ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Why do some people hate Star Trek?

megan512

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1324

Report this Feb. 03 2011, 7:24 pm

Quote: spocks beard @ Feb. 03 2011, 3:58 am

Lets face it Trek sometimes gets a bad rap when non fans who know next to nothing about the show see some shall we say overzealous fans or a TV piece that is angled to make ST and the fans look like nerds and that is the perception that the public at large takes away from it.  I say who cares, we get it and that's all that matters, the Superbowl is coming up and there are just as many if not more drunken meat-head football fans who will make total asses of themselves.  Let your nerd flag fly!

I don't know how people can watch football. It's just so long. And if you're like me and don't understand pretty much any sport, it's also really boring. xD

"Captain, life is not a dream." - Spock "Can you please continue the petty bickering? I find it quite intriguing." - Data

Oak tree

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1

Report this Feb. 04 2011, 3:04 pm

I think some people don´t like star treck becuase they don´t believe the universe could be like it´s shown, with all of it´s new idee´s. has a child my mother used to laugh about doors that opend automatically, or that communicators were used. funny there normal now, and useful.

wissa

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4026

Report this Feb. 04 2011, 6:40 pm

why do people hate anything? some people hate Oprah and the Simpsons too. There is nothing that will appeal to everyone.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

JOYOFVGR

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 11594

Report this Feb. 04 2011, 6:59 pm

I can remember thinking it was stupid as a kid before my cousin forced me to watch it. The commercials made it seem too scientific and boring. Spock had that dry monotone voice and it was a real turn off. It wasn't until I watched a few episodes and became familiar with the characters that I really appreciated it.

I like everybody, even the people I don't like. They make things interesting. ;) Trying to get into the Nexus? Use this link: http://s13.zetaboards.com/NexusTrek/index/

Ghostmojo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1826

Report this Feb. 05 2011, 3:18 am

There is also the obvious point that some people like only certain versions of Star Trek. This is entirely reasonable. We all know on these boards, that it is a fallacy to suggest that we are all united in our total love of everything Trek. We are not. Some folks here like everything but I guess they are a minority. My own view is not meant to be disrespectful of people who like the shows I don't - but perhaps you have to accept some people out there who hate Trek really mean they hate the rubbish that followed the original series. I have some sympathy with that view. I think hate would be too strong a word, but I think some things that pass as Trek aren't worthy of it and therefore I care little for them, whereas I love some of the better stuff - specifically TOS and TNG.


Basically, what I mean is it is wrong to assume that people who hate Star Trek don't get it - or are too shallow to be bothered with this sci-fi franchise. Perhaps they are quite the opposite. I would wager many of them probably remember the original series with affection, but think that everything else that followed has just been base cashing in on a once good idea ...


to boldy go where no man has gone before

JOYOFVGR

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 11594

Report this Feb. 05 2011, 5:12 am

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Feb. 05 2011, 3:18 am

>Basically, what I mean is it is wrong to assume that people who hate Star Trek don't get it - or are too shallow to be bothered with this sci-fi franchise. Perhaps they are quite the opposite. I would wager many of them probably remember the original series with affection, but think that everything else that followed has just been base cashing in on a once good idea ...
I don't know about that. I once had a debate with someone who hated Star Trek. I was trying to get him to just watch a couple of episodes and he refused to because he hated science fiction. I told him to just give it a chance because many of the stories speak to the general nature of humanity and some of the issues we face. He thought that was I was being rediculous and couldn't comprehend how a sci fi show would be able to do that.


I like everybody, even the people I don't like. They make things interesting. ;) Trying to get into the Nexus? Use this link: http://s13.zetaboards.com/NexusTrek/index/

KelisThePoet

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 636

Report this Feb. 05 2011, 1:32 pm

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Feb. 05 2011, 3:18 am

There is also the obvious point that some people like only certain versions of Star Trek. This is entirely reasonable. We all know on these boards, that it is a fallacy to suggest that we are all united in our total love of everything Trek. We are not. Some folks here like everything but I guess they are a minority. My own view is not meant to be disrespectful of people who like the shows I don't - but perhaps you have to accept some people out there who hate Trek really mean they hate the rubbish that followed the original series. I have some sympathy with that view. I think hate would be too strong a word, but I think some things that pass as Trek aren't worthy of it and therefore I care little for them, whereas I love some of the better stuff - specifically TOS and TNG.

Basically, what I mean is it is wrong to assume that people who hate Star Trek don't get it - or are too shallow to be bothered with this sci-fi franchise. Perhaps they are quite the opposite. I would wager many of them probably remember the original series with affection, but think that everything else that followed has just been base cashing in on a once good idea ...



There are also people who only like the later Trek or only like one iteration of the later Trek and call TOS garbage because they can't relate to its older style. I strongly disagree with those people, just as I strongly disagree with your characterization of newer Trek as "rubbish." Well, what can I say? As many have pointed out in responses to this topic, everyone has opinions. Everyone has their own particular likes and dislikes, and that's fine. But I've met plenty of people who judge Star Trek without ever having seen any of it, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has met people like that. That's what I find sad.

Falor was a prosperous merchant who went on a journey to gain greater awareness: Through storms he crossed the Voroth Sea/ To reach the clouded shores of Raal/ Where old T’Para offered truth./ He traveled through the windswept hills/ And crossed the barren Fire Plains/ To find the silent monks of Kir./ Still unfulfilled, he journeyed home/ Told stories of the lessons learned/ And gained true wisdom by the giving. – Falor’s Journey, “Innocence”

Ghostmojo

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1826

Report this Feb. 06 2011, 2:27 am

Quote: KelisThePoet @ Feb. 05 2011, 1:32 pm

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Feb. 05 2011, 3:18 am

>

>There is also the obvious point that some people like only certain versions of Star Trek. This is entirely reasonable. We all know on these boards, that it is a fallacy to suggest that we are all united in our total love of everything Trek. We are not. Some folks here like everything but I guess they are a minority. My own view is not meant to be disrespectful of people who like the shows I don't - but perhaps you have to accept some people out there who hate Trek really mean they hate the rubbish that followed the original series. I have some sympathy with that view. I think hate would be too strong a word, but I think some things that pass as Trek aren't worthy of it and therefore I care little for them, whereas I love some of the better stuff - specifically TOS and TNG.

>Basically, what I mean is it is wrong to assume that people who hate Star Trek don't get it - or are too shallow to be bothered with this sci-fi franchise. Perhaps they are quite the opposite. I would wager many of them probably remember the original series with affection, but think that everything else that followed has just been base cashing in on a once good idea ...

>
There are also people who only like the later Trek or only like one iteration of the later Trek and call TOS garbage because they can't relate to its older style. I strongly disagree with those people, just as I strongly disagree with your characterization of newer Trek as "rubbish." Well, what can I say? As many have pointed out in responses to this topic, everyone has opinions. Everyone has their own particular likes and dislikes, and that's fine. But I've met plenty of people who judge Star Trek without ever having seen any of it, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has met people like that. That's what I find sad.
Indeed. Infinite diversity in infinite combinations ...


to boldy go where no man has gone before

janewayjunkie74656

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 3227

Report this Feb. 14 2011, 5:52 pm

Quote: Sora @ Jan. 27 2011, 8:41 pm

I don't know why people hate Star Trek. I've only been able to get one very close friend into Star Trek. He's watching Enterprise right now and really liking it. But aside from him, nobody I know likes it, or has bothered really watching it, or is interested in giving it a chance. I've heard alot of people say it's nerdy, and alot of people think it's boring. I don't know why because I love Star Trek and I think it's great. I just view it as people simply don't know what they're missing. But honestly, I think people choose to hate Star Trek because it's the "cool" thing to do, and they're afraid of being made fun of for liking it. When I was teenager, I was RIDICULED for being a Star Trek fan. I didn't do anything unusual. I didn't go wear uniforms in public or quote rules of acquisition to people, or do anything strange regarding Star Trek. I just simply loved the show, and was made fun of for it. You're considered cool if you like Star Wars and you're a nerd/geek/dork if you like Star Trek. I just try to view it like this, like what you like, don't like what you don't like. But don't ruin it for the rest of us.


I TOTALLY agree with you! (Although I can get a little carried away at times...heehee....) But I have always been proud to be a Trekkie no matter how nerdy people think I am.

Join Moon Crater Plaza! A great new board looking for lots of new members! http://s4.zetaboards.com/Moon_Crater_Plaza/index/

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum