Why do some people hate Star Trek?

Trau

Report this Jan. 27 2011, 1:12 pm

An old question with an old answer my friend. When i was in school i used to comment about Doctor Who and would always here "That is so F_______ STUPID! I HATE THAT SHOW!" after a while i got tired of it and made them answer "Why is it so stupid?" and every single time i would get a stupid stare and no answer, they couldn't answer me because they were discriminating without having examined it closely.

For a lot of people it is easier to hate something without knowing what you are supposed to hate.

"Savour the fruit of life my young friends, it has a sweet taste when it is fresh from the vine, but don't live too long - the taste becomes bitter after a time " DaHar master Kor 'Star Trek Deep Space Nine : Once More Onto The Breach'

Vger23

Report this Jan. 27 2011, 2:17 pm

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Camorite

Report this Jan. 27 2011, 3:33 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

I remember when i was in grade 7 everybody was against Star Trek at my school.even today i find people who think it is completely stupid. Why?

it's just an old stereotype that everyone has. the truth is that trek fans are no different from any other sci-fi fan. the truth is that if they gave you a hard time they were fan themselves that were afraid of being ridiculed themselves.

"What i Hate more then anything else is someone that thinks that they know everything. That must mean that I really hate myself", "Freedom is the right of all setient beings!" (Optimus Prime: Transformers), "That's on small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!" Neil Armstrong 8-5-30 to 8-25-12

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 27 2011, 3:59 pm

Well that applies to so many things doesn't it and also in reverse - for example why do people like Country & Western music?

Beats me ... yee hah!

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Roboto

Report this Jan. 27 2011, 8:39 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Jan. 27 2011, 2:17 pm

Honestly, a lot of people aren't going to like this answer...but I really believe it's true: I think people are turned off of Star Trek becuase of the way the fanbase behaves / is percieved.

I am inclined to agree.

Do *I* look like a freak????

Sora

Report this Jan. 27 2011, 8:41 pm

I don't know why people hate Star Trek. I've only been able to get one very close friend into Star Trek. He's watching Enterprise right now and really liking it. But aside from him, nobody I know likes it, or has bothered really watching it, or is interested in giving it a chance. I've heard alot of people say it's nerdy, and alot of people think it's boring. I don't know why because I love Star Trek and I think it's great.

I just view it as people simply don't know what they're missing. But honestly, I think people choose to hate Star Trek because it's the "cool" thing to do, and they're afraid of being made fun of for liking it.

When I was teenager, I was RIDICULED for being a Star Trek fan. I didn't do anything unusual. I didn't go wear uniforms in public or quote rules of acquisition to people, or do anything strange regarding Star Trek. I just simply loved the show, and was made fun of for it.

You're considered cool if you like Star Wars and you're a nerd/geek/dork if you like Star Trek.

I just try to view it like this, like what you like, don't like what you don't like. But don't ruin it for the rest of us.

Live Long and Prosper

KLINGONDOG

Report this Jan. 27 2011, 8:48 pm

bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'.

Roboto

Report this Jan. 27 2011, 8:50 pm

Quote: KLINGONDOG @ Jan. 27 2011, 8:48 pm

>So what is the difference between hardcoe sports fans and trekkies. They both play dress up, chase after autographs, collect and trade. And would never miss a game or show.

Amen! And honestly, I consider myself to be a more "sensible", "normal" Star Trek fan than many of my sports fans friends are.

Oh, but then we forget- sports are *real*, Star Trek is *not*. Huh!

Sora

Report this Jan. 27 2011, 8:53 pm

Live Long and Prosper

KLINGONDOG

Report this Jan. 27 2011, 8:56 pm

Quote: Sora @ Jan. 27 2011, 8:53 pm

Very true, very very true.

bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'.

warpfactor9999

Report this Jan. 27 2011, 9:21 pm

I guess some people are so ignorant to the fact that this is eventually where we are going that they just dont see it in the long run of things-OR they just dont like science fiction.

MAKE IT SO!

Vger23

Report this Jan. 28 2011, 7:04 am

Quote: Roboto @ Jan. 27 2011, 8:39 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Jan. 27 2011, 2:17 pm

I am inclined to agree. So far in my personal experience, every single person who has told me "I hate/dislike Star Trek" has also admitted that he/she had never really watched any of the shows or movies. "Why do you dislike it, then?" I always ask. I can never get a straight answer. I think it is because of how Trekkies are stereotyped as freaks and weirdos. While I know that there ARE freaks and weirdos, not every single person who likes Star Trek can be categorized under either term! Do *I* look like a freak???? That is a great fault of human nature. Most people will judge before they ever actually listen/watch/analyze what it is they claim to hate. So it goes for religion, politics, cultures... and Star Trek.

Hard to disagree.

I'm not so sure it's about "looking like a freak," though. I think it's about the negative perception that Star Trek fans are:

1. nit-picky
2. exclusive (this is a "members only" club, and if you don't know the combination to the weapons locker on Deck 8 aboard the USS Voyager, you're an idiot)
3. out of touch with reality

...that turns people off.

I had a VERY fortunate experience when I was in school, becuase I had the very odd distinction of being a "jock" who liked Star Trek...and what's more, there were other "jocks" who did too, so we were all open about it and nobody ever gave us a hard time.

BUT, I think it was more about the fact that we presented ourselves as well-balanced and open minded about Star Trek, rather than being overly-obsessed (even though we were), nitpicky, or rigid.

It's that hyper-dedication and closed-minded rigidity that turns people off. Most people don't want to be associated with that. They just want to be entertained and have fun. I KNOW that it's true becuase everyone I've ever introduced Star Trek to has enjoyed it becuase it is GREAT entertainment...but it's breaking those barriers down to get someone to TRY that is the difficult part.

Thoughts?

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Vger23

Report this Jan. 28 2011, 7:11 am

Quote: KLINGONDOG @ Jan. 27 2011, 8:56 pm

Quote: Sora @ Jan. 27 2011, 8:53 pm

>Yeah but Star Trek is far more intelligent than any sport ever will be. The only difference is sports is obviously more mainstream than Star Trek. But go figure something that's mainstream is less intelligent and intuitive than something that's not mainstream.
Very true, very very true.

I 100% wholeheartedly disagree with this on every single level possible.

What's more, I would point this kind of statement out as the EXACT reason why people are turned off by Star Trek fans. It's this subtle "elitist arrogance" that Star Trek is some kind of intellectual / philosophical pursuit that is somehow SUPERIOR to other pursuits that makes people say "to hell with it." Star Trek is a TV show, folks. It has moments of brillinace, and in it's hayday...it had some interesting concepts and things to say. But, to say it's "more intelligent" is EXACTLY the kind of thing that non-fans HATE about us.

And, for the record, as a guy who was and IS heavily involved in sports (I coach HS football, and I was a Strong Safety at the small college level) I can tell you that there is NOTHING further from the truth that sports are not "intelligent." The amount of strategic thinking, mental preparation, high level statistical analysis and game / contingency planning that go into organizing, coaching, and executing a modern athletic competition would stagger most of you. Your implied thought that "sports are not as intelligent as Star Trek" is just another stereotype, I'm afraid. I find my coaching and athletic responsibilities to be more challenging than my white-collar professional work, and I'm a Strategic HR Business Partner for a large international engineering firm.

Chew on that for a while

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

tribblenator999

Report this Jan. 28 2011, 8:53 am

they never saw it and are a fan of some other sci-fi?

"take us out"...

KelisThePoet

Report this Jan. 28 2011, 12:13 pm

I think it's interesting that some people who have responded in this thread think that Star Wars and sports are kinds of entertainment that are more accepted and less mocked than is Star Trek. They're probably right, but it's also a fact that when I was in High School I was much more interested in Star Wars than Star Trek (I'd say my interests have shifted now), and I was always made fun of for my love of Star Wars. And I've always been made fun of for being an obsessive Minnesota Vikings fan. Undoubtedly, that's partially because I didn't hitch my star to a winning team, but people also give me funny looks for the amount of time, interest and money I am willing to put into supporting and enjoying my team.

Again, I'm not saying that it's as hard to find Star Wars fans or sports fans as it is to find Star Trek fans. But those people who aren't interested in something, much less devoted to it, always seem to look down on those who are interested, as well as the thing that interests them. I know nothing about The Lord of the Rings, and I'm not interested in learning more, because fantasy just isn't one of my favorite genres. I try not to look down on The Lord of the Rings or its fans in a mean-spirited way, but I do get the impression that it is not for me and that it is only for people intensely interested, so in that sense, I look down on it.

What I wish people would realize about Star Trek is that you don't have to be a devoted fan to enjoy it, any more than you have to be a devoted fan of a particular team to enjoy an NFL game. I tend to delve deeply into anything I like, and I don't apologize for being the kind of Trekkie some would consider a freak--the kind who owns Star Trek apparel, reads the Klingon Hamlet and likes to argue about small details in individual episodes. It's my time, and I'll spend it how I like, but you don't have to be like me to enjoy the show.

Falor was a prosperous merchant who went on a journey to gain greater awareness: Through storms he crossed the Voroth Sea/ To reach the clouded shores of Raal/ Where old T’Para offered truth./ He traveled through the windswept hills/ And crossed the barren Fire Plains/ To find the silent monks of Kir./ Still unfulfilled, he journeyed home/ Told stories of the lessons learned/ And gained true wisdom by the giving. – Falor’s Journey, “Innocence”

Users browsing this forum: crimsyn