Chekov in Star Trek:2009

SpockYou

Report this Dec. 30 2010, 2:53 pm

I'm a relatively new Trekkie (not only because of ST:2009. I also went back to basics and am totally addicted to TOS) and was wondering why people seemed to dislike the new Chekov so much. Being young and a girl, I find him totally adorable but I was curious because there are some episodes where he is also that adorable in TOS like in 'Spectre of the Gun'.

"A little suffering is good for the soul." -Kirk

Matthias Russell

Report this Dec. 30 2010, 4:03 pm

Another girl, alrighty. We need more feminine viewpoints here. I didn't think Chekov was presented very seriously in the movie, but then, he was usually the comic relief in TOS. I thought it was hilarious how no one could understand him. But I get the felling JJ didn't know what to do with him.

jamesspock1

Report this Dec. 30 2010, 5:17 pm

I found it odd how the computer did not understand Chekov, when it can translate any language in the universe, even the ones it never heard before, plus we only seen Chekov about 15 seconds, its hard to give him presence in that amount of time.

wissa

Report this Dec. 30 2010, 9:30 pm

Quote: SpockYou @ Dec. 30 2010, 2:53 pm

being young and a girl means you should like him lol. Chekov was brought into the second season as an answer to The Monkeys and it was to appeal to teenage girls.

We welcome st.com refugees! click on the image

arc29

Report this Dec. 30 2010, 10:26 pm

i have always liked him but the new movie did not do him justice at all..

ARCAIN29

SpockYou

Report this Dec. 31 2010, 11:33 am

Quote: Matthias Russell @ Dec. 30 2010, 4:03 pm

I agree with you there- JJ had no purpose for Chekov other than comic relief. I love the character but it was very obvious. Hopefully, He'll have a purpose in the next movie.

"A little suffering is good for the soul." -Kirk

KelisThePoet

Report this Dec. 31 2010, 12:23 pm

My biggest problem with Chekhov in the new movie is his age. I haven't checked with any encyclopedia-type sources and I can't remember if Chekhov's age is mentioned in the original series, so maybe technically, Chekhov's presence in the prequel movie is not an error in continuity. But in the new movie, Chekhov is presented as a very young sort-of-prodigy, and in the original series Chekhov is also introduced as a very young sort-of-prodigy, so I would not have expected him to already be aboard the Enterprise by the time of the prequel movie. It feels too early.

But I get the impression that Spock sort of took Chekhov under his wing in the original series, so maybe in the alternate timeline, Spock's position on the Enterprise allowed Chekhov to get a position on the ship sooner, kind of like what we saw happen with Uhura.

Falor was a prosperous merchant who went on a journey to gain greater awareness: Through storms he crossed the Voroth Sea/ To reach the clouded shores of Raal/ Where old T’Para offered truth./ He traveled through the windswept hills/ And crossed the barren Fire Plains/ To find the silent monks of Kir./ Still unfulfilled, he journeyed home/ Told stories of the lessons learned/ And gained true wisdom by the giving. – Falor’s Journey, “Innocence”

tahmtahm

Report this Dec. 31 2010, 12:37 pm

The new movie has moved up everyone's presence on the Enterprise by about six years, I believe. From the original timeline, I think Chekhov would have been about 7. I don't think we'll ever get answers on how that happened.

S_Drag0n

Report this Dec. 31 2010, 12:48 pm

I feel that all the actors were very well cast in the new movie and that chekov was the best cast actor in the film.

Capt. SDrag0n

Icarus14

Report this Dec. 31 2010, 3:23 pm

Really? See, I though the guy that played the Klingon in "Errand of Mercy" did the best job out of all the characters(exception one). I mean, especially when he was ranting on about how he hated the stupid, idiotic grins. He never cracked a smile, but you could see Shatner was trying to laugh. His mouth was twisted up, barely able to keep it in. Although I think Leonard Nimoy did a good job of not ever smiling. I bet the cast tried really hard to get him to crack a amile.

"Only one, Human captain, ever survived the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you, are in front of me. If you value your lives, then be somewhere else." Delenn.

Fflanders

Report this Dec. 31 2010, 11:37 pm

Quote: KelisThePoet @ Dec. 31 2010, 12:23 pm

In Who Mourns for Adonis Chekov tells Kirk that he is 22.

"We have them just where they want us."

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 3:02 am

As we all know - Chekov was not an original main member of the crew (with either Pike or Kirk) arriving about a year into the original 5 year mission (presumably transferred or he just wasn't bridge personnel previously). So this is the first of many, many liberties this film takes with both characters and timeline. The actor hams it up dreadfully with his faux Russian accent. Mind you Koenig did that too! Originally Chekov was introduced for two reasons - firstly, in belated recognition of the Russian part in space exploration (by an embarrassed Roddenberry) and secondly to appeal to fans of the Beatles (who were big at the time) which is why he was a young moptop (although strangely not from Liverpool).

"Ve can have you back on Wulcan* in two days Mr. Spock!"

(* erm actually, no you can't since along with many other stupid things in this film - they blew it up - so NO visit for Amok Time, no return to Vulcan in ST-III or ST-IV etc.)

to boldy go where no man has gone before

WkdYngMan

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 3:19 am

The only reason he was brought on board was to appeal to the younger audience and because of his resemblance to Davey Jones of the Monkees.

Ghostmojo

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 3:43 am

Yes, of course, The Monkees (as well as the Beatles). And let's not forget The Monkees were a studio response to the success of the Beatles in the first place. But either way, the ST team responded to the popular culture of the time - as well as responding to Russian criticisms of the first season.

to boldy go where no man has gone before

WkdYngMan

Report this Jan. 01 2011, 3:53 am

- as well as responding to Russian criticisms of the first season.

Koenig was just brought in for ratings only.  I don't there was even much concern about Russian criticism.