Trekkie or Trekker

StarTrek.com
Administrator

GROUP: Moderators

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 11:23 am

Trek Class is a Syracuse University class about the Information Age.  The class explores today's world "through the lens of the Final Frontier."  One of students asked "is there a difference between a Trekker and a Trekkie? If so what is it?"

What do you think?

We'd love to hear your thoughts and feel free to follow the discussion via Twitter at www.Twitter.com/trekclass.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 11:59 am

Both are acceptable.

Invader_Wishfire

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 12:56 pm

Photobucket

photo spok_zps253ab564.gif

scottjimenez

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 3:37 pm

TREKKIE!!  not trekker

One damn minute, Admiral.

Csillan_Rose

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 8:05 pm

I've always just used Trekkie. I actually don't have too much of a preference though.

Dif-tor heh smusma

Roboto

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 8:10 pm

(http://capttrekker.blogspot.com/)

"Some Star Trek enthusiasts prefer the term "Trekkie", while some others self-identify as "Trekker". The Trekkie v. Trekker debate may mirror the Sci-Fi vs SF debate.

When the media picked up on the word "Trekkies", some fans thought the term sounded too much like "Crazies". Self-identification as a "Trekkie" became even less popular in the late 1980s after a famous national television parody (see Parodies below); several self-described "Trekkers" were quoted as saying they "had a life" (contrasting themselves from "Trekkies").

In the 1991 TV show Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Special, Leonard Nimoy attempts to settle the issue by stating that the term 'Trekker' is the correct one.

The issue is also shown in the film Trekkies 2, in which a Star Trek fan recounts a supposed incident during a Star Trek convention where Gene Roddenberry used the term "trekkies" to describe fans of the show, only to be corrected by a fan that stood up and yelled "Trekkers!" Gene Roddenberry, allegedly, responded with "No, it's trekkies. I should know, I invented the thing."

One popular belief is that a "Trekkie" is a fan of the original Star Trek series and only the original whilst a "Trekker" is a fan of all Star Trek series such as The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, etc."

Honestly, I always went by Trekkie until I heard that Nimoy had said the other was correct. However, if I say to a non-Trek-fan "I am a Trekker", he will look at me blankly and say "What?"

For the ignorant masses, I say I am a Trekkie. For those with some knowledge, I say I am a Trekker.

KLINGONDOG

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 8:14 pm

I was called a lot worse when classmates discovered I liked Star Trek. So Trekkie or Trekker is fine either way.

bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'.

Aarron123

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 8:53 pm

If the guy who made it in the first place says it's Trekkie, then it's Trekkie. You can't just say "I don't like the sound of that so I will make up my own thing."

"Fate, it protects fools, small children, and ships called Enterprise" - Will Riker

Invader_Wishfire

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 10:18 pm

Ah, now that's it's stickied, that's much better.

Now, I've said I don't know how many times... A Trekkie is a fan of Star Trek. A trekker is a fan of really long walks.

photo spok_zps253ab564.gif

Beershark

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 10:53 pm

The original is Trekkie. The term Trekker evolved in the 80's. When the movies started coming out, there was turned out to be more fans then believed. These fresh out of the closet fans were yuppies who balked at being called Trekkie. They did not want to be lumped in with those they viewed as freaks, geeks, nerds and mamma's boys. They devised the term Trekker to better fit their self important lives.
Most First generation fans, like myself, who remember when it was just Star Trek, no movies, no spinoffs. Mr. Roddenberry gave us the designation Trekkies, and that is good enough for me.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

star trek tng
rocks!!!!!:)

Report this Jan. 20 2011, 10:31 am

Trekkie!!! I much more prefer Trekkie but if someone says Trekker i guess its acceptable.

"I've never met a chocolate I didn't like"-Deanna Troi

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Jan. 20 2011, 11:26 am

Actually at my school I was dubbed, "Star Trek". Just "Star Trek". Nothing else.
"Hey look, its Star Trek!"
DRY.
I tryed to teach everyone the term "Trekkie". Everyone nodded. Nobody did it. I tryed to teach everyone the term "Trekker". Everyone nodded. Nobody did it.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Jan. 20 2011, 11:26 am

"Hey look, its Star Trek!"
DRY.

24thcenstfan

Report this Jan. 20 2011, 4:46 pm

I'll answer to both. I also keep it neutral and say Star Trek fan too.

Join us @ => KEEP ON TREKKIN'

A Friendly Sci-Fi Community!

Spocks_Apprentice

Report this Jan. 20 2011, 10:08 pm

ive always thought of myself as a trekkie. whenever i say the word trekker it feels un-natural. If someone wanted to refer to me as a trekker i'd be ok with it but I still call myself a trekkie.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one............... unless the one in question is freaking awsome then forget the many.

Users browsing this forum: FleetAdmiral_BamBam