ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Is there a function to block signatures?

267198ed

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2871

Report this Feb. 11 2011, 8:32 pm

nope, not yet, and I agree, sometimes I just don’t care about seeing HUGE ridiculous photos of your favorite ST character. There are a lot of improvements that need to be done here at ST.com

Jolan Tru, may your day be filled with peace.

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Feb. 11 2011, 8:33 pm

Just enjoy them in all their glory, lol. Seriously, go to the startrekonline forums or other boards with a lower average member age. Full of gifs and crazier graphics. You could always create a signature that states how much you hate repulsive pictoral signatures.

Roboto

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3883

Report this Feb. 11 2011, 9:23 pm

No, there is no such function.

If you find the images so "repulsive", Bite_Me, then I suppose you will just have to either deal with it or check out another website.

Roboto

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3883

Report this Feb. 11 2011, 9:32 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Why are images allowed to be put in peoples' signatures here at all ? I hope this place doesn't allow the kind of signature image stupidity you see at other boards. Makes it very hard to follow what is being posted and turns threads that might otherwize be 2 pages long into 20 pages full of endlessly repeated image stupidity and advertising for this and that satellite board. Can really do without that here IMO.


I find it no more distracting as avatars being "endlessly" repeated by every single member on this site!

I must say, I find it interesting that this is even a topic. The only people who have ANY images in their signatures are Matt, myself, and a couple people who I recently made signatures... but they are new members and have not posted much.

In all mentioned cases, I am the sole creator of these images. So! Am I to take this as some sort of a personal attack? I am not amused, I can assure you.

I see that a lot of people have been really delighted that I offer my graphic talents to them, so for that reason I shall continue making signatures and avatars as the requests come. Not a single person has complained. If you find my work so "repulsive"... well, as I said, since there is no option to hide my Lovely images- which I purposefully designed NOT to be big or obtrusive, and not to take any more space than the average post- you will just have to deal with them, or move on.

And a note to the ADMIN, this is not an attack, but an artist's defense of her work.

Roboto

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3883

Report this Feb. 11 2011, 9:34 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>No, there is no such function. If you find the images so "repulsive", Bite_Me, then I suppose you will just have to either deal with it or check out another website.
Of course, As stated above, this is an oft used tactic to discourage membership at a given site. However, most sites can let one block the unfunny, pedestrian, sometimes vile and repetitive aspects of huge signatures. This site isn't family-friendly and is always at risk for explicit pictures to be posted at any time.


When you see someone with a "huge" signature that is "unfunny", "pedestrian", "vile", and "repetitive", do let me know. I have yet to come across such a thing.


Sure, any website that allows any kind of picture posting to be allowed is always subject to risk of skanky pictures... but then, with that argument, there 'should' be no avatars as well. No images of any kind 'should' be allowed. But then, what kind of a site would this be if images could not be shared? It would be like the internet in its Stone Age.


I suppose that the ADMIN trust members to act in a civilized manner. For those who do not, the report button is available. It is all so simple. 


Roboto

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3883

Report this Feb. 11 2011, 9:55 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>Why are images allowed to be put in peoples' signatures here at all ? I hope this place doesn't allow the kind of signature image stupidity you see at other boards. Makes it very hard to follow what is being posted and turns threads that might otherwize be 2 pages long into 20 pages full of endlessly repeated image stupidity and advertising for this and that satellite board. Can really do without that here IMO.
I find it no more distracting as avatars being "endlessly" repeated by every single member on this site! I must say, I find it interesting that this is even a topic. The only people who have ANY images in their signatures are Matt, myself, and a couple people who I recently made signatures... but they are new members and have not posted much. In all mentioned cases, I am the sole creator of these images. So! Am I to take this as some sort of a personal attack? I am not amused, I can assure you. I see that a lot of people have been really delighted that I offer my graphic talents to them, so for that reason I shall continue making signatures and avatars as the requests come. Not a single person has complained. If you find my work so "repulsive"... well, as I said, since there is no option to hide my Lovely images- which I purposefully designed NOT to be big or obtrusive, and not to take any more space than the average post- you will just have to deal with them, or move on. And a note to the ADMIN, this is not an attack, but an artist's defense of her work.
Attack? LOL My opinion is an attack? And how the heck could I possibly know that you designed anything here? I have no idea who you are or if you are male or female, young or old. Then, after projecting this and also the power of ESP LOL upon me, you say that you are not attacking me? mama mia! I could care less what people do with their sigs, and more power to them...if I don't have to be subjected to them endlessly. In fact, I can't think of another board (I'm familiar with dozens of them) that doesn't allow a member to block sigs for all the reasons previously stated. Some like them, others don't, and each member should be able to view or block them. Furthermore, I reiterate that explicit pictures could be posted anytime at this site and remain up for days until admin took a look.


Considering that my "Custom Avatars/Signatures" thread has been a very active thread the last few days, has been under "Popular Topics" for that period of time, and considering the fact that, as I already stated, there a minuscule amount of signature images on this site (which have only popped up the last couple of days), I think it hardly a coincidence that you post this now.


Otherwise, who would you be complaining about? Logical deduction. Elementary.


And Bite_Me, I shall add that you would hardly need to know my age or gender to know my work. That information is irrelavent to the fact and as far as I am concerned, is no business of yours.


To be fair, I do not mind if you did not like the signatures that pop up. Everyone is entitled to an opinion... granted, that it can be expressed with respect and tactfulness, something which your earlier posts lack, as can be attested by the language chosen. No, I am not attacking you: I am telling you that I find your lack of civility in your posts to be undesirable and uncalled for. Take it or leave it. I do not care either way. I have spoken my piece and I will not be saying any more on the matter.


267198ed

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2871

Report this Feb. 11 2011, 11:50 pm

Aw, poor Roboto, nothing huge or repulsive about your signatures, I think I have only seen one signature that had a huge photo in it, when I first came on here, which was probably just a mistake since I have yet to see it again. I do think there should be size restriction on signature images, no lager than Roboto’s. At least those are tastefully executed and not garish and unseemly.

Jolan Tru, may your day be filled with peace.

Tal Adair

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 992

Report this Feb. 12 2011, 9:50 am

While I can understand you point regarding simplifying pages for ease of reading posts, there wasn't a need to be belligerent, arrogant or insulting about your opinion, Bite_Me. I can also understand why Roboto felt personally attacked, in light of her recent, kind helping of several young members with new signature graphics.

But, if we were expecting someone who calls himself "Bite_Me" to be a diplomat... well, that just ain't gonna happen.

It's sufficient to say that some people enjoy the visuals and some don't. Perhaps you could request that this option be made for the site. In the mean time, you might find such a function in your browser controls.... most allow for some kind of text-only browsing. Abetter solution would be to try a simple add-on called "Adblock Plus" that will allow you to selectively block unwanted images from your personally picky view. Good luck with that.

Admittedly, I am a barbarian. As such, I do not belong here. -- "It was far easier for you as civilized men to behave like barbarians than it was for them as barbarians to behave like civilized men." ~ Spock

Dendodge

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 945

Report this Feb. 12 2011, 10:27 am

I don't find signatures particularly distracting, and I actually find they often make it easier to quickly distinguish, visually, who said what.

(And, to take some of the blame away from Roboto, I made mine myself. Bite me.)

DS9TREK

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 14335

Report this Feb. 12 2011, 2:00 pm

To clarify: Bite_Me isn't asking for pics in sigs to be banned. He/she is asking for the ability to chose whether or not you wish to view them. Some of the responses to this thread suggest some people have the wrong end of the stick.

LieutenantCommanderData62
5

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1886

Report this Feb. 12 2011, 5:53 pm

Quote: Dendodge @ Feb. 12 2011, 10:27 am

I don't find signatures particularly distracting, and I actually find they often make it easier to quickly distinguish, visually, who said what. (And, to take some of the blame away from Roboto, I made mine myself. Bite me.)


I agree, I like the signatures just to identify who is who.
I have yet to see huge ones that are quote on quote repulsive.
I like the size of our signatures (Roboto and I)


"I do not believe it is justified to sacrifice one life-form for another."-Data

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Feb. 12 2011, 7:59 pm

I am in the group who likes them because it makes it easier to identify posters and space comments.

However, I understand people wanting to go without and having the option for them not to be shown. It would probably be easy to program such an option into the site but I have never seen such an option offered on any board.

DS9TREK

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 14335

Report this Feb. 13 2011, 7:49 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Feb. 12 2011, 7:59 pm

I am in the group who likes them because it makes it easier to identify posters and space comments. However, I understand people wanting to go without and having the option for them not to be shown. It would probably be easy to program such an option into the site but I have never seen such an option offered on any board.
You probably haven't looked for the option because it is common on many boards. The old IkonBoard StarTrek.com not only had the option to hide pictures in sig's but even text too.

Dendodge

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 945

Report this Feb. 13 2011, 2:01 pm

Which of those signatures is disgusting?
They are all standard signature size, but I'm willing to accept that large is relative.

What I am curious about is, what is so disgusting about a spaceship, Ezri Dax, Jonathan Frakes's signature, and Data?

TheMaskedMarvel

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 65

Report this Feb. 13 2011, 2:57 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

>For examples of gigantic and disgusting sigs, peruse the some guy for admin thread.
"Disgusting" is a very strong word. From what I have seen, the only people in the "Matthias for Administrator" thread who have ANY signature images are Matthias, 2takesfrakes, Dendodge, and the lovely Roboto. I shall post them for reference.


Matthias:



 


2takesfrakes:



 


Dendodge:



 


Roboto:



 


Please explain in simple terms what you find so "disgusting" about these signatures. They are all unique, not that large (except perhaps for Dendodge's, but it is simple in nature so it is not visually crowding).


If you have issues with anyone's signatures, using flaming language such as what you've been using "disgusting, repulsive, vile" is not a way to go about expressing an issue. 


For example, if any one of these images appeared very large on your computer screen (different computers sometimes disort the sizes of images- on my computer, images appear smaller than they are), you could simply go to the owner of the image and say


"Hi there, your signature always appears quite large on my screen; it takes time to load and I find it really distracting. Could you please resize it a bit?"


I don't think any of these people would mind a request like that. But going around and bad-mouthing people's personal expression is poor ettiquette, period.


Absolutely marvelous.

Recently logged in

Users browsing this forum: Drunkin Druid, darmokattanagra

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum