Of Gods and Men

myagalactic

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 9:01 am

i just found Of Gods and Men on youtube and will watch someday, there are few secondary carachters, the image is not good and it's a really weird movie but their faces are in there, is that a real movie? and for those who watched, what did you think about it?

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 9:44 am

They give you a free copy cause who would pay for it!?! It is awful, not officially sanctioned, nor professionally written or produced. I suggest not wasting your time. Unofficial works are bad enough. This piece of garbage has trek actors to rope you in but it takes more than that to make poo smell like roses.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 9:54 am

Is this a coincidence or what? I just started another thread about this!

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 9:59 am

I know, I had to double up my rage!

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 10:00 am

I noticed!

I'm tempted to start another one ...

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 10:31 am

Kaaaaaaaaahn!!!

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 13 2011, 8:27 am

Shows you are the ignorant one. I watched it and tried watching Phoenix. I believe I showed in my comments in both subject threads that I watched the movie. If I think it was terrible and of unprofessional production quality, that is my opinion, and I am entitled to it. It was a poorly written and delivered story that has no merit or place alongside REAL star trek. If you don't like my opinion, tough, but it is the truth to me and many others. Don't call me out like you know what I have and have not seen. If I didn't watch it, I wouldn't comment so think before you point fingers and make personal accusations.

rocketscientist

Report this Jan. 13 2011, 8:57 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jan. 13 2011, 8:27 am

Well, I do think that VAB is right on Phase II. I believe DC Fontana and David Gerrold both had their scripts produced for that production.

I watched some of "Of Gods and Men" and got the gist of the story. I saw the end of it. The CGI sfx looked pretty good, the sets looked great too. I don't know how if the overall story held together well. Some of it seemed kind of "fanboy" for my taste.

One thing I did like about it were the actors. I especially liked Walter Koenig and the guy who played Harriman/Cameron and the guy who was in Alienation. It was kind of weird to see these actors that I'd seen in movies and TV series in an online production, but I liked their performances.

KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 13 2011, 9:26 am

I agree the professional trek actors did well in their performances, but their lines were bland because of the writing. Harriman's bit about coming to terms with kirk's death was also interesting. The guy playing kirk's nephew was just awful. Plus as I've said, the tos connie made no sense in the time it was in, as did the "M" designation of the museum ship. It was fan boys making a sad attempt to live their TOS fantasies. Of which, I give them credit for the orion chase masterson fantasy.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 14 2011, 12:25 pm

If you read my post which you quoted, you would see I said it was M for museum. I can take a dump and get award for it, but just because it is an award winning pile of poo, it is still crap.

Just like award winning independent movies that most people couldn't care less for, a trophy means nothing. Besides, all an award means is the rest were that much more pitiful. Mr Cawley may have means, but he sure doesn't have ability.

LightyearsBeyondYou

Report this Jan. 14 2011, 1:59 pm

James Cawley is nothing more than an amateur. Hes arrogant and trys to make everything he plays in revolve around his character. The shows and movies that he produces are a disgrace to the franchise and its embarrasing to see REAL trek characters have to stoop to the level of playing in badly written and acted independent films. I'm a fan of independents, but Phase II and Of Gods and Men is a major suckfest! SYFY produces crappy movies that are better than those. Theres a reason why JJ didn't give Cawley a speaking role. If you thought William Shatner was melodramatic, Cawley is twice as bad!

Vger23

Report this Jan. 14 2011, 5:49 pm

These are fan produced live-action stories that are made out of pure love and joy for the franchise.

The fact that anyone would badmouth them so terribly is the true disgrace.

But then again, Star Trek fans can be such a small-minded petty group sometimes...it's really not a surprise I suppose. Very sad and disappointing.

You're right VA...it likely comes from the "TNG ONLY" type fans who are disillusioned and jealous that "their" series is not being paid attention to.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 14 2011, 8:06 pm

You can drop names and say this person was around Roddenberry and TOS but that doesn't mean he makes good script or can act. OGAM may have been made of love, but my 3 year old can make me breakfast out of love, doesn't mean it is a good breakfast or even edible! How is it a disgrace to refuse to eat something indigestible?

Yes, I am a TNG man, but I can appreciate TOS and agree TOS had better movies. You say OGAM had a better script than ST09, well I didn't like the ST09 development but put it levels above OGAM. All this is opinion and personal preference. My problem with this whole discussion, VA, is you think I should like fan fiction and judge that I haven't given it a chance. Well I have and think it is all crap. Am I wrong, no. Are you wrong, no. What I do know is writing, acting, and producing should be left to the professionals (but not Rick Berman) whether it be TOS or TNG. I think fans should stop filming their fantasies and promoting them as "good as the real thing" and "should be the next series" whether it be TOS or TNG knock offs.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 15 2011, 9:57 am

I can respect that. Everyone who follows my posts knows I love the relaunch books and new frontier and think they should be canonized and appreciated by all fans. Of course I don't enjoy reading michael martin books but read them anyways for continuity reasons. So we can agree to disagree on this and respect each other's level of fandom?

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Jan. 15 2011, 11:00 am

Its a mediocre production... the only fanfilm I've ever really enjoyed was "Star Trek: Phase II" and even that is not up to the standards of Star Trek's official series. But considering that they don't have nearly as much money to work with... in both those productions they did a fairly good job.
"Of Gods and Men" is another 'alternate reality' and not a very good one when you compare it to "All Good Things..." or "Timeless" or even "Star Trek XI".
But as I said as fan productions go its probably one of the safest out there.