ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Kal-If-Fee

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 3:05 pm

The Vulcan passion fight to the death made good story and certainly gets the urges out, but wouldn't the UFP have a problem with a member world that practices this ritual?


Valoy

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 62

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 3:30 pm

Prime Directive?

I really think that so advanced culture can invent therapy for people suffering from too high sex drive. Real Vulcans probably would have it and this kal-if-fee is only to make a movie more dramatic. Remember that it's 60s movie.


God, give a little love, bring me back a Borg in the next life! || All aliens speak English, but not every does it native. Correct me, if neccessary.

Trekwolf164

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 32043

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 3:33 pm

Kirk did not even have permission to be on Vulcan never mind being in a ritual fight to the death with his First Officer.


 


www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

2takesfrakes

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3682

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 3:45 pm

Valoy has a point of course.

It's interesting to note though,
how much ENTERPRISE informs this
particular Original Series episode.

The Vulcans gave and guided Earth
through so much of the initiation
process into the larger Galaxy.

Perhaps, Earth decided it's best
not to bite the hand that feeds it,
by protesting such a ritual. Vulcan
may be barbaric at times, but in its
relations with Earth, it's quite "logical."

Roboto

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3883

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 4:23 pm

Quote: Valoy @ Feb. 10 2011, 3:30 pm

>Prime Directive? I really think that so advanced culture can invent therapy for people suffering from too high sex drive. Real Vulcans probably would have it and this kal-if-fee is only to make a movie more dramatic. Remember that it's 60s movie.


Ditto.


Besides... if something like that happened now, two words would silence opposition immediately:


RACISM!!! DISCRIMINATION! 


I can imagine that in Star Trek time, they would not think of "interferring" with "cultural differences".


Treknoir

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1784

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 5:29 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Feb. 10 2011, 3:05 pm

The Vulcan passion fight to the death made good story and certainly gets the urges out, but wouldn't the UFP have a problem with a member world that practices this ritual?



The better question, IMO, is why a logical race wouldn't have found a better way to deal with broken engagements? LOL

I love all things Vulcan and Spock, but it's clear GR and past ST writers threw in extreme "cultural" elements as a juxtaposition to Vulcan's practice of logic as an ideal and to make them just a little less noble and superior. I.E., They were stronger, faster, and lived longer, but HAHA (Neloson Muntz laugh), they had silly, barbaric rituals!

Still love 'em, though.

It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want. - Spock

Trekwolf164

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 32043

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 5:32 pm

First off Vulcan's don't advertise their practices.


So Star Fleet probably don't know and probably never asked cause religion and sex are personal


 


www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

wissa

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4022

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 5:55 pm

Quote: Treknoir @ Feb. 10 2011, 5:29 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Feb. 10 2011, 3:05 pm

The Vulcan passion fight to the death made good story and certainly gets the urges out, but wouldn't the UFP have a problem with a member world that practices this ritual?

The better question, IMO, is why a logical race wouldn't have found a better way to deal with broken engagements? LOL I love all things Vulcan and Spock, but it's clear GR and past ST writers threw in extreme "cultural" elements as a juxtaposition to Vulcan's practice of logic as an ideal and to make them just a little less noble and superior. I.E., They were stronger, faster, and lived longer, but HAHA (Neloson Muntz laugh), they had silly, barbaric rituals! Still love 'em, though.


perhaps the fight to the death thing was almost never done anymore. So rare it didn't get mentioned at any other point.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Trekwolf164

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 32043

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 6:04 pm

Quote: wissa @ Feb. 10 2011, 5:55 pm

Quote: Treknoir @ Feb. 10 2011, 5:29 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Feb. 10 2011, 3:05 pm

The Vulcan passion fight to the death made good story and certainly gets the urges out, but wouldn't the UFP have a problem with a member world that practices this ritual?

The better question, IMO, is why a logical race wouldn't have found a better way to deal with broken engagements? LOL I love all things Vulcan and Spock, but it's clear GR and past ST writers threw in extreme "cultural" elements as a juxtaposition to Vulcan's practice of logic as an ideal and to make them just a little less noble and superior. I.E., They were stronger, faster, and lived longer, but HAHA (Neloson Muntz laugh), they had silly, barbaric rituals! Still love 'em, though.
perhaps the fight to the death thing was almost never done anymore. So rare it didn't get mentioned at any other point.
I thought Kirk and McCoy were the first outworlders .
But then there is Archer

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 7:42 pm

No doubt Vulcans suppressed knowledge of the ritual, and for good reason. Still, just as Pon Farr eventually became public knowledge, this ritual had to come to light too and when it did, I'm sure the UFP would have a fit. I can't see McCoy not talking to the court of UFP human rights and crying foul. The UFP expects member worlds to respect personal freedom, I can't see them allowing a founding world to continue the practice of sex driven murder.

Trekwolf164

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 32043

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 7:46 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Feb. 10 2011, 7:42 pm

No doubt Vulcans suppressed knowledge of the ritual, and for good reason. Still, just as Pon Farr eventually became public knowledge, this ritual had to come to light too and when it did, I'm sure the UFP would have a fit. I can't see McCoy not talking to the court of UFP human rights and crying foul. The UFP expects member worlds to respect personal freedom, I can't see them allowing a founding world to continue the practice of sex driven murder.
When you say it like that it sounds bad.
I don't see Starfleet as being able to dictate rules regurding religon for any world.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 8:00 pm

Not starfleet, the UFP. Here in America, there is freedom of religion, but that doesn't stop the government from saying, "Worship god as you please but no polygamy or killing people." I can't see the Federation approving either.

Trekwolf164

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 32043

Report this Feb. 10 2011, 8:04 pm

We have mormoms in Utah and Mosks at Ground Zero


Seen em both on the HBO


 


www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcdZla4gKk0

Matthias Russell

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 7705

Report this Feb. 11 2011, 4:50 am

But you don't see trek on hbo!

Granted, there are groups that bend the rules to the limit, but as soon as the line specified in the law is crossed, the system cracks down.

I'm pretty sure the kal if fee crosses more lines than mormon polygamy.

Nice spelling, btw. You should start using wymin, also.

Ziriath

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 245

Report this Feb. 11 2011, 5:05 am

It's quite illogical, that Vulcans still do it this way. They have starships and developed industry and medicine. Why they still haven't invented some anti-pon farr hormones or something like it?

THE WOMEN!!!

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum