Why hasn't Paramount released any other Trek series in complete series box sets like TNG?

Sora

Report this Feb. 05 2011, 4:58 pm

Anyone know? It just seems like Paramount has gotten to where they keep doing things half way. Doing TNG complete series box set, but then not touch the other series.

Then there's releasing all the films and TOS to blu-ray, and then still not touching the other series.

It doesn't make sense to me. I'd kinda like a complete franchise box set, or complete series sets in blu ray, but I want all of them, not just TOS.

267198ed

Report this Feb. 05 2011, 8:35 pm

maybe they are waiting for the anniversary like TNG who knows

Jolan Tru, may your day be filled with peace.

Ghostmojo

Report this Feb. 06 2011, 2:35 am

I plan to get the complete TOS blu-ray box set, which is due out in March I believe. Buying the whole lot is slightly cheaper than buying the three series separately. I'm assuming it is just the three TOS packages bound together - I don't know if there are any more 'extras' than what was already included on blu-ray seasons 1, 2 & 3. Unless they are going to include The Animated Series as well. I don't think there is anything left that hasn't been released from that period?

to boldy go where no man has gone before

tribblenator999

Report this Feb. 06 2011, 8:30 am

why would they need to. Getting you to buy for each season individually is better to them than selling it to you in a box set at a lower price.

"take us out"...

Sora

Report this Feb. 06 2011, 10:40 am

Quote: tribblenator999 @ Feb. 06 2011, 8:30 am

Yeah but most shows come out in individual seasons and then in a complete series set as well.

Live Long and Prosper

Ghostmojo

Report this Feb. 06 2011, 12:09 pm

It looks to be a very nice package. Perhaps they have already made some good money from the three separate seasons? You can buy all the films separately - and you can buy them in groups. And you can buy a number of other selected packages too. It's just the same kind of thing.

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Sora

Report this Feb. 06 2011, 12:20 pm

Fair enough

Live Long and Prosper

Beershark

Report this Feb. 08 2011, 11:21 am

I must live in an alternate universe. Finding all the series on Ebay and Amazon. Complete series sets.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

willowtree

Report this Feb. 08 2011, 12:10 pm

If you see a complete series set that's not TNG, then it's either an Asian bootleg or a bundle of all the individual series. Be careful when buying.

The simple answer for there being no other complete set is becaus Paramount doesn't believe there would currently be any profit in releasing any

TX_TREKKER

Report this Feb. 08 2011, 12:17 pm

I like buying the season sets....it's easier on the wallet. I would have to guess that Paramount probably makes more money selling individual season sets at a lower price as oppose to selling a complete boxed set for 100 dollars?

Sora

Report this Feb. 08 2011, 1:52 pm

Quote: TX_TREKKER @ Feb. 08 2011, 12:17 pm

I don't know if you remember or not, but when Star Trek started coming out in individual season box sets, they WERE 100 dollars for each one whenever they came out. I didn't get TOS and ENT until later on when the prices dropped, for collectively for TNG, DS9, and Voyager, was a $2100 dollar investment for just those 3. I'm likely up to 3,000 after ENT and TOS and TAS and all the films and other various Trek merchandise. Doesn't bother me, I love my Trek.

Live Long and Prosper

AuH2O 64

Report this Feb. 08 2011, 3:12 pm

Star Trek releases got caught in the middle of the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray war. In fact, i think they originally sided with HD-DVD. Once bitten, twice shy perhaps?

In addition, i believe most of the modern television series' were done on video specifically for broadcast quality, as opposed to TOS or the movies which were shot on film. Nearly every special effects shot would have to be "re-imagined" (like the TOS special editions) to look acceptable in high definition.

As far as complete sets... i imagine the original release of every series except TOS and TNG are still out there, sitting on store and warehouse shelves somewhere. And until there's a need for a new pressing, they would probably just lose money by creating new packaging, etc.

"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

OneDamnMinuteAdmiral

Report this Feb. 15 2011, 8:33 pm

I wouldn't mind a complete set for DS9 because the packaging for that series was not good at all.

Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?

Users browsing this forum: DS9_FOREVER!