Star Trek : Of Gods And Men

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 9:24 am

I suppose this is the best place to put this.

I have just finished watching STOGAM via their excellent website. Although I was aware of it, I have only just got around to viewing the three parter mini-series.

I was quite impressed. It isn't really a film, but as an extended episode scenario it works quite well with a last hurrah for Chekov and Uhura.

I was wondering whether this has been discussed here before as I am sure you are all aware of it?

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 9:39 am

It was terrible, which is sad considering it is considered the best piece of fan fiction. The writing and story was just awful, never mind the poor production value which can be excused since it is fan fiction. The professional writers were okay, but had little to work with. The story made no sense and was THE worst time travel/alternate dimension story I've seen. The dude playing kirk's nephew had zero acting ability. The M designation of the museum ship was stupid. And using a TOS style connie in the alternate time made zero sense.

Good for the actors for supporting the fans, but I hope they didn't put that travesty on their resumes.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 9:41 am

So I guess you didn't like it then?

I'm prepared to be a little more generous. Surprisingly I thought Garret Wang rose to the occasion which was quite a surprise given my general boredom with him as Kim on Voyager. Tim Russ also made valiant efforts but with less success. Despite hamming it up it was nice to see both Koenig and Nicholls enjoying themselves.

But yes - the story was daft.

Given its circumstances it was a brave effort...

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 9:53 am

Brave, maybe. But it died faster than Tasha. The professionals in it did well, and leeta makes a nice orion, but writing should be left to trained writers. They had nothing to work with. I have good story ideas, but yknow I'm a trained engineers, I don't expect hollywood writers to sit at my desk and do mechanical stress and fatigue problems, and I know that I shouldn't write a script. Design a ship, maybe, but not a script.

Vger23

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 9:57 am

I thought it was reasonably good, given the limitations of the medium and resources. Overall, not my favorite...but interesting enough to be fun.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 10:02 am

Yes. My thoughts as well Vger23 - or can I call you V23 now we're better acquainted?

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Vger23

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 10:05 am

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Jan. 12 2011, 10:02 am

Haha!! Whatever works for ya, dawg!

I AM KEE-ROCK!!