I know this question has been done to death.... introducing girlfriend to star trek...

matthaumschild

Report this Jan. 11 2011, 6:28 pm

Now, I am a Trekker to the core. I have my own public access show called, "Star Trek Review" in Minnesota. I have my own uniform, ect. I own every episode of every series and movie. ect. Just so you know what kind of a Trekker I am...

I've been seeing this girl for almost three months. She's been digging my shows as of late. She's afraid of watching Star Trek with me. Thinking that it's too geeky or boring. She has agreed to watch some of it with me depending on if she'll like it or not.

My question is... how shall I proceed? I know it would be a mistake to start off with Deep Space 9. I was thinking of starting out with the movies then transistion to the TOS...at least a few good episodes and a few good episodes of all the series.

what do you all think?

tribblenator999

Report this Jan. 11 2011, 8:22 pm

introduce girlfriend to star trek 2009. :0 the only trek that the common person has no bad thing to say about

"take us out"...

Csillan_Rose

Report this Jan. 11 2011, 8:58 pm

Dif-tor heh smusma

tribblenator999

Report this Jan. 11 2011, 10:55 pm

Quote: Csillan_Rose @ Jan. 11 2011, 8:58 pm

That's what I was going to say. Definitely start with 2009. It's easy to understand what's going on as opposed to just being flung into one of the seasons where they assume you know everyone/general info about the universe. Even the original series doesn't give you too much of an introduction. So if she enjoys 2009 and it's characters, that's where you start with TOS. Maybe not the first couple of episodes at first, since Trek was still trying to find itself at the beginning. Just warn her ahead of time that yes, TOS is a little campy, and that it's the 60's. She'll understand. Just remember that enthusiasm is catching--if you show how much you love it and why, she's bound to as well. Good luck! And don't worry too much, there are PLENTY of girls who love Trek. That whole only-men-are-trekkies thing is a myth

really? where do i find these trekkie single girls. hehe

"take us out"...

Csillan_Rose

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 12:01 am

Lol, funny thing, half of my hallway back in the dorms were trekkies. I don't know where you *can't* find them.

Dif-tor heh smusma

matthaumschild

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 2:59 pm

I got into Star Trek because of Star Trek 6. My dad pulled me out of school to bring me to the theater to watch it when I was in 5th grade. It was awesome. Since then, I've been a die-hard Trekker, wanting more and more. I just kind of figured...start out the same way.

I could start out with the new movie :-) The problem I have with it is... Vulcan being destroyed. It screws up the whole Trek time-line. It'll be a mess to explaine.

Camorite

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 4:02 pm

Quote: tribblenator999 @ Jan. 11 2011, 8:22 pm

I dissagree with this as it might cause confusion when she finally watches TOS. I suggest starting off in a best of Chronological order. Start off with the best of Entperise, TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager (not more then 1 or 2 episodes of each series), then if she is willing to continue, go into each series from start to finish, saving the movies for after she has watched the 5 series (or at the very least save the last three TNG movies and Trek09 for after that).

"What i Hate more then anything else is someone that thinks that they know everything. That must mean that I really hate myself", "Freedom is the right of all setient beings!" (Optimus Prime: Transformers), "That's on small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!" Neil Armstrong 8-5-30 to 8-25-12

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 5:11 pm

Well, me and my ENTIRE family (including brothers, sisters, mums, dads, grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins etc) went down to our batch these holidays and I did what my family fondly call a "classic my name here" and brought down a good three seasons of Star Trek. One of my many cousins (who is, in fact, a girl) sat down for some random episode of DS9 Season 2 because she "Had nothing better to do". Soon after the episode finished she asked if I was watching another. I told her, truthfully, that I never sit down for just one episode unless I have to be somewhere. We continued to watch eps for the better part of the day and the following day she got up early and we watched eps all through the morning, went to the beach for a few hours, then returned and continued to watch more with me. Similar days followed and now that we're back she's been asking to borrow some of my season DVDs, I happily obliged and I get the feeling I will finally converted my first family member to Star Trek. My advice: Don't worry about what series, movie etc JUST PICK A GOOD ONE AND THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK!
I remember when, just two (nearly three) years ago I was converted into a Trekker/ie. It was amazing back then everything was so new, I hadn't seen many eps and I wanted SO MUCH MORE. I still do but watching eps for the second time is never the same...
As I say PICK A GOOD ONE AND THEY WON'T, NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY MIGHT WANT TO, BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK!!!

coyoteman_1

Report this Jan. 18 2011, 11:23 pm

No dude, as man who has successfully turned many people (including my gf) into full blown trekkies, you have to start out with something that deconstructs their preconceived notions of Trek. I will often start with "The Inner Light." Make 'em cry. Then maybe do a funny one or a really badass one. The ladies love Picard.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 5:04 am

The solution is simple. Tell her, "love me, love trek". No woman, no matter hotness, sweetness, or cooking abilities, will do if she doesn't like trek. Period. Now, if she is unwilling to get into it, she should at least be willing to get into a TOS miniskirt and role play. That, my friend, is awesome and a keeper.

rocketscientist

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 8:27 am

Quote: Camorite @ Jan. 12 2011, 4:02 pm

Quote: tribblenator999 @ Jan. 11 2011, 8:22 pm

I'd skip ENT, since it really isn't a prequel and just go straight to "Star Trek," the classic that spawned all these spin-offs (some to the franchise's detriment like VOY and ENT).

KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

rocketscientist

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 8:31 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jan. 19 2011, 5:04 am

KHAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!

bobarino

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 1:39 pm

Quote: rocketscientist @ Jan. 19 2011, 8:31 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Jan. 19 2011, 5:04 am

Star Trek didn't factor into my relationship with my wife (who was a tall blond bikini-designing beach volleyball player when I met her), though she liked "Star Trek." She tolerates my fandom (bought me a phaser for Christmas), and is ok with TNG and, so far, really likes DS9. She hates VOY though. But, really, if your girlfriend hates ST, so what? There's a lot more to a relationship, y'know. There are plenty of other shared interests a couple can have than a sci-fi franchise.
Well put! I would suggest to hold off on the Klingon love making techniques for now. She may not be ready for that.

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 1:55 pm

Man, tough crowd. No sense of humor in this room.

Vger23

Report this Jan. 19 2011, 2:38 pm

Quote: matthaumschild @ Jan. 12 2011, 2:59 pm

That's cool. I was in HS when VI came out, and I took the day off to see it at noon on opening day with a few buddies.

The new movie takes place in an alternate universe (like the Mirror Universe). This is a result of Nero making changes when he first appeared. Think TNG's "Parallels." Vulcan is only destroyed in the new universe. The classic Trek universe still exists in parallel to this, the Mirror Universe, and perhaps countless others.

No reason to sweat it!