Next Captain of the Enterprise

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 2:49 pm

Picard now has a family and is just getting too old to handle the dynamic life of a starship captain.  While Picard is nearing retirement, the 1701-E still has many years left in her.  In the ST09 prequel "Countdown" that takes place when the Hobus star explodes, Picard is the UFP ambassador to Vulcan while Data (resurrected in B-4's body) captains the E.

In the novels, the year is 2382.  Hobus explodes in 2387.  At present, Riker is exploring deep space in the Titan. Sisko has returned and commands a starship.  Worf is first officer of the Enterprise.  Ezri Dax commands her own ship.  Chakotay is in the Delta Quadrant with the Voyager fleet. Data is still dead.

If Picard were to step down, who should become captain and why?  If you recommend a non main character, please describe the kind of person who should be assigned center seat of the Federation flagship.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 2:55 pm

My candidate is Sisko.

For one thing, the flagship has never had a black captain so he is a good franchise choice. The captain should also remain human for reader appeal. Sisko also works because fans know him and he has an established relationship with Worf.
From a fictional world perspective, Sisko has lots of battle and diplomacy experience. If Sisko were given the Enterprise, the story could go that Worf feels offended at not being given command and feels slighted at being put under Sisko again like Starfleet feels he has more to learn, pushing him to return to his people (this could lead to a worf/klingon ship series). Perhaps, then Data could be restored and given the first officer slot to be setup for command.

toranaprem

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 3:02 pm

A pansexual Arab woman should be the next captain of the Enterprise.

"What will they find when I am ripped apart? 'I love you, captain' written on my heart."

Data Logan

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 3:12 pm

Capt Saavik (previously of the USS Alliance)

But we know she's been a trusted Starfleet captain for decades.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 3:25 pm

Well, since Sisko is my favorite, I really like that idea.

But I think it's time for a non-human - maybe someone not even humanoid... How about a Horta.

Dendodge

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 3:27 pm

It's hard to imagine anybody other than Picard in the centre seat (except perhaps Riker, who occupied it a few times over the course of TNG, but he has his own ship with a series behind it and I have no desire to see him pulled away from it for the Enterprise).

Being the first officer, Worf would be the obvious choice as Picard's successor, but I'm not sure I would enjoy reading his command quite so much - I would find it easier to relate to a non-Klingon (human, Trill, Bajoran, but not the "single minded" races invented in TOS, like Klingons, Vulcans, etc.). While interesting to watch, I have trouble relating to him.

Of the suggestions already proffered in this thread, I think Sisko would probably be a good idea. After his service during the Dominion War, and the sacrifices he made for the Federation and Bajor, he deserves some kind of reward - what better than command of the flagship?

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 3:34 pm

Quote: Data Logan @ Jan. 31 2011, 3:12 pm

Capt Saavik (previously of the USS Alliance) We haven't seen her for awhile. She wasn't mentioned in Destiny (assuming she survived) nor (a little surprisingly) in the recent Spock-centered Typhon Pact novel. But we know she's been a trusted Starfleet captain for decades. And, politically, what would it say to the Typhon Pact when Starfleet is willing to put a half-Romulan in the center seat of the flagship? I wonder about the Spock/Saavik relationship. Married, sure, but they hardly ever see each other. I'm always looking for them to support each other more. So I wouldn't mind having Saavik around more in books.

We already had this discussion, so not trying to spam you Data Logan but trying to carry over the conversation.

I don't think the flagship should go to a member of a non federation race which excludes Worf and a half Romulan, especially with Romulans are part of the Typhon Pact. I don't think Federation citizens would approve.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 3:48 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jan. 31 2011, 3:34 pm

>Though it seems a non-human should get the chair from a fictional world perspective, I just don't think this would work well with human fiction readers.
Well, how popular is the New Frontier series?  (Yes, I know that M'k'n'zy of Calhoun is humanoid, but still not human.)

toranaprem

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 4:19 pm

Why would a non-human captain not go over well? Star Trek aliens are all exagerrated types of humans.

The only qualifications that I won't budge on is the need for the next Captain to be female, preferably dark-skinned. Arabs are being particularly maligned in contemporary society, so I think that's a positive place for Star Trek to go. Alien females are fine. Not Saavik though. I love Saavik, but I hate what the books have done to her and I wouldn't want any of that carried over into her captaincy. I also love Sisko but I just don't see him ever wanting to captain the Enterprise. I want more OCs, and for less of the OCs to be your standard ye old white dude in charge. Elias Vaughn I'm looking at you >_>

No Rikers, and no Calhoun please. I don't care if he's not actually a white dude, he might as well be. The Enterprise has had more than her share of white dudes at the helm. April, Pike, Kirk, Picard.

IDIC, please. I'm tired of making excuses for the increasingly white-breadedness of my Star Trek.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 4:35 pm

Demora Sulu was Captain of the Enterprise B after John Harriman.  And Rachel Garrett had the Enterprise C

toranaprem

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 4:41 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jan. 31 2011, 4:35 pm

Demora Sulu was Captain of the Enterprise after John Harriman.

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 4:42 pm

Quote: toranaprem @ Jan. 31 2011, 4:41 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jan. 31 2011, 4:35 pm

Demora Sulu was Captain of the Enterprise after John Harriman.
Ah nice. I have this really bad habit of ignoring GEN era stuff. Still need another woman though. Mostly you just reminded me to put Harriman on the white dudes as captain of the Enterprise list. We simply need more women in Trek period. Until we get to 50/50 and fanboys are as used to identifying with female captains as fangirls are to identifying with male ones.
And Rachel Garrett had the Enterprise C

toranaprem

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 4:48 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jan. 31 2011, 4:42 pm

Quote: toranaprem @ Jan. 31 2011, 4:41 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jan. 31 2011, 4:35 pm

>Demora Sulu was Captain of the Enterprise after John Harriman.
And Rachel Garrett had the Enterprise C

Cool. Still needs to be a woman though. Star Trek has a lot of work to do to make its utopian ideals a reality, is all I'm saying. It always has.

It's not enough to say Demora Sulu and Garrett got some minimal time as Enterprise captains. I don't want tokens, I want some female Enterprise captains who get as much character development as Kirk, Picard, and even Pike did.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 5:04 pm

Quote: FleetAdmiral_BamBam @ Jan. 31 2011, 3:48 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jan. 31 2011, 3:34 pm

-_- . . . okay, you got me. I suppose it would work in the books. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong.  However, for screen material, I do think the audience will respond better if the captain at least LOOKS human.

BrotherofShran01

Report this Jan. 31 2011, 5:39 pm

If Sisko doesn't command the enterprise e, then it is time for Nog to take command. Nog is an experiance, battle tested officer who benefitted from Captain Sisko, Chief O'Brien, Commander Worf, and other starfleet officers along the way. He was made Lt. junior grade back then, so if Nog continue to get good missions and postings, I could see him being fast tracked to being Captain.

Nog took part in the Second Battle of Chin'toka as a member of the Defiant crew, (DS9: "The Changing Face of Evil") and when the Dominion War ended in 2375, Nog was promoted to lieutenant junior grade in one of Benjamin Sisko's last official acts as the commanding officer of DS9. (DS9: "What You Leave Behind")

I always party at Starbase 63!

Starbase