Why Do Many Fans Not Want To Read the Books?

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 23 2011, 4:15 pm

I used to read Trek books a lot 10+ years ago but had to cut back to a few authors because there were too many.  Then I gave up altogether because I got tired of the lack of continuity and contradictions.  But a year ago, a friend convinced me to give them another chance.  I read Destiny  and have been hooked on the relaunch novels since, even picking up pre-Destiny books to get caught up.

With there being little chance of future prime universe shows or movies, the books are our only link to the prime universe.  There are better editorial controls in place now and fewer authors so the books are easier and more enjoyable to follow.  The relaunches are also full of good continuing story for our favorite characters.  Even the books I don't like have good story and provide excellent continuity.  We see members wishing Tripp weren't dead, wanting to know what happened to the Voyager crew when they came home, does Sisko ever return, what is the origin of the Borg , etc.  I keep encouraging them to read the books as they answer the questions quite well and are very entertaining but many refuse to give them a try.  I've also said, if you want more Trek, buying the books helps show CBS that there is profit to be made in Trek, but nothing.

So, why do many fans have no interest in reading the books?

How can/should we encourage readership?

Now that the "relaunch" books have better editorial controls in place than the old books to prevent contradictions, are they more respectable to fans?  (And for possible authors-) Do the "relaunch" books have more respect within the franchise so we wouldn't expect them to be contradicted by future screen material?

If you don't read Trek books, why?

If you do read them, what keeps you coming back?

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 23 2011, 4:29 pm

And if any authors read this thread, could you please walk us through the editorial process of how stories are chosen, writers assigned, details fixed, and how they are checked to ensure continuity with other books. Do the authors conference with each other in any way? Perhaps this information would encourage fans to give them a try.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Jan. 23 2011, 4:47 pm

I'm finding it hard to get through Pocket TNG. I bought books 1-10 and they are okay. I am trying to give ST books ago, I saw book 1 of the Destiny trillogy for sale online and considered buying it. I think I will get through the 10 I have then move on to the Destiny Trillogy. Is that about Ezri? What other books would you reccomend?

David Mack

Report this Jan. 23 2011, 5:45 pm

RE: the story development process — every project is different, but the short version goes like this:

1) Either a writer or an editor has an idea for a Star Trek novel.
- If it's the writer, s/he writes a short (a few paragraphs) pitch and sends it to the editor.
- If it's the editor, s/he contacts a writer to suggest it to them and see if they want to write it.

2) The editor formally acquires the project and submits a contract request.

3) The writer prepares a detailed (12-16 pages) outline of the entire novel's story.

4) The editor gives the writer feedback on the outline, and they revise it until both like it.

5) The outline is sent to the licensor (the Star Trek office at CBS Television Consumer Products) for approval. The outline will either be approved as-is, approved with some changes, or rejected.

6) Once the outline is approved, the writer writes the novel. The finished novel is sent to the licensor for final approval, just like the outline.

7) The book gets a line (story) edit by the editor who acquired it; a copy edit by another editor; checked by a proofreader; and revised throughout this process by the author.

8) The book is published.

@iBorg13 - The Destiny trilogy is about a LOT more than Ezri. It is the Federation's final showdown with the Borg.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 23 2011, 6:04 pm

I find this interesting that CBS reviews the outline AND the final product. With 2 levels of reviews/approvals, what more can fans want for them to follow that these books ARE the way the Trek story progresses?

David Mack- So as far as the Star Trek franchise is concerned, is Janeway dead and the Borg threat gone? These stories provide continuity, but are they also "more canon" than past books, by which I mean would the events within be respected by future on-screen projects?

2takesfrakes

Report this Jan. 23 2011, 6:10 pm

If fans don't get into the books,
it has to be simply that they are
about people we "know" from seeing
them on TV. We know how they talk,
what their functions are, in the
stories, how they interact, etc.

Fun is fun, but the books are often
padded. And when they have a concept
that's interesting, you might've had
the same idea, even ... the way it
plays in the book sucks.

Especially if it's a series, the books
start becoming VANITY PROJECTS. Oh ...!
And MANY authors love being a wordsmith,
to force a VOCABULARY LESSON on you,
which ALWAYS blows. But mostly, it's the
fact that we're spoiled with live-action.

Tureaz'47

Report this Jan. 23 2011, 6:48 pm

boundaries.

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.

David Mack

Report this Jan. 23 2011, 8:36 pm

@ Matthias - For the foreseeable future, the Treklit continuity for stories set post-Destiny will continue to respect that Janeway is dead and the Borg are gone.

Data Logan

Report this Jan. 23 2011, 10:59 pm

I can understand how it can seem pretty daunting to Star Trek fans who thing about reading books. There have been over 500 books published, plus over 500 short stories in various anthologies, plus about 20 manga stories, plus over 700 comics, plus 6 books&records, plus about 10 audio-only stories. It takes a lot of resources (money and time) to find these works and read them (or listen, as in the case of the audio work).

Where do you start? Like iBorg13, who stated above that s/he just bought the first 10 TNG novels and is working hir way to Destiny. Even if you limit yourself to just TNG novels, s/he still has about 90 novels to go.
Ask other for advice/recommendations. We're happy to share the joy with other readers at forums like this.

Different people have different interests. Some people just don't enjoy reading Star Trek as much as others. IDIC.

Tureaz'47

Report this Jan. 23 2011, 11:07 pm

^ Yeah!

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.

Tureaz'47

Report this Jan. 23 2011, 11:07 pm

^ Yeah!

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 24 2011, 4:13 am

Tureaz'47

Report this Jan. 24 2011, 5:36 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jan. 24 2011, 4:13 am

>If you don't know where to start, go to memory beta and search for the relaunch series and start there seems to be the best approach to trim the list. Or, start with Destiny since this changed the quadrant in a 9/11 way. That leaves after Destiny, 1 tng book, 2 titan books, 2 voy books, 0 ds9, plus singular destiny and 4 typhon pacts which isn't bad. Ent fans have 3 books until the spring. I actually think this is a prefect time for fans to jump in and since maybe a dozen books are now published in a year, it is easy to keep up. Plus as DM said, these books are the prime universe for the foreseeable future. As for not having time, I can understand that, but think of the time you used to spend watching 2 trek shows a week. There is excellent story out there uninhibited by cgi, aging actors, and union salaries.
Some folks, aren't avid readers. I spend 2-3 hours, researching a newspaper and reading material that is non fiction, otherwise, I watch it. Why waste the time? I don't read fiction, because it is filled with the writer's personal innuendo. Annoying.

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 24 2011, 6:02 am

Tureaz'47

Report this Jan. 24 2011, 6:12 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jan. 24 2011, 6:02 am

>I don't think the books have any more personal agenda than the show did. Personal touches, yes. Curving the stories to whim, not anymore.
If folks are into it, all power to them. I'm an aware person, so I like to keep to those things that are true, where it belongs. Personal touch is going to be present; it's the extent of the innuendo that I am aware of. Degree's vary, of course; for myself, I don't like to be caught up in it, and that's why I would rather watch it.

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.