IT'S A FAAAAAAAAKE!!!

Vger23

Report this Jan. 29 2011, 1:20 pm

I am moving along swiftly watchng S6 for the first time. I just watched "By the Pale Moonlight," which I thought was fantastic.

I've read that most fans consider this to be the best DS9 episode. I think it's great because it completely abandons the "we always do the right thing in Star Fleet" mentality and shows the shades of gray that exist in war. This was, of course, DS9's calling card anyway...but BTPML really showcased it.

I STILL actually think that "The Visitor" is the best episode of the series, though.

Thoughts?

Captain Derk

Report this Jan. 29 2011, 1:34 pm

I completly disagree in my opinion "By the Pale Moonlight" was the best DS9 because of its new approach to the way starfleet is veiwed. It brings a new respect from me because it showed a new style star trek.

I Am Captain Patterson Of The Federation Starship U.S.S Winter.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Jan. 29 2011, 3:47 pm

"In the Pale Moonlight" was great! My fav DS9 ep... "The Visitor" was fantastic too... in fact thats my 2nd fav ep.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 29 2011, 5:47 pm

I personally don't like seeing the federation becoming like our world with the political maneuvering and dark side of the good society. Though it makes sense the federation would face war, trek gives us hope of humanity in a peaceful galactic society where we are growing and driven to better ourselves. I hate seeing that we are just as willing to lie and cheat in this society. It is why I hate president bacco in the books.

That said, it was a phenomenal episode. Garak really shined. I loved how the romulan shuttle docked cloaked to hide the visit. Visitor was good but I think the real tragedy was jake couldn't get on with his life and sacrificed his marriage and happiness because of being obsessed with his dad.

Vger23

Report this Jan. 29 2011, 9:37 pm

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jan. 29 2011, 5:47 pm

Unfortunately, while this is a nice sunshiny philosophy...it made for really wooden and cardboard drama. That's why with every episode I watch, I become more and more convinced that DS9 is a superior series in almost every way to TNG. I NEVER would have believed it possible, but TNG was too self-obsessed with the Roddenberry "vision."

You can show a positive portrayal of the future without whitewashing humainity and making us out to be flawless automotons. DS9 and TOS did that masterfully.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

FleetAdmiral_BamBam

Report this Jan. 30 2011, 6:31 am

If you liked "By the Pale Moonlight", I highly suggest you read "Hollow Men" - it's a follow-on story that is excellent.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 30 2011, 6:52 am

I agree we need characters with flaws, but that doesn't mean you need a society with deep flaws. But that was part of the beauty of this episode, Sisko was willing to sacrifice his conscience for the conscience of the federation. What he did was unknown to his superiors and he lost part of himself for doing it. To me, that made him a better leader than Picard when Picard was unwilling to sacrifice Hugh, the borg, and his conscience for the good of the federation. In that instance, you could respect Picard for planting the virus in the borg, but not so much the federation if they had done it.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 30 2011, 6:53 am

And the title of this thread was a great quote. You couldn't help but laugh when the senator said that.

Vger23

Report this Jan. 30 2011, 8:27 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jan. 30 2011, 6:53 am

If you think that's funny...you should seriously check these out:

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

2takesfrakes

Report this Jan. 30 2011, 9:35 am

"I STILL actually think that "The Visitor" is the best episode of the series
... Thoughts?" -- Vger23

DENIED!!! They simply took a standardized CHICK FLICK
formula and applied it to a Father/son relationship.
Now, before you get that look on your face, here's how
THAT works ... Joey and Mary are seperated by situation
or circumstance (possibly even death). All designed to
prove to the FEMALE mind that Love is Real & Ever-Lasting.

Joey: Mary, I remember our INCREDIBLE LOVE(tm).

Mary: I've been blackmailed into marrying an Oil Tycoon
- whom I despise - to keep my mother out of prison.
You must forget about ME and live for yourself now, Joey!

Joey: I'll honor your request, to vindicate your sacrifice.
In the meantime, I will keep our love alive - always & FOREVER!

Ever after, Joey's reminded of her. Finally, the Tycoon expires,
and the elderly Joey and Mary are reunited ... bringing tears to
wymin's eyes. To see this rediculous device used just to show
"how much" Jake loves his dad was truly cringe-worthy.

Stick to Ben and Jake playing baseball in the holodeck. Seriously ...

zapp77

Report this Jan. 30 2011, 12:26 pm

I really like this episode too, it's kind of like how Archer acted in the expanse. Sometimes you have to throw human morals out the window in order to save you and your own. Since this was before Enterprise, it's really the first time you get to see anything like that on Star Trek. It was kind of refreshing.

Oh Snap.

Caesar753

Report this Jan. 30 2011, 4:45 pm

One of my favorite trek episodes of all time!

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 30 2011, 5:23 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Jan. 30 2011, 8:27 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jan. 30 2011, 6:53 am

If you think that's funny...you should seriously check these out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwbPRCRkMy0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHgbbM9pu4&feature=related

The firat one was LOLerstarships. I want to launch whoever made the second one out of a torpedo tube. "It's a Jake!"

wissa

Report this Jan. 30 2011, 5:59 pm

It was one of my favourites again. You'll see a pattern or questioning who was the good guys and who the bad all through ds9. Especially with the Bjoran resistance and the Cardassians.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Fflanders

Report this Jan. 30 2011, 7:42 pm

It's a brilliant episode. Sisko is so much more of a captain than we ever saw in TNG. I love that scene where he confronts Garak. "You knew that I could do those things that you were incapable of doing."

"We have them just where they want us."

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam