ATTENTION: The Boards will be closed permanently on May 28th, 2014. Posting will be disabled on April 28th, 2014. More Info

Which Star Trek Series do you feel has the strongest First Season?

Report this
Created by: Sora

Sora

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2606

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 1:59 pm

I'm going with Enterprise Season 1. I think Enterprise and TOS had the stronger 1st seasons, but Season 1 of Enterprise is the strongest I feel. It had alot of great episodes and gave a great beginning to Star Trek.

TheAmazingFerengi

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 717

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 2:11 pm

I chose Enterprise as well. Enterprise started out strong and ended strong in my opinion. It was a very good show. Voyager is my favorite series, but I felt that the first season got too caught up in spacial anomalies and things of that nature leading it to be somewhat repetitive. Next Gen had a decent first season, but some of the stories are kind of cheesy. DS9 had a very slow start and took really until the end of season 2 to pick up (not saying there weren't great episodes in the first two seasons)and then got going. As for TOS, sadly, I have not seen all the episodes so I can't really comment on the first season. I have seen every episode of TNG, ENT, VOY, and DS9, though.


In space, no one can hear you scream...

Sora

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2606

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 2:14 pm

Quote: TheAmazingFerengi @ Jan. 25 2011, 2:11 pm

I chose Enterprise as well. Enterprise started out strong and ended strong in my opinion. It was a very good show. Voyager is my favorite series, but I felt that the first season got too caught up in spacial anomalies and things of that nature leading it to be somewhat repetitive. Next Gen had a decent first season, but some of the stories are kind of cheesy. DS9 had a very slow start and took really until the end of season 2 to pick up (not saying there weren't great episodes in the first two seasons)and then got going. As for TOS, sadly, I have not seen all the episodes so I can't really comment on the first season. I have seen every episode of TNG, ENT, VOY, and DS9, though.



Yeah I love all of Star Trek, but for the most part, first seasons, were never Star Trek's strong points. And I love Voyager, but I feel that Season 1 and Season 3, are the weakest seasons in all of Voyager. Season 5,6 and 7 are my favorites for Voyager.

Live Long and Prosper

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 2:27 pm

I hate to sound like a broken record, but TOS season 1 is pretty much unchallengable, in my humble opinion.

Where No Man Has Gone Before
The Enemy Within
The Corbomite Manuver
The Meanagarie 1 and 2
Balance of Terror
Arena
Shore Leave
Space Seed
Devil in the Dark
City on the Edge of Forever

There's way too many classics there for it to not almost universally be accepted as the best Trek season ever. Also, there were hardly any clunkers in between those classics.

TNG's 1st season was decent (better than the 2nd season), but still pretty weak.
DS9's 1st season was really bad, and I love DS9. It was just so slow getting going
VOY had a great pilot, but nothing else about the 1st season interested me
ENT same as VOY's 1st year.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Sora

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2606

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 2:34 pm

I can understand you not liking Season 1 and TNG and DS9, and even Voyager, but Season 1 of Enterprise had some great episodes, but that's not to say that Season 1 of TOS doesn't as well. ENT and TOS are easily the best Season 1 shows.

Live Long and Prosper

toranaprem

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 621

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 2:43 pm

TOS, definitely. However, I genuinely don't understand why people think the first season of DS9 was not one of its best. "Emissary", "Captive Pursuit", "Progress", "Dramatis Personae", "Duet", and "In the Hands of the Prophets" are all incredible episodes.


In fact, I think "Duet" is arguably in the top five Star Trek episodes ever made.


But then again, I'm one of the fans who actually preferred the more cerebral tone (and slower theme song) of the first three seasons. I resented the addition of Worf at first (wasn't O'Brien and all the TNG cameos enough?)...I got over it of course, and I deeply love Worf, but I do sometimes wonder where the show could have gone if there wasn't the desperate rush to appeal to the TNG fan base who wasn't watching.


"What will they find when I am ripped apart? 'I love you, captain' written on my heart."

wissa

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 4022

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 3:29 pm

I voted Ent but tos first season was great as well. The other series really were lucky to have aired in an age where a new show was given a bit of time to grow and when jsut the star trek name was enough to draw in enough viewers. In today's cutthroat tv culture I don't think any of them would survive a single season.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

Dendodge

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 945

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 3:47 pm

TOS. The rest started out slow, and didn't "grow the beard" until later.

TNG hit its stride around season three,
DS9 was good from season 2 (1 wasn't bad, just less good), but got better as it went along and hit its stride in season 4.
VOY was slow at first, but took off in its second season.
ENT got really good at the start of season 4 (though it was good before that, despite what other people like to say).

TOS, with its stand-alone episodic format and simple plots (compared to later series, where pots were heavily intertwined), was entertaining from the start, despite being slightly less entertaining than the spin-offs overall, in my opinion.

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 4:02 pm

Quote: Sora @ Jan. 25 2011, 2:34 pm

I can understand you not liking Season 1 and TNG and DS9, and even Voyager, but Season 1 of Enterprise had some great episodes, but that's not to say that Season 1 of TOS doesn't as well. ENT and TOS are easily the best Season 1 shows.


I was turned off of ENT because I found the characters completely uninteresting and the format to be too drivitive of what came before. There were some entertaining stories, and I thought "Broken Bow" was a great pilot episode...but it just didn't grab my attention sufficiently for me to rank it in the top "first seasons." Not by a long shot.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 4:05 pm

Quote: toranaprem @ Jan. 25 2011, 2:43 pm

TOS, definitely. However, I genuinely don't understand why people think the first season of DS9 was not one of its best. "Emissary", "Captive Pursuit", "Progress", "Dramatis Personae", "Duet", and "In the Hands of the Prophets" are all incredible episodes.

In fact, I think "Duet" is arguably in the top five Star Trek episodes ever made.

But then again, I'm one of the fans who actually preferred the more cerebral tone (and slower theme song) of the first three seasons. I resented the addition of Worf at first (wasn't O'Brien and all the TNG cameos enough?)...I got over it of course, and I deeply love Worf, but I do sometimes wonder where the show could have gone if there wasn't the desperate rush to appeal to the TNG fan base who wasn't watching.



To your point, there were some EXCELLENT season 1 DS9 episodes. Most of the ones you've named I completely agree with. However, 3 or 4 excellent episodes does not make an entire season "great," and for every one "good S1 episode" of DS9, there was one mediocre episode and one dreadful episode.

While I find DS9 to be , in many ways, the best Star Trek spin-off to date...the first season was not one of my tops.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

toranaprem

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 621

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 4:18 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Jan. 25 2011, 4:05 pm

Quote: toranaprem @ Jan. 25 2011, 2:43 pm

TOS, definitely. However, I genuinely don't understand why people think the first season of DS9 was not one of its best. "Emissary", "Captive Pursuit", "Progress", "Dramatis Personae", "Duet", and "In the Hands of the Prophets" are all incredible episodes.

In fact, I think "Duet" is arguably in the top five Star Trek episodes ever made.

But then again, I'm one of the fans who actually preferred the more cerebral tone (and slower theme song) of the first three seasons. I resented the addition of Worf at first (wasn't O'Brien and all the TNG cameos enough?)...I got over it of course, and I deeply love Worf, but I do sometimes wonder where the show could have gone if there wasn't the desperate rush to appeal to the TNG fan base who wasn't watching.

To your point, there were some EXCELLENT season 1 DS9 episodes. Most of the ones you've named I completely agree with. However, 3 or 4 excellent episodes does not make an entire season "great," and for every one "good S1 episode" of DS9, there was one mediocre episode and one dreadful episode. While I find DS9 to be , in many ways, the best Star Trek spin-off to date...the first season was not one of my tops.


Huh. I don't really find any DS9 episodes to be "dreadful". I mean, there have been some absolutely appalling episodes in TOS, TNG, VOY, and ENT. But I don't think DS9 ever scraped the bottom of the barrel the way the other Star Trek's sometimes managed too. Even if the episodes weren't great, I'm hard pressed to think of any so bad that I actually loathe them. I don't even think "Profit and Lace" and "Let He Who Is Without Sin" are dreadful in the way say "Turnabout Intruder" or "The Omega Glory" is.

"What will they find when I am ripped apart? 'I love you, captain' written on my heart."

Vger23

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 6799

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 4:22 pm

Quote: toranaprem @ Jan. 25 2011, 4:18 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Jan. 25 2011, 4:05 pm

Quote: toranaprem @ Jan. 25 2011, 2:43 pm

TOS, definitely. However, I genuinely don't understand why people think the first season of DS9 was not one of its best. "Emissary", "Captive Pursuit", "Progress", "Dramatis Personae", "Duet", and "In the Hands of the Prophets" are all incredible episodes.

In fact, I think "Duet" is arguably in the top five Star Trek episodes ever made.

But then again, I'm one of the fans who actually preferred the more cerebral tone (and slower theme song) of the first three seasons. I resented the addition of Worf at first (wasn't O'Brien and all the TNG cameos enough?)...I got over it of course, and I deeply love Worf, but I do sometimes wonder where the show could have gone if there wasn't the desperate rush to appeal to the TNG fan base who wasn't watching.

To your point, there were some EXCELLENT season 1 DS9 episodes. Most of the ones you've named I completely agree with. However, 3 or 4 excellent episodes does not make an entire season "great," and for every one "good S1 episode" of DS9, there was one mediocre episode and one dreadful episode. While I find DS9 to be , in many ways, the best Star Trek spin-off to date...the first season was not one of my tops.
Huh. I don't really find any DS9 episodes to be "dreadful". I mean, there have been some absolutely appalling episodes in TOS, TNG, VOY, and ENT. But I don't think DS9 ever scraped the bottom of the barrel the way the other Star Trek's sometimes managed too. Even if the episodes weren't great, I'm hard pressed to think of any so bad that I actually loathe them. I don't even think "Profit and Lace" and "Let He Who Is Without Sin" are dreadful in the way say "Turnabout Intruder" or "The Omega Glory" is.


"If Wishes Were Horses"
"Move Along Home"
"Babel"
"Past Prologue"
...all come to mind!

Haha! By the way...I liked "Omega Glory"

Don't get me wrong. A "dreadful" DS9 episode is better than most TV show's best.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

toranaprem

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 621

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 4:25 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Jan. 25 2011, 4:22 pm

Quote: toranaprem @ Jan. 25 2011, 4:18 pm

Quote: Vger23 @ Jan. 25 2011, 4:05 pm

Quote: toranaprem @ Jan. 25 2011, 2:43 pm

TOS, definitely. However, I genuinely don't understand why people think the first season of DS9 was not one of its best. "Emissary", "Captive Pursuit", "Progress", "Dramatis Personae", "Duet", and "In the Hands of the Prophets" are all incredible episodes.

In fact, I think "Duet" is arguably in the top five Star Trek episodes ever made.

But then again, I'm one of the fans who actually preferred the more cerebral tone (and slower theme song) of the first three seasons. I resented the addition of Worf at first (wasn't O'Brien and all the TNG cameos enough?)...I got over it of course, and I deeply love Worf, but I do sometimes wonder where the show could have gone if there wasn't the desperate rush to appeal to the TNG fan base who wasn't watching.

To your point, there were some EXCELLENT season 1 DS9 episodes. Most of the ones you've named I completely agree with. However, 3 or 4 excellent episodes does not make an entire season "great," and for every one "good S1 episode" of DS9, there was one mediocre episode and one dreadful episode. While I find DS9 to be , in many ways, the best Star Trek spin-off to date...the first season was not one of my tops.
Huh. I don't really find any DS9 episodes to be "dreadful". I mean, there have been some absolutely appalling episodes in TOS, TNG, VOY, and ENT. But I don't think DS9 ever scraped the bottom of the barrel the way the other Star Trek's sometimes managed too. Even if the episodes weren't great, I'm hard pressed to think of any so bad that I actually loathe them. I don't even think "Profit and Lace" and "Let He Who Is Without Sin" are dreadful in the way say "Turnabout Intruder" or "The Omega Glory" is.
"If Wishes Were Horses" "Move Along Home" "Babel" "Past Prologue" ...all come to mind! Haha! By the way...I liked "Omega Glory" Don't get me wrong. A "dreadful" DS9 episode is better than most TV show's best.


LOL. I ADORE all those DS9 episodes you just mentioned. I really, really liked the first season though. Opinions clearly doth differ...

"What will they find when I am ripped apart? 'I love you, captain' written on my heart."

iBorg13

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 1944

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 4:43 pm

I thoroughlly enjoyed both TOS and ENT's first seasons. The others were fine, but theirs were the best. TOS's season 1 holds the record for the most eps in a season --- 29! And TOSs1 had some truely fantastic eps in it! But ENT was brilliant as well, a very enjoyable season that was. I have to go with ENT

Sora

GROUP: Members

POSTS: 2606

Report this Jan. 25 2011, 5:43 pm

Quote: iBorg13 @ Jan. 25 2011, 4:43 pm

I thoroughlly enjoyed both TOS and ENT's first seasons. The others were fine, but theirs were the best. TOS's season 1 holds the record for the most eps in a season --- 29! And TOSs1 had some truely fantastic eps in it! But ENT was brilliant as well, a very enjoyable season that was. I have to go with ENT



haha speaking of that, does anyone know why TOS Season 1 has 29 episodes in it? A standard season had always been 26 episodes. I guess Season 3 of TOS had 24 because it got canceled.

Live Long and Prosper

Forum Permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum

You cannot reply to topics in this forum

You cannot delete posts in this forum