polarity of the two to create the reaction.  Anti-matter isn't done like in the collision neither is the other ionic atom.

>so the potential goes(no mechanics to produce either at this point)

>Now show continues with ship traveling to planet of under ground women who use men for reproduction a teacher device.

>Some civil rights and suffrage here: Women finally reached their potential as strong minds and realized that the warring nature of man was too great to risk involving them in their plans for utopia.  Pretty much a look at woman as the better of sexes to unify (unify excluding man) if everyone is nice and doesn't fight then society wins.  sort of your Zephreme Cochrane or Surek of the world.  Man declines to cave man and lives on surface only being selected for mating purposes(might work out okay in the end for most men who wanted that life style anyways)

>Now the restraint devices worn in the show are a fore runner of two technologies used today: the shock collar and the wireless remote.  The use here is probably an acceptable one, detainment for protection and not used in a totally harmful way, but we already went over this planet’s woman being sort of pacifist-utopia society…

>Anyways the teacher which McCoy figures out has devastated their society as all the utopia women have not really been educated, rather they’ve had knowledge enhancement through a device that teaches them all they need to know, and the effect passes with time as not to damage the brain. Possible reason it damages enhanced neuron transmissions in brain.

>Spocks brain is located and hooked up to a computer system, we saw that earlier, but now McCoy has a way to remove him and re-attach spock’s brain to spock’s body.  In essence what we have here is a mastery of electronic to biological, somewhat of a fore runner theory to the computer chip devices being proposed to help people with severe depression or give artificial limbs the full motions desired.  Somewhat futuristic science still today.

>Now the transplant of the brain becomes closer to federation technology as McCoy connects the brain back to the body and spock assists.  Brain surgery today requires assistance of patient in operation.  Pretty good job, if I should say so myself. Star Trek writers and Gene Rodenberry for the win.

Wow what a wonderful writeup on all the technology. I love this episode, it is one of my favorites and I agree with you on all points. TOS is definately not my fav series but it has some gems and this episode is one of them.

I'm takin no direction and I walk-a real slow, For the words of oppression are go, go, go. Caribbean time in motion, fireflyin across the ocean. And I can see the future.

avon2zion

Report this Mar. 06 2011, 4:24 pm

I have to say as a female trekkie, i love ST for the hot cyber outfits the chicks always got to wear in TOS(blame the 60's!), so the BEST part is Kara's outfit.  I happened to watch this again after years and I know what my Halloween costume is-Gaga wishes she had that outfit. love it.

"I am woman,created for pain and pleasure,'nuf said"Kara,if she was latina