The Physics of Star Trek

spocks beard

Report this Feb. 03 2011, 5:53 am

Anyone else ever read this book?  I thought it was great, I'm a bit of a at home wanna be physics student who reads lots Hawking, Penrose, Gleick, Wolf and the like. Abody else here dig this stuff?

-This Space for Rent-

konarciq

Report this Feb. 04 2011, 4:04 am

I´ve been looking at it on Amazon, but not being a major physics enthusiast (my level is high school plus a good understanding of basic relativity) I´m a bit doubtful if I´d be able to follow that stuff. Since you´ve obviously read it: how technical does it get?

spocks beard

Report this Feb. 04 2011, 7:03 am

It's written in such a way that it is easily digestible by just about everyone.  And since they take the Trek concepts, warp drive,holodecks, phasers etc.,  that we're all familiar with it makes it much easier to wrap your head around.  I think it's a great quick read for anyone who digs science and Star Trek.

-This Space for Rent-

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Feb. 04 2011, 9:56 am

Ty for the recommendation.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Feb. 04 2011, 9:56 am

I will check it out.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

The Master

Report this Feb. 07 2011, 1:14 pm

I've read first several pages and skipped through the rest of the bulk then got bored. But what I've read is really good entertainment. Maybe someone else isn't as lazy as I am. I prefer when someone tells me about something - to be able to ask questions; not when I just read about it. Well, again as for the book it uses as little equations as possible. Then if you want to know details - you will probably miss something. However it explains physics pretty well. It explains rather good how time travel is possible in general relaitvity and why it's impossible in reality - that is when you combine quantum mechanics and general relativity. Be careful when reading - if you get this kind of information first time and from this book you can delude yourself. Read carefully the whole content. For example it can create an impression that time travel is possible if you stop your reading after phrase Goedel universe. Etc.

You can hide a lot in a large-N matrix

The Master

Report this Feb. 09 2011, 12:52 pm

Oh, I've read 50 pages more. It's actually rather fun. Not boring. So - recommended.

You can hide a lot in a large-N matrix

minispock17

Report this Feb. 09 2011, 9:09 pm

Like spocks beard im a wanna be physicist. I thought this book was great, and really informitive.Trekkies and pysics, like bread and wine. Now I just have to build a transporter...

Live long and prosper. (not very original huh)

Heva Cameron

Report this Feb. 16 2011, 2:49 am

Hey thanks guys - I've just ordered this book. I never even knew it existed until now!

Engage!