No giants in Star Trek?

Spot_Data's_Cat

Report this Dec. 31 2010, 8:39 pm

We never seem to come across any 'giants' etc, like in Gulliver's Travels in Star Trek -correct me if I'm wrong.

"Life forms...you tiny little life forms...you precious little life forms...where are you?" -Data

PianoWizzy

Report this Dec. 31 2010, 9:56 pm

I think that the Orions were kind of tall. Borderland from ENT is one example, if I'm not mistaken. Well, how big?

~PianoWizzy - Self-proclaimed Trekker. Adores intelligent males and shiny starships. Comedian, artist, pianist, science enthusiast. Beware.

Spot_Data's_Cat

Report this Dec. 31 2010, 11:58 pm

Significantly bigger or smaller than what we consider normal, I suppose. I was just thinking that it seemed odd that Star Trek never encountered any aliens who were either much bigger or much smaller.

Fflanders

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 12:51 am

TOS Cats Paw has the aliens much smaller than our size. Another episode has Apollo growing to an enormous size to try to scare the landing party, but does seem odd that even the monsters were of a height. Voyagers Species 8472 could have been larger or the gorn in ENT.

"We have them just where they want us."

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 6:57 am

Unfortunately, strange sizes make finding actors difficult. All CG aliens like 8472 can be huge. They were big when they fully lengthened out their legs. Hirogen were big too. The novels also have some really big and small and oddly shaped aliens (especially titan) cause they don't have to spend money rendering them.

scottjimenez

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 10:56 am

if you will notice they tried to make the klingons have a substantial size difference compared to humans.

One damn minute, Admiral.

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 11:34 am

I loved how the Hirogen were shot so as to look massive.

The later episodes took away the size advantage, which made the Hirogen lose some of their panache',

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

ItalianTiberius24

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 11:56 am

Your right for the most part that there hasn't been alot of giants in star trek which you would expect to find in outer space but the tos classic the galileo seven was an episode with giants in it and also in the tng 5th season episode darmok the alien predator in that was quite large if my memory serves me correct....

I don't believe in the no-win scenerio.

merrypranxter

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 2:49 pm

it was also a little strange that no matter where you went in the galaxy, almost everyone was fluent in ancient earth English...

'IwlIj jachjaj

scottjimenez

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 3:35 pm

Quote: merrypranxter @ Jan. 01 2011, 2:49 pm

universal translator

One damn minute, Admiral.

merrypranxter

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 3:42 pm

Quote: scottjimenez @ Jan. 01 2011, 3:35 pm

Quote: merrypranxter @ Jan. 01 2011, 2:49 pm

universal translator

yeah but that doesn't explain the movement of their lips. the universal translator lets you hear your language. it shouldn't mess with what you see. & what you should see would look more like an old-school kung-fu movie.

'IwlIj jachjaj

BrotherofShran01

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 6:27 pm

Quote: ItalianTiberius24 @ Jan. 01 2011, 11:56 am

Right on the money ItalianTiberius24. The TOS episode "The Galileo Seven" was the first to come into my find when the word giants came into mind.

I always party at Starbase 63!

Starbase

Lieutenant_Jedi

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 9:48 pm

It seems that for story and budget purposes the Powers That Be, tried to adhere to the idea that most intelligent humanoid life "evolved" to conform to certain basic parameters, such as height and weight. So most "humanoids" were about the same size, with a few exceptions.

"Can you detect midi - chlorians with a tricorder?"

Matthias Russell

Report this Jan. 02 2011, 9:51 am

Since most intelligent life in Alpha and Beta were seeded by one humanoid race, that explains a lot in local space.

Noharrr

Report this Jan. 12 2011, 12:11 am

In DS9 the Grand Nagus Zek's servant is from a renowned race of giants.

I think the problem is simply that there are very few giant humans to fill out (up?) the uniforms without looking like 1950's "FX" and leaving everyone laughing. So first you need giant humans. eg. Dolph Lundgren (a paltry 6 ft 5) and Richard Kiel (7 ft 1.5 in.), then you need them to be interested in acting, then you need them to last as long as the series. Sadly, gigantism correlates with reduced lifespan. The alien in Alien I was a 7 ft-plus Watusi in a practical prop suit -- not FX for the full-body shots. I met a man who was 7 ft 6 in, and recently had a colleague who was 7 ft 4 in. The Dutch are currently the tallest people on earth by average height.

I know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that humankind will one day voyage among the stars. I shall not live to see that journey, but I have lived to see the journey begin . . . and for that, I am eternally grateful.