The Alternate Reality in Star Trek XI

Created by: Curst Saden

Curst Saden

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 12:12 am

I think that the whole concept of an alternate reality is just stupid.  When I first saw Vulcan get destroyed I thought ok, this is just a bad dream episode, everyone is going to die and they'll fix it all in the end.  But no, they had to have two separate universes and blow up Vulcan and all this nonsense.  They should have either done a regular prequel or (and in my opinion more preferably) just show what happens next in the prime universe after Nemesis.  I don't like the concept of an alternate reality because Kirk in that movie is NOT Kirk.  Sure he's an alternate duplicate that's like Kirk in nearly every way but it's not him.  Same goes for Spock, McCoy, etc.  Vulcan didn't really get destroyed because it's an alternate Vulcan that gets destroyed and Earth was never threatened because it was an alternate Earth that was threatened.  It's all so ridiculous.  We have an established canon, why go change it without really changing it?  I'd rather watch a movie about the REAL characters, not alternate duplicates.  Don't get me wrong I think the movie was really well done with great acting and special effects and I can't wait for the sequel, but the whole alternate reality thing bothers me.

What do you think?

Edit: I messed up the poll and tried to enter the question and made it a selection by accident.  Please don't choose the first selection, I can't figure out how to edit it.  Sorry!  Thanks!

"In fact, I've always found that people who try to convince others of their beliefs are usually trying to convince themselves." -Kira Nerys "I would cite regulation, but I know that you will simply ignore it."-Spock (Alternate) "There-are-FOUR-lights!"-Jean Luc Picard Sulu: Come on, come on! Crewman: She'll fly apart sir! Sulu: Fly her apart then!

WkdYngMan

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 12:41 am

The new timeline is no more or no less valid than the other, since one doesn't have any more authenticity than the other. I have almost 40 years worth of material in one timeline. Going in another direction for a while is just quite alright with me.

Aarron123

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 1:48 am

My only real problem with the alternate reality is that they can just do whatever they want and go "ALTERNATE REALITY!" Same as "it was all a dream" shows. We have a preset timeline and I think it should stick to that. I was really excited about the idea of seeing how the crew got together and that was destoryed during the movie by JJ yelling "ALTERNATE REALITY!" I was quite disapponted by that.

"Fate, it protects fools, small children, and ships called Enterprise" - Will Riker

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 4:51 am

The alternate reality is about making fresh money out of an old product. Some of us my rail against this (including me) but I suppose when all is said and done you can just ignore it if you want to. The most important aspect of Star Trek since the 1980s has been trying to maximise profits rather than respect the heritage. We shouldn't really be surprised at that. Perhaps what they film-makers should have done was to make a new Star Trek with new characters - not Kirk, Spock, McCoy - but Smith, Brown, Jones or whoever. In a different ship - the U.S.S. Franchise... We might have been more happy with that. As long as they left Vulcan alone (and Romulus come to that) they could have done pretty much whatever they liked with my tacit support and/or benign indifference. That's generally the view I take of DS9 and VOY.

Then a fresh audience could adopt it and make it their own rather than creating this dichotomy between new and old fans.

To be fair to JJA et al, they do, however, at regular intervals throughout the film point out (via the main characters' dialogue) that the future has been changed by the inter-time period fiddling. I guess that is the message the studios really wanted us to understand.

Fortunately they can't change the (real) past for which there is no alternate reality!

to boldy go where no man has gone before

jamesspock1

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 9:00 am

The prime had alot to offer still, the galaxy is large enough to boldly go where no man has gone before, etc... actualy it has more to offer with all the elements already in place.
the same type of action could be offered in prime time with a new crew and ship, and get the same results, instead they dividing the fans instead of making a full unification, granted there will alwayse be people who will be opposed to what they do, but prime universe would have made more sense.

Vger23

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 10:11 am

I like it, because it eliminates the bulky, cumbersome history and canon that Star Trek had developed and that fans took way too seriously. It allows new fans to enjoy the movie without feeling like they are 40 years late to the party.

I can enjoy intricate Star Trek stories like DS9, but I can also enjoy the carefree approach that Trek 09 took with regard to an alternate reality.

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

WkdYngMan

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 6:37 pm

Quote: /view_profile/ @

WAIT WHAT THE HELL? I THOUGHT THAT THE PRIME UNIVERSE TIMELINE WAS CHANGED WHEN VULCAN WAS DESTROYED SINCE WHEN IS THIS A ALTERNATE UNIVERSE? DOES THAT ACTUALLY MEAN THAT PLANET VULCAN IS STILL THERE IN THE PRIME UNIVERSE? SOME1 TELL ME PLEASE.

tahmtahm

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 6:50 pm

I agree with WkdYngMan.
I see the 'prime' timeline still in existance with the new one.
I look at them as 2 seperate places.
By the way, what is the difference between an 'alternate reality', a 'parallel universe' and a 'quantum reality'?
I'm dazed and confused. . .

megan512

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 7:47 pm

I like the new timeline mainly because it allows for creativity. They can experiment with new alien species, villains, whatever. They don't have to worry about adhering to canon.

And if one really doesn't like the new timeline, the prime timeline is always there. Vulcan is still there along with the original crew.

Aarron123

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 8:38 pm

I apologize if my comments don't come across the way I mean them, I write most of them around 4 am because of work lol. What I meant was that the movie was advertised as being the way that the crew all met and had heir first adventure together (basically). Then BAM! Alternate relaity... not exactly what was advertise and therefore I was disapointed.

tahmtahm

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 8:46 pm

Aarron123, have you read the Starfleet Academy book series?
Yes, I know they are 'teen fiction' but they are a very interesting look into how they met in the Academy (based on the 09Trek).
I know the new movie may not have been what you wanted, but it did bring Star Trek back to the forefront of the studios again - so all hope is not lost.

KLINGONDOG

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 8:54 pm

I enjoyed the movie but not sure if it is a good thing. I agree they need to tread carefully and not screw it up .

bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'.

WkdYngMan

Report this Jan. 04 2011, 9:18 pm

Quote: Aarron123 @ Jan. 04 2011, 8:38 pm

Technically, they would be correct in that this story is how this crew meets and their first adventure together.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 05 2011, 2:08 am

I thought it interesting that the new book Star Trek 365 (about ST:TOS) is published by a company called Abrams. It sort of binds the two universes together...

to boldy go where no man has gone before

Vger23

Report this Jan. 05 2011, 5:42 am

Quote: /view_profile/ @

YES THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS!!!! THAT WAS PRETTY MUCH THE WHOLE POINT OF THE NEW MOVIE!! ARRGGGHHH!!!!!!

I AM KEE-ROCK!!

Users browsing this forum: scottjimenez