What did you think of Dr. Pulaski replacing Dr. Crusher during season 2?

tmntfanboy

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 2:48 pm

I hated that they replaced Dr. Crusher during season 2. Does anyone have any insight on why this occured? Dr. Pulaski's personality left a lot to be desired. She always argued with everyone.

switcherdawna

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 2:54 pm

It only made sense there'd be more than one doctor on board... as there was on TOS when Spock was in sick bay and the doctor needed to slap him across the face a few times (as per Spock's instructions) to make him conscious. (By Any Other Name?) One doctor could be very overworked....

starshipgalleyrat6987

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 3:07 pm

As a fill in I suppose it was ok...but they should have brought back Admiral McCoy...THAT would have been kick-a**!!!

"It's a song you green-blooded...Vulcan! The words aren't important; what's important is that you have a good time singing!" McCoy 2 Spock, ST V FF

Caesar753

Report this Jan. 10 2011, 5:29 pm

I hated Pulaski and was thrilled when Crusher returned.

Tureaz'47

Report this Jan. 10 2011, 9:10 pm

A minor glitch!

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.

Riker's Beard

Report this Jan. 11 2011, 3:48 pm

Quote: tmntfanboy @ Jan. 09 2011, 2:48 pm

So did I, I liked that dynamic she had going with Picard, and her personality in general was admirable without being abrasive. I guess they replaced her to bring in a character more like Bones, but there was no need. We already knew Bones, why did we need another? The show just felt odd without her there after we'd all got used to it.

janewayjunkie74656

Report this Jan. 11 2011, 8:10 pm

YES I hated that they replaced her. What I especially hated is that she didn't get along with Data. Everyone SHOULD get along with Data.

Csillan_Rose

Report this Jan. 11 2011, 8:12 pm

Pulaski was introduced for season two because Gates McFadden had arguments with the writers over where her character was going, they got pretty angry with each other, and so they released her from the contract. They got her back for season 3 because they pretty much begged her, as far as I can tell. But I think that Pulaski would have been one of those characters that would have gotten better if they stuck around. For instance, she was always very derogatory towards Data, but I think as time went on the writers were probably planning to have the two become close... kind of like a Spock/McCoy type relationship. That's why I think she always argued with everyone. The writers didn't WANT you to like her at the beginning, so that it could make the turn-around of her character all the more satisfying. However, obviously, this never got to happen.

Dif-tor heh smusma

unitron6991

Report this Jan. 11 2011, 10:20 pm

Ya can't be goin aroond an insultin th roobots!

I just don't personality wise she fit in.

miklamar

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 1:35 am

Quote: Csillan_Rose @ Jan. 11 2011, 8:12 pm

Good information, Csillan Rose. Dr. Pulaski's argumentative role never meshed with the TNG crew, especially her insults of Data. Her McCoy-like comments did not seem appropriate.

konarciq

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 2:46 am

I didn´t particularly like or dislike Pulaski (though I, too, thought her attitude towards Data left a lot to be desired in the beginning), but I was very glad when Dr. Crusher returned. It made more sense to have Wesley around when she was there. And I simply like her character.
As for Pulaski meant to be a second McCoy: I think the TNG crew (the characters) worked so well just because they got along so well. It´s refreshing to see a well functioning team. We don´t need to see interpersonal problems etc; we see them enough in real life.
(Not that the TOS crew didn´t function well together, but...)

Anyway, it´s mentioned regularly that there are more doctors on board than just her. We know of at least Selar and Hill.

iBorg13

POSTS: 1944

Report this Jan. 15 2011, 3:57 pm

Pulaski's a fag. I hate her. No offense Pulaski.
Y'know whats funny - when you say no offense they usually take more offense in it.

HisRoyalHighnessTheKing

Report this Jan. 16 2011, 2:23 am

Pulaski was a superior character to Dr Crusher

It's a shame she only lasted one season.

May God Save The King

2takesfrakes

Report this Jan. 16 2011, 4:16 am

The actress was great,
the character sucked.
It was a good misstep though,
in the sense that if they had
replaced Gates McFadden with a
talented HOT chick, Crusher's
chances at coming back would not
have looked too good. Gates fit
in, she belonged. Diane Mulder
didn't. So it really worked out.

Csillan_Rose

Report this Jan. 16 2011, 5:21 am

I actually pretty much agree with you completely on this one, 2takes.

Dif-tor heh smusma

Users browsing this forum: alfamav