If you were in charge of the Star Trek franchise...

Trajan

Report this Jan. 08 2011, 7:06 pm

What would you do?

I'll get some of your opinions before putting a laundry list on the table, but probably the biggest thing I would do is develop a new Star Trek series.  It would be computer animation, however, and not live action.

The show would deal with Years 4 and 5 of the Enterprise's "5 Year Mission" in TOS.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars is a good example as far as voice work and production values go.  It is visually impressive, and the top-notch voice acting comes quite close to the original actors in the films.

I'd love to have something like that for Star Trek.  But I would make the show more adult, and run hour long episodes versus the more traditional 30-minute format found in animation.

In addition, I would bring in veteran Trek writers (from every genre) like D.C. Fontana, Manny Cotto, Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens, and Peter David to contribute to the show.  And as was the case with TOS, I would also attempt to bring in some of the top Sci-Fi writers alive today to pen a script.  I'm talking about giants like Ray Bradbury (who did some excellent work for The Alfred Hitchcok Show), Harlan Ellison, Philip Jose Farmer, Orson Scott Card, Frederick Pohl, Larry Niven, etc...

If the show were successful enough, I would expand to a second series that focused more broadly on the Star Trek universe.  One episode might feature the crew from TNG, while the next featured the crew from ENT.  Eventually I'd like to do alien-themed episodes, where we see events from a Klingon, Romulan, or even Borg point-of-view.

And finally, should the demand for TOS still be strong upon the completion of years 4 and 5, I'd develop the Star Trek: Phase II idea, with Kirk and crew setting out on their second 5-year mission.

So what do you think guys?  Any ideas of your own?

Camorite

Report this Jan. 08 2011, 7:32 pm

first thing i would do is to not let Paramount/CBS walk all over me like they did with Berman.

"What i Hate more then anything else is someone that thinks that they know everything. That must mean that I really hate myself", "Freedom is the right of all setient beings!" (Optimus Prime: Transformers), "That's on small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!" Neil Armstrong 8-5-30 to 8-25-12

Jason222

Report this Jan. 08 2011, 7:45 pm

In practice start new series either Star-fleet learning UFP history in holodeck in classroom setting or Star Terk series were one main carter who time traveler study history. He have chance uniforms each time goes. We could get see all best TNG,TOS, Ent, and DS9 and even Voyager all over again.

IF I was going movie I make join Movie happen Yesterday Enterpise timeline which in could main stars  Enterpise show,DS9 and Voyager and add Kirk either star Terk 2009 or TOS however be main Prime Timeline Kirk. I have wornhole aliens get Kirk and Enterpise stars out the Nexis. I have movie base around Commander Sisko seeing wife get kill the Klingon during Ground battle send to Bajor and chase Bajor wornhole Klingon lose most 300 must advance starships. Only told want Bajor help he have agree chief religon leader head Nexis were get legncy crew and a legncy Caption. Once crew out Enterpise stars combine with Caption Kirk change the tide of war on UFP favor and force Klingon Empire to surrider.

If for what every reason had to keep doing movies I next either be about Borg coming little early thank black hole pick one state Dela Quadron. Early and UFP getting save super humans after UFP and Klingon fleet nearly defeated and Kirk leading group MACO and Klingon commandos on plan he get Prime universe Spock fail almost get assimilate if not for gene engneer human save them by hijacking UFP starship to get to place battle taken and kill crew aboard and then beam board Borg cube and save Kirk and must Klingon commandoes and members MACO. Kirk stand up defend gene engineer people rights in UFP court and explain that they save UFP and Klingon Empire form Borg and that this law against gene engineer people allow to join starfleet is wrong. These people do out hate starfleet out love starfleet. Or having Main charters of Star Terk last movie beam over to Twilight time-line with Archer on Vulcan. Were Kirk try talk Dr McCoy into design biologic weapons way saving Human race Dr. McCoy saying against his medical ethics. Kirk and Dr.McCoy are arguing race they fighting either us or them mean while Scott build Constitution class starship design purly for war. It take Dr. McCoy nearly get hit while Constitution class is able destroy starship Xindi only after get chance destory few building and unjuring Dr. McCoy

UNTRugby

Report this Jan. 08 2011, 8:10 pm

making an animated trek would be a mistake. It works for star wars becuase star wars has always been marketed almost exclusively to kids and trek almost exclusively to adults. Id go with an all new premise for a show doing another kirk n crew show will just get stale quickly.

Vardonir

Report this Jan. 08 2011, 10:53 pm

Well, first I'd get rid of the new timeline with the 29th century Starfleet. And restore everything back to the way it were.

I really like the animated show idea, but nothing like the crappy American cartoons like the ones in Nickelodeon or Disney. I'm thinking Japanese anime. Nothing 3D, nothing made in a program like 3DS Max. Plots like FullMetal Alchemist or Naruto or the Gundam Franchise. Nothing as childish as Spongebob. Uncensored blood and violence everywhere. The setting could be anything from the Earth-Romulan wars, or the adventures of the Enterprise-C, or immediate post-Voyager. It'd be best for a Mirror Universe series. Animated, so that the actors won't age. All they'd need are the original actors to voice the characters.

Another live-action series would be great, but if the plotline moves forward. No more going backward like the new film or ENT, because what I want to see in this franchise are the technological stuff. I'd like to see "the adventures of the Relativity," but it'll end up too hard to follow because it's one temporal anomaly after another.

「マーキーの心。」 私はヴォイジャです。

Trajan

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 2:06 am

Quote: UNTRugby @ Jan. 08 2011, 8:10 pm

The 2009 Japanese Prime Minister Hatoyama Yukio openly discussed which Manga (Japanese comics) titles he enjoyed. And he was in no way ridiculed for it.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 3:47 am

Don't get me started...!

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Tureaz'47

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 4:00 am

Keep the integrity of the script writing, how GR. would have expected.

Have major input from ST fans into decision making.

Bring back some specialist writers and persons involved with ST series previously, like Jeri Taylor and Michael Piller etc;

Bring back the previos posting MB's and format, with the added new stuff, that we currently have.

Have conventions and ST. touring shows, more often and in more place's.  Get the actors and others invovled in the series, more involved with the franchise and meeting potential clients ( ie; fans )

It's strange, being a catalyst for things that move outside.

UNTRugby

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 8:09 am

>>1.) The idea that animation is solely for children is a misconception. I'm not into Japanese anime, but Japan is a good example of a country where animation and comics are mainstream entertainment, and don't have a stigma attached to them by narrow-minded audiences.

this isnt japan and no one would ridicule obama is he talked about the simpsons becuase its part of our culture like anime is part of japans. Also despite that anime is mainstream most the the plot line are very juvenile. It would be hard to do some of the series issues that star trek does in animation and have it be taken seriously.

>>2.) Trek has already been done in animation, and most Star Trek fans I know speak highly of the show. A new show, geared for adults and paired with today's technology, has every opportunity to succeed if done right.

TAS bombed becuase it was an animated shows that was exclusively watched by adults and it would have the same problem today. The star wars one works becuase star wars markets to kids and when they grow up they are still star wars fans and they also get new kid fans.

>>3.) Whatever incarnation of Trek it is, it will always have the burden of living up to the original series. New characters will be compared to Kirk and company, and there is no denying that.

they might be compared to kirk but just the novelty of having another kirk will wear off quickly

>>Additionally, as the current market has shown, the original series characters have a lot of life left in them, and a bunch of stories yet to tell.

they have a life of about 2 hours, if they are as flat and boring (with the exception of spock) as they were in trek 09 they wont make it past 6 episodes

dario_ares

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 11:26 am

hm...

i don't like the idea for a animated series! no! please not!!!
animee's are more for kids and i have seen some and they didn't match it. sorry!

but for a new series im also open for the idea about the 29th century of starfleet!!!
specially, if there will be a new series in the 29th century, how about the borg??!!
i remember voy season 5, episode "drone"...

but i would go for sure to work with berman and many of the directors and workers of voy and ds9!!!

^^Nicolas^^

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 11:47 am

Quote: Ghostmojo @ Jan. 09 2011, 3:47 am

Don't get me started...!

Same here, I think I would get ride of everyone too start off with.

Never let me slip, cause if I slip, then I'm slippin.

Boldly_Garak

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 1:06 pm

Quote: Trajan @ Jan. 08 2011, 7:06 pm

>Star Wars: The Clone Wars is a good example as far as voice work and production values go.  It is visually impressive, and the top-notch voice acting comes quite close to the original actors in the films

We all know that George Lucas can make thing go kablooey and it all looks really pretty.

But inciting it, as an example of what to do with aim for, is not where I'd go.

It doesn't make any sense at all, the voice acting I felt was awful, and did we really need to be introduced to Jabba the Huts Gay/transgendered/shemale/wtf uncle? or aunt? or cousin? I don't even remember.

Star Trek is about the story, it's about telling a tale, that's why episodes were an hour long, it just had more to say, it had detail, subtext, and small nuances throughout each episode that kept you interested, even if sometimes the production value was two people on Neon Polls swinging what can only be described as a death ball at each other.

Ultimately, if I were in charge, I'd wanna get Star Trek a little more back to its roots, while also retaining what I considered a positive change in the New Movie, of making it a little flashier, but at the same time keeping the essense of the characters, and what Star Trek is all about, i'd just bring it in more to the more central ideas, that are fantastic on their own anyway, they were just never executed properly

*cough* Insurrection, Nemesis and Generations *cough*

Vger23

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 1:24 pm

Quote: Tureaz'47 @ Jan. 09 2011, 4:00 am

Keep the integrity of the script writing, how GR. would have expected.

Have major input from ST fans into decision making.

I don't know if I have ever disagreed with any post ever written on this board more than I have disagreed with this.

1. Fan input into the series would be a death-blow. The series should be made with a more broad, newer generation of fans in mind. If they took the "ideas" and "input" of the fans into account, it would be the biggest hodge-podge of fanwank crapola ever to be produced. Star Trek is not a democracy, nor should it EVER be.

2. I would greatly prefer that the "former writers" not be involved in any way. Also, I hate to break the news to you, but Michael Piller passed away in 2005. I don't think he'd be likely to come back and contribute.

A new Star Trek series would have to be bold, different, and more broad-reaching to survive in this age. It would have to be as significantly different as TNG was when it first premiered...perhaps even more. I look at how the re-tooled BSG compared to the original BSG, and THAT's the kind of transformation I think is necessary (BEFORE EVERYONE COLLAPSES IN A HEAP OF ANGER AND DISPAIR, I'm not saying "make it like BSG." I'm saying it needs to be as much as a departure as BSG was from its original source material.). It needs to have it's style and approach significantly updated, while retaining the same GENERAL themes that make something "Trek."

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

starshipgalleyrat6987

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 3:00 pm

...I would have given John DeLancie a guest spot as Q in one of the movies, either Insurrection or Nemesis (as if Picard's hands weren't full enuff in either movie).  Next 2 the Borg, I had always hoped they would have made him a major villain, if not a colossal pain in the rear in a feature movie.

"It's a song you green-blooded...Vulcan! The words aren't important; what's important is that you have a good time singing!" McCoy 2 Spock, ST V FF

StarSeekerForTrip

Report this Jan. 09 2011, 5:51 pm

I wouldn't have ended Enterprise the way they did. I just feel that it was wrong to kill Trip off. To me, it didn't add anything and I believe the fans, the series, and the actors deserved better.

The galaxy can giggle all it wants, but it can't have my chocolate.