Never watched Star trek ever but about to

kalskylander

Report this Jan. 14 2011, 3:01 pm

Beershark

Report this Jan. 14 2011, 3:19 pm

Welcome aboard. Please check your light saber at the door.

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Jan. 14 2011, 3:33 pm

DS9 rocks! After that I'd try Voyager or Enterprise... they'd be pretty good for a Star Wars fan too I'd imagine. TNG and TOS are awesome but I'm not sure how a Star Wars fan would react to them... I suggest giving them a go too.

Dendodge

Report this Jan. 14 2011, 4:10 pm

I have seen each Star Wars film once . . . I liked them, but can't remember much of them (Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father, there were lots of spaceships).
Anyway, DS9 - especially towards the end - has a lot of giant starship battles and genetically-engineered soldiers that should please Star Wars fans. Welcome to the better sci-fi franchise! (I'm just kidding, they're both good - I had that argument with my biology teacher today, and don't want to have it again just yet).

UNTRugby

Report this Jan. 14 2011, 4:29 pm

Ds9 is great don't be turned off by the sub par 1st couple of seasons. It really takes off beginning with the season 2 finale

Dendodge

Report this Jan. 14 2011, 4:37 pm

I can vouch for that! I'm watching DS9 through in order at the minute, and I'm in the middle of season three. The first season can't be missed, because it sets up a lot of things, but it is a little slower than the rest of the series. The three-part story arc at the start of season two is good, but the rest of the season is something of a mixed bag, but season three - when the get the Defiant and meet the Jam'Hadar - is when it really starts to get good. In fact, DS9 seemed to get better with age, working up to the masterpiece that was season 7 (in which the best character in the history of Star Trek ever was introduced, but I'll try not to spoil it for you).

Csillan_Rose

Report this Jan. 14 2011, 7:48 pm

Hi! I'm watching DS9 for the first time as well, but I'm in the middle of season five. Since everything is fresh in my mind, I can't wait to see what you think of the series! Welcome!

Dif-tor heh smusma

kalskylander

Report this Jan. 17 2011, 4:13 am

THanks for all the replys! I likied the first three episodes but admit to being a little lost. I think the writers asumed that you have watched start trek before. They may have had even more watchers if they have not done this. Picard has an evil twin or somthing? I know whois but I am lost there. The captain seems upset at him and over the death of his wife. Did Evil Picard kill her? Dex seems like somthing out of stargate. I hope they explain more as the show gows on. Can anyone give me a breifing on Ferengi and Klingons? I know the klingons are warriors but thats about it. Thanks!

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 17 2011, 5:01 am

Quote: kalskylander @ Jan. 14 2011, 3:01 pm

>I am a huge Star wars fan and have never seen A star trek show. I saw the new movie and liked it alot. I guy at work has been bugging me to watch Star trek and insists Deep space nine would be liked by star wars fans. I am about to start with episode 1. Thought i would post my reactions on here. Thanks

Don't waste your time with what must be the joint worst (alongside Voyager) version of the show in DS9. If you like swashbuckling action adventure (as you must being a Star Wars fan) then the original series is the show for you. I might add I am also a Star Wars fan. DS9 is boring and depressing by comparison. The characters are dull for the most part and the whole show very static. Star Wars was full of movement and constant plot relocation. DS9 is like spending a rainy morning in a dentist's waiting room.

With Star Trek - as indeed Star Wars - you really need to go back to square one. Start at the beginning with Kirk & Co. and then watch it go downhill over five gradually weakening outings as the original genius behind the show disappeared and lesser talents took over...

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Vger23

Report this Jan. 17 2011, 6:28 am

Welcome to Star Trek!

I greatly enjoy DS9, but I think youwill be short-changing yourself to not be starting out with the original series. Much of what takes place in DS9 and TNG can be better appreciated by having the background info that the original series provides.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Beershark

Report this Jan. 17 2011, 11:45 am

It's always best to start at the begining; TOS > TAS > movies I-VI > TNG > DS9 > movies VII-X > ENT > ST XI.....

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.

TheAmazingFerengi

Report this Jan. 17 2011, 1:24 pm

I was a HUGE Star Wars fan before Star Trek. I have a massive collection of Star Wars stuff and I've seen the movies many, many times each. For some reason I started getting into Star Trek 7 or so years ago and it has been a great thing! A lot of people don't think you can love both, but I do. I've seen every episode of every series, own the movies, read the books, I'm a proud Trekkie. I'm also a proud Star Wars fan as well. I think you will like all the Star Trek has to offer from TOS to Enterprise. DS9 is a very good choice as well! Happy watching!

In space, no one can hear you scream...

priell217

Report this Jan. 17 2011, 5:40 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

i dont agree with your anti ds9 and voyager propaganda

I agree with your disagreement. DS9 is awesome and so is Voyager.

MikeP

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 5:03 am

Each to his own. I prefer the originals of most things rather than later (and usually weaker) spin-offs. ENT is not the beginning of the story. It might be set 100 years before TOS but it was created 30 odd years later and constantly refers to circumstances we know to be in place because of TOS. It is easy to do that with a prequel - you know what it coming next.

Star Trek : The Original Series = the Legend

Star Trek : The Later Shows = the Fag-ends

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Beershark

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 10:20 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

Quote: /view_profile/ @

i dont agree with your anti ds9 and voyager propaganda those shows are great. as far as star trek tos being the one to watch first i think not because enterprise will appeal to star wars fans more and introduces them to star trek more easy as its a prequel and IT IS THE REAL BEGINNING STORYWISE. so it comes before tos.

Now, now, stop arguing in front of the newbie. We all have our likes and dislikes. Like the new folks make up their own mind, and just be thankful that ST is still gaining new fans after 45years!

CORPORATIONS AREN'T PEOPLE! Soylent Green is people.